Mother nature's bust!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by SangamonCatKiller, Mar 13, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Busted! Couldn't resist fishing for em' this weekend, I just couldn't. A week of 60 degree plus weather and 70 degrees with a front moving in on the day in question. A front moving in, a big one! We found ourselves in high water conditions early on friday afternoon and were able to find some good current breaks near cover. We had all set up before sunset and were ready to go. I knew of the storm to come and figured we would get sent home early. Had noah radio on and it was stating that some weather was approaching from the west at a slow pace. We were nearly 2 hours away from the projected impact of the storm so we figured we had at least an 1 or so more of fishing. Baits were running the water was 54 degrees and hits had already alegedly been taken. As my confidence grew the sky began to light up. To the north of us, even the radio confirmed that it was moving away. We continued to fish. After a while I notice that the sky is lighting up to the west and north of us and grew concerned. I turned around at that point an noticed flashing to the south as well. We were surrounded! I called to my buddies via walkie and informed them that we needed to get the heck out of there! As we packed up the storm rushed in like a tidal wave. After a 1/2 mile walk through the forest we made it out as we were pounded with small hail and rain, with lightning clashing all around. Carrying 7 ft poles and steel holders is not a good idea for this situation! Obviously we made it but, the river is in horrid condition. The banks are well overflown and the current is unbeleavable right now. No fishing for a long while it would seem........... Oh yeah, moral of story: always pack up at the first signs of danger! I am lucky to be typing to you right now ! Lol.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Man, I'm glad ya made it out ok. Spring storms are nasty at times. Even with a NOAA weather radio sometimes ya just got to watch the sky and be ready to get off the water.

3. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    So Mother Nature caught you with your pants down, lesson learned. Just glad you made it okay. Shame about river conditions though...Good Luck :006:

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Been there, done that. Not fun ,huh? A few years ago, I got caught up fishing in the outer edge of tornado weather. It was only about 10 miles away. The wind was crazy!

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The fishing gods must have wanted you to fish another day.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad you made it out ok, it did look like fishing weather for a short while. I had a boat repair to make or I would have been out there too. I guess I was better off land bound. Next good weather... wind is too much now.

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Very lucky indeed.
    Years ago we got caught out on Lake Shelbyville during a tornado, and I can tell you what; it will never happen again.
    We were out in the middle between Lithia and the boat ramp when the Ranger started announcing over his speaker from the ramp,
    that a tornado had been spotted out by the airport and by the time we got turned around and headed for the ramp,
    the waves were almost six to eight feet tall and it was all the boat motor could do to climb them.
    Ever since then, as soon as the weather looks like it's going to take a turn for the worse, I head for the truck.

I seen what the Sangomon River looked like when we crossed over it on Rt 51 the other day. Pretty well full to its banks.

8. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    yes, full to its banks is an understatement. Here on the fairview bridge there are no banks. Water is about 40 ft, into the trees. Its a mess. I am depressed :(

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Just be glad your alive to tell the story! Many people get struck by lightning this time of year when fast moving storms blow in. Plus you had 7 ft. lightning rods!!!!

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    yep 7 ft lightning rods. 4 ft rod holder, a three pegged chair with steel legs. And finally, a butt load of trees to fall on us all.:)