Motivation for catfishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, May 31, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    What keeps you going back to your favorite water weekly or even more that twice a week? What is the motivation that drives you in your quest of catfish? How do you handle the "skunk" and just keep going back? What is more important, numbers or that 30# plus cat ? Do you ever get "burned out" and if so, how do you handle it.

:0a36:

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I go fishing because I like it, and it is a good way to get away from the "real" world. Sure, I get skunked, but you never know when you will catch the big fish, or catch a bunch of fish on the same trip.

This year, I have decided to try new bodies of water since the usual place I go has not been very productive of late.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I go fishing for one reason only, the hopes of Catching A big Flathead..I only get to fish one day a week max, but that is what keeps me going.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Go Because I Love To Catfish, I Always Have.i Don't Have Any Desire To Fish For Any Species Other Than Catfish. It's Relaxing And I Really Enjoy It. There Are Plenty Of Nights That I Get Skunked, But Tomorrow I Might Hook Into My New Personal Best. That's Why I Go And That's What Keeps Me Going When I'm Feeling Burned Out.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I go because I enjoy it. The relaxation is also great. It is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. It is the joy of catching a big ol fish and releasing it to live another day.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I live and breathe fishing, period. If I could, I would fish all day everyday. The rivers and lakes are so quiet and relaxing, its a great escape from everyday life. I love fishing the river, because you never know what you will get. I try to get out at least 4 times a week, if not more. I have went for weeks on end without even getting a run, but the sound of the clicker screaming makes it all worth while. I've been fishing 20+ years, and I can truely say I've never been burned out. I love to golf, bowl, rollerblade, all that kind of stuff, but if its nice outside, and the wind aint a blowin, A fishing I will be. I have a passion for fishing thats hard to describe, and when I'm not at work or out fishing, I love to be on here talking fishing. I guess maybe its not a passion, more of a burning desire. Nothing pumps me up more than setting the hook on a fish and seeing the rod double over:big_smile:

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I go so that I don't give working any serious thought and I like the solitude.

8. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    after 50 or so hours of work, sitting on a river or any other body of water fishing for cats with some good freinds, stories, and the occasional good spirits keeps me going. landing a nice size channel is always a huge plus, and the quest for beating the previous weeks personal best. last friday i landed on cat, 35 inches, the next night one channel about 18 inches and maybe one other. was no were near a good night for catfishing for us, the river was real low, but was still a blast. i wouldnt trade my experiences, memories and good times out on the banks for anything. i reckon thats what keeps me going.

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Motivation?
    I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad and his friends. It just seems natural to me. I really wouldn't know what to do if I didn't hunt and fish. As far as catfishing goes, the only motivation I need is this, A CHANCE TO CATCH A REALLY BIG FISH ON ROD AND REEL. Yeph that's it. I bass fished for years and years and only caught one hear that one bass close to 10 lbs. I've been seriously catfishing now for five years (catfished all my life though but not seriously). My first year of serious fishing with the goal of catching a big fish I caught a 20# blue. I was thrilled!!!!! Since then, I have caught several over 30# and one 62# Blue last summer. The beauty of it is I'm catching these fish right close to home. It's only about 15 minutes from my house to the ramp on the river. Yeah I get skunked from time to time but the joy of being on the river with a chance is enough to keep me going back time and time again. I normally don't even see another boat on the river and when I do they usually are not catfishing. And another thing, I'm fishing a mid sized river that's not famous for it's catfishing. It's fame is duck hunting and ducks. I JUST LOVE CATFISHING RIVERS!!!!!!!!!

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Due to health problems (at least thats what I tried to blame it on) I had all but lost my motivation to fish, (you know, woe is me, woe is me.) Then my wife threatened me with drilling out my belly button and replacing it with a piece of plexiglass so I can see out when my head is where the sun don't shine. So to avoid major surgery, and with the help of the BOC, I'm slowly becoming more motivated.:big_smile:

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ESCAPE!!!

I suffer from a need to get away from the "real world".

I got skunked Tuesday night, for the first time in over 3 years. But then I almost always have another line in the water with worm, lure, whatever will catch something.

Burnout? It happens, mainly because when I am motivated to fish I am out there 4 to 5 times a week. I tend to go back to my other hobbies when this happens: reading, computers, whatever.

12. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep reminding myself that Catfish Hunter is still out there.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    i just love to fish period! I look forward to spending time with my son (and my daughter when she can muster the patience). When we get skunked I just look at it as the fish scoring one on us. Next best thing to them getting a hook in my mouth as far as they are concerned (I like to think:wink: ).

14. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    theres just something about being on the water. the way it smells the wildlife. even if the fish dont bite just getting away is sooooo relaxing. through a few beers in there and its even better!!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If I didn't believe I was going to catch a monster every single time I threw my line out, I wouldn't go fishing.

It's that kind of "eternal optimism" that defines a fisherman.

Sure, I enjoy being outdoors, spending time with family and friends, enjoying the solitude, blah blah blah -- but it's knowing that I'm just one cast away from laying into a huge one that keeps me on the water and keeps me coming back.

Heck, I drive 120 miles *each way* to go fishing, and I went 3 times in the last week, high gas prices and all. Didn't catch anything to speak of either - just a couple of 5 pounders and that's about it. But I'm ready to go back tomorrow!

16. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    For me, the part that keeps me going is the hit. When that catfish slams your bait and tries to pull the chunk of earth that secures your rod holder into the water with him. That's what it is all about for me. I think one BIG fish is better than a bunch of smaller ones. I can sit for twelve ours and not get a hit and be content with just knowing that at any time my rod may double over or start screaming with a big cat.

17. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You guys ever notice that when the fishing day is over you are exhusted? I know how relaxing the fishing is but all I can figure out on the exhustion is we've concentrated so hard on what we've been doing that we're mentally worn completely out. I just love it man!!!! But by the time I get home I could sleep on concrete.

18. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

I've been trying to explain that to my wife for years! She thinks it's the beer :0a19: