Motor Controll Box

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Manny, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    My motor controll box is shot I think. The button you depress to throttel up without it being in gear will not pop out. I have a Quick Silver sidemount on an 16 foot fisher marine boat.

I messed with it forever and it will not disengage. Do I need to by a new one and forget this one or are their parts to buy for them ?

Are they interchangeable with other brands ?

Thanks Manny

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One of two things... you either have a weak / missing spring in the control box, or the control box has set up so long the grease in it has caked. I'd recommend you SLOWLY take the control box apart and record each piece you remove - preferably with a camera. Then clean the gear surfaces and apply new grease - Think it would be marine grease, or that white lithium grease. If the spring is broken, replace it. Reassemble the control unit and see what happens now. May make a difference and is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the box, even with a used one.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I apologize for the hijack,,, but does anyone know what the cover for the top of a throttle arm called?

You know, right where you grab a-hold of it.

I am going to need a replacement for mine and need to know what to look/ask for.

4. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Well I went ahead and purchased a brand new one. Im sure Ill sell the boat way before it starts to wear out again.

Wasnt cheap though.:sad2:

O'Well -I can be broke, but my boat cant be broke:wink: