MOTOR AGE

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catman-j, Aug 28, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I just brought home a different boat what has an evenrude 9.5 hp motor. Where can I look online to find the age and possibly an owner's manual?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are you wanting a book to work on it? If you will post the model number I can tell you the year.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    model # 9422s
    serial# E05952

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That would be a 1964 model 9.5 evenrude

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Catmanjeff is my dad, and he sent me a picture of the motor, im pretty sure its not that old. i mean its possible, but are you sure?!?! Mine is a 4hp and its a 1992, and the casing is very similar...

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They didn't make a 9.5 after 1974 it went to a 9.9. They all were similar but different and the model number if right is a 1964. There ain't a nickles worth of difference between the 1974 and the 1964. LIL punkins they were called.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    that's the same conclusion I came to. Now if I could just find an owners manual for it
    I was told not to choke it because it floods easy. It is supposed to be rebuilt with 5 hours use. I'm taking it out tomorrow

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it ain't got no more hrs then that mix your first tank at 24:1 until you get 10 hrs on it. Run it about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle until the last 2 hrs then you can wind her out. If she goes to smelling hot on yea lay your hand on the head right above the spark plug and if she is to hot to touch remove that t-stat and replace it and the impeller.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Can't get an owners manuel but a repair manuel can be had from thise here
    http://www.marineengine.com/ Look on the left side of the page and you should be able to run it down or just contact them and andrew and his crew are very helpful.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps to Willard for all the valuable info he applied to this thread. You da man, Willard!

Bill in SC

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I didn't see the post telling me to run it 24:1. I took it out this morning and ran it around a lake but I only opened it up a few short times. I hope it's ok.
    It did really good really easy to start once I replaced the fuel line and hose clamps. It was made the same year I was. VINTAGE:smile2:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Why jeff you still a youngun then. I was about to enter the relms of the mekong delta with charlie about a year later then that. In 64 I was still chasing the schoole girls But by 65 was chasing something a whole lot worse then that.
    I don't think you did any damage to it But I would mix it a little heavier though for about 2 hours of running.

13. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Those little 9.5's are excellent motors!:cool2:

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good post Jeff and thanks to Willard for all the good info.

15. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    That would be a 1964 model 9.5 evenrude. 15.2 cubic inch displacement.

According to the manual (Attached).

My Johnson 1964, 9.5 H.P. is White.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009