Motor dilemma solved

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My big 200 Merc 'Black Max' started giving me a few problems this weekend. I changed the fuel filter yesterday, as it had a LOT of fine black crud visible in it. Well, that did not solve my problem. When I would open the engine up, the fuel bulb on the gas line would suck in, and the motor would bog down from lack of fuel. Planning to buy a new bulb anyhow, I cut the old one open today. It was literally full of broken down rubber shavings, which consequently had just about completely stopped up my fuel line. It's a wonder I didn't burn a piston from fuel deprivation. I'm sure the ethanol based fuel, plus age, contributed to the rubber components breaking down. The bulb has ALWAYS sucked in running at top speed, so I guess it has been somewhat clogged the whole time I have had this engine. So lemme see, I was getting 2 mpg and 45 mph with the line stopped up. Maybe with new components, I will get 1 mpg and 50 mph!!!!! :) Anyhow, it's always mighty gratifying to solve a problem. I was discouraged at the tournament blast off yesterday when I had to leave at half throttle. Had I been able to the spot first surrounding the 50 foot hole near where Sunbird caught the BIG fish... :wink:

Bill in SC

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    glad you got it fixed Bill. Looking forward to the sc gathering. I always got xtra bulbs, fuel line, clamps, alot of stuff---you never know what can go wrong.. I even keep an extra set of plugs: ya never know!:smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wesley, it's certainly better to have it and not need it, than the other way around. Good reply! I sent you some reps for your tip!

Bill in SC

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Glad you got it fixed Bill. Sometimes those things can just drive you crazy that's for sure.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    glad its fixed. I replace my fuel line every year at the start of the season its cheap insurance.

6. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    glad you got it fixed bill,i just finished one today that the ethonol had eat up all the gas lines.i changed every line from the tank to the carbs.had the same black shavings all the way thru the fuel system.and this motor was not very old.talked to a buddy of mine who is a mechanic also,and they had some gas tested that came out of a new suzuki df90 that the fuel line were eat up on the motor side.the fuel contained 38 percent ethonol! i thought this stuff was only susposed to have 10 % or less.i dont know what the cause could be except it came from the gas station with that much in it.he said the customer was hot!!sounds like someone might be in trouble on that deal.i doubt suzuki will pay for the warranty claim.but someone will pay in the end.i would suggest to everyone to run marine stabil or startron, or gas without ethonol.good luck mark

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, I went to get a new fuel line, but the ends on the pre-made lines would not work with my setup. Instead, I just bought the Attwood bulb, which says it's made from alcohol resistant materials. I will go in the morning and get alcohol resistant fuel line. I broke my winch strap yesterday, which had been needing replacing. I'll fetch a new one of those tomorrow.

Bill in SC

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good advice, Mark. I sent ya some reps out. Man, I have to scrape pennies to even buy fuel. NO way I could afford additives for every tank of fuel I burn. Hopefully the alcohol resistant components I bought will solve the problem. I have to get on my tachometer next and see why it quit. Then, my temperature sensor is also bad and needs replacing. Always something, but with my brother's expertise, most times a simple fix. :)

Bill in SC

9. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for the reps Bill,i feel that the additives are needed if its going to sit for a extended period of time.my gas does not stay in there long enough to hurt anything.i know that deal about scraping pennies brother.also just found a gas station that sells ethonol free gas.going to fill up tommorow. good luck mark

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya Mark. Mine runs at least once a week, 52 months out of the year!

Bill in SC

11. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Bill, I'm glad you finally got it figured out. But after it's been starved for fuel for so long, you might want to pull the plugs and check them, too - make sure they're not burned up. After it's been leaned out for so long, it will burn the plugs up.

People still don't realize how bad that ethanol is. You can't tell it as much in your bigger engines - like cars - but it's doing the same kind of damage. And even if you do have stainless steel fuel lines and no plastic fuel pump, tank or intake, it still carbons everything up. Cause it doesn't burn as clean.

The guy that owns the Kangaroo gas station here in Camden (and seven other stations in the Camden/Lugoff area) has a bike, and the ethanol put the whammy on it. So he doesn't sell gas with ethanol in it anymore. So I'm lucky I can find gas with out it.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I guess Ronnie answered my question as to is there service stations in the east which does not sell ethanol fuel? It seems like in Oklahoma it is about every third station which sells the ethanol fuel. I'd much rather drive a further distance and buy good gas than save the money by purchasing the ethanol gas. My friend and I have old motors, but to our knowledge, not one ounce of ethanol has ever been burnt in any of the engines. Nor will it be.

13. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    glad you got it fixed.
    the gas co. now how bad it is. i talked to some body at a station about how slow the pump was running and they said that the ethonal stops the filters on the pumps up. they change them every two days.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess I'll be watching the ethanol content on boat gas more closely.

BTW - about 90% of all outboard problems that I have had have come down to either the fuel bulb or the kill switch.

Thanks for the tips everyone.