Motor collecting debris......

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Apr 6, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    During the KC tournament last weekend, the river was coming up, and needless to say, there was a lot of trash and brush flowing down the river.

All this junk kept accumilating on the shaft of my motor, and would block the water from the prop, and the motor would rev like CRAZY, as the prop spun in a tunnel of very little water. I would have to stop, put the motor in nuetral, and reach over to clean away all the debris, only to have to do it again after another couple of hundred yards.

It seemed we were the only ones having to do this, that I could tell. What is the secret to keeping this from happening so much? I have a Mercury 25 hp tiller, shaft length seems the same as everyone elses, or close anyway.:confused2:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You can't avoid the trash, but a little shot of reverse will clear it, and you're good to go.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff,
    Could be the style of your boat.
    The flat bottom jons on plane really have nothing to "part" the water.
    A deeper V will tend to push the trash to the sides.
    Not sure how you can really help this except maybe run a little slower to keep the bow plowing some water.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It happens to everyone. It's just part of the game. Although yes the deeper the V the better it pushes stuff off to the side. Only thing you can do is zig and zag.