Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large deep freeze converted to a bait well. Last night my aerator pump went out and killed all my bait, over 100 hand size sunfish. They had been fine in there for a week before this. I try to catch most of my bait early in the year before our farm ponds moss over and it becomes hard to catch them. I had a pump called 110 air running as well as a recirculating fountain pump. The 110 air went out and the fountain pump alone wasn't enough. I also have a drain system that exchanges 20 gallons of water per day so there is fresh water coming in each day.

What do you all have the best luck with on aerators? I want an aerator that pumps air into the water to complement my fountain pump that recirculates the water.

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
I use an atwood tsunami 500 for my portable bait tank and they work well but at 12 volt and need a converter to plug into the garage.

Other than a air compessor in the garage and a hose run to the permanent tank with a air purifing filter to remove oils etc they make some real nice and quiet smaller air pumps for large bait tanks, the best places to look are if you can find a supplyer that carries stuff for bait shops,as to what brand to get I have no idea, a friends baitshop runs some that have an external flywheel and a double head air compessor with a 3/4 hp electric motor, he's had them running 24/7 for over five years now without any problems they keep his 1000 gallon tanks well areated,he runs one on each tank,but I have no clue as to what brand they are,and I'm sure they arn't cheap.
Another gentleman I know runs a sump pump hanging in the water, and its worked good for years,but it adds alot of heat, his garage is air conditioned so it don't bother him,but the electric bill can't be giving him any love with a a/c and pump going.
I tried a couple high pressure pumps that worked great but didn't last very long,they arn't made for continuous service for days on end.
Honestly the best I've seen was the air compressor one,but he already had a 80 gallon air compressor mounted in his shop and just ran a line filter and valve to control airflow,and the compressor just kicks on two or three times a day,depending on how much air he's putting into the tank.

I have been thinking of making(or trying to) a areator out of a 1/2 hp electric motor turned so the shaft points down and a flat aluminum paddle mounted on it to reach the water and beat it to a froth which should keep things oxygenated.
A person could also search craigs list etc. for a oxygen maching from a medical supply,like they have for folks with breathing problems,I think one of those would make an excellent air pump!

· Registered
863 Posts
You can run a hose into the fountain pump line that will draw air into the line. You do not need the air pump. Harbor freight has fountain pumps for less than $10.00. I would add another pump and put the hose in to add the air. It will siphon the air into the water line just like keep a live pump does. More water flow will not hurt the fish. Set up both pump to inject air that way if one stops you have one that keeps pumping or add 2 more. Cheap way to keep your bait alive.

· Registered
9,833 Posts
you could run that atwood straight to a spare battery if you have one, just make sure you keep it charged, it works for me, I keep my bait on the boat in bait cooler all week, I just check it every other day to ensure the filter doesnt get clogged and the water remains cool, I change a little water and add a little shad keeper, I havent had a gill die in a couple months now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.