motor help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Calvin, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I have a 60 h.p. mariner. I was taking some kids tubin the other day on my fishing boat. I went to make a sharp turn and the motor reved up like it kicked out of gear. It acted and sounded like it was in neutral. So i gave it a little more gas and it kicked back into gear. Anyone know what this could be? It happened twice. Only when i was making a sharp turn.

Also for some reason my throttle lever gets really hard to push forward and pull backwards sometimes. The friction thing is turned down so i dont think thats the problem. Something wrong with the cable or something? I wanna make sure its nothing that could leave me stranded out in the middle of the mississippi. Lol.

Thanks for the help everyone this page is great and i dont need to go anywhere else. You guys always have knowledgable answers. I love it.:big_smile:

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    It could be that your prop is catching air. it can happen if trimmed up too high while turning or that the motor is not low enough in the water. Take a yardstick or level and make sure your cavitation plate is level or below the hull.
    You may have to trim down while turning sharp.
    It could be a prop but it seems it would happen at other times than just turning.
    Drop me a PM if you need more details and let me know how it turns out.
    Make sure you get a throttle cable lubed up or fixed, as I had a friend break a throttle cable wide open in the river, scary!
    Big

3. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I'm thinking cavitation since it happened in the turn, only other thing that comes to mind is spinning the prop on the hub.

Q

4. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I bet your right it probably is catching air. When it spins in air does it kick into neutral? Either way ill make sure it doesnt happen again because im sure its very hard on things and its not worth messing something up.

Heres a stupid question, whats the best way to lube up the throttle cable? WD-40? And do i need to take it apart? Ill post a picture of the throttle if i need to. thanks for the replies!!!

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It won't kick into neutral, but your RPMs will jump since it's turning faster - air has less resistance than water:wink: It might feel like it's in neutral because it's taking a minute to "bite" into the water again once you get it level coming out of the turn.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    not sure on the throttle cable, but when making the sharp turns, try trimming the motor down a hair when you turn. will make it deeper in the water. i have to do that in my boat or i cavitate a lot and don't want to bust anything. i have a habit of breaking props on the colorado river by yuma without that help. :angry:
    gary

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If the cable itself is sticking the only thing you can do is replace it. If it is sticking at the control box you can open the control box up and lube the places that have had lube before. You will be able to see where. The cable always in my openion goes bad right at the bend right before it reachec the motor.

On the free wheeling I would guess the motor is to high out of the water and lets it free wheel on turns. As for jumping out of gear I haven't heard of one doing that before but if your cable is sticking it may not be completely in gear to start with.

8. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the help guys. Im on the road the now but ill be home Friday to check it out and lube up the throttle. Maybe change it if i can figure it out. Again, thanks for the help!

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I hate that stuff.

I use Remington gun oil in a spray can. I'm sure there are other good choices.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    PB blaster is the best you can use

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Definant cavitation. WHEW!!

Sharp turns push the water away from one side of the prop. It sounds as if it's out of gear because the load on the prop has suddenly been reduced by 50% with the same power input. As you come out of the turn the prop again gets the needed water to be efficient at the desired RPM's. Also if you were pulling a tube the load or drag of that tube is also pulling the back end of your boat, and if your tuber is daring they will be swinging outward to get the momentum from the turn to zoom across the wake. This also puts your boat in the "hole". Try making wider turns, less cavitation and will create more momentum for the tuber to race across the wake.