Motor Guide Wireless

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by droptine77, Mar 9, 2008.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Was wondering if any of you guys have one of the new Motor Guide Wireless Trolling motors? Thinking of getting one and would like to hear some Pro's and Con's. Thanks!

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have the W75 24v model. Although I have read good reviews on how smooth it is mine seems jerky when responding to the turn commands. Might be the metal boat, not sure. Possibly the key fob accessory would be better as most folks prefer using those. I don't have one as I rarely use mine fishing the rivers unless chasing bait with a cast net.

They take a little getting used to but it sure is nice not having wires or cables attached. Makes for a nice, clean installation.

3. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I put the 55pound thrust 12vt on my 14v hull last year and really enjoy it. Havent had any problem and no complaints to say about it. It moves my boat on the river and resevoir great! I want to get the hand control for more added ease of use.

4. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How much more will you pay for a wireless? I've been thinking about getting one as well.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I thought the price was very reasonable. Especially when you consider the wireless setup, no wire or cables in the way. It really is cool!:big_smile:

6. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where do I start? I have a w75 with sonar, well it used to be sonar! I bought the wireless thinking it would be good so I could move around the boat with the key fob. That is the only thing that I like about it. Mine leaked water in side of the propeller motor and froze up in frezing tempatures. That caused it to rust and loose power and speed. then I was at a early spring tournament in some rough waves and the rough water bracket cradle that goes over the top of the motor when stored up broke loose and allowed it be slamed up and down on the deck of my boat. It then shattered the transducer nose cone. I toke it in to be fixed for both problems. This unit is now only 3 months old. It was at the shop for 2 months waiting for parts. I can understand that. When I went to pick it up the nose cone was still broken and when I tried to us it, it still had no power! After a phone call they told me that they had replaced steering motor (nothing was wrong with the steering motor so none of the problems had been fixed.) Back to the dealer. Now after a week I get a call telling me that parts (drive motor and shaft) are on back order. (graaate!) It should only be till the 15th of next month! Nope, now two more months and several calls with Motor guide I finaly talk them into replacing the drive motor with one without the transducer (the one with still on back order) and now it works as a good trolling motor. After all of that I can finaly use it! Now at the KING CAT CLASSIC the side cover goes flying off at around 40MPH (by my head) all of the screws had come loose. I cant even us it now the steering bracket are also loose. Hard to catch shad with your big motor running! Well I opted to fix this my self so it wouldn't be at the dealer for a long time. As for the one handed deploy and stowe (not). this is the first Motor Guide I have owned and it has not been the best. I have had several Minn Kotas in the past and had no problems with them. The w75 now works ok, but is hard to hold on top of an object (hover) as for the wirless feature it is good for cathcing bait and the Keyfob is the best way to go over the foot pedel. I have talked to other people that have one and have had no problems with theirs. If you get one make sure that it can be returned if possible. I would recomend the Minn Kota Terrova!

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i had a minn kota co-pilot and got rid of it because the reaction time on turning was tooo slow for fishing over brush piles for crappie.it was great for catching bait when i was alone,but thats it.i ended up getting a minn kota 80 us maxxum pro w/ lift assist and love it.