Most Memorable Shot?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Dec 4, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been lucky enough to have a lot of shots on deer but a few really stand out. They are the shots that will bring back vivid memories for a lifetime; the kind you talk about around the camp fire. Here is one of them.
    I had been hunting funnel area 30 yards from a field in front of me and 30 yards from a railroad embankment to the right. There was a big thicket across the tracks that I knew was a bedding area. I had been in the stand for 4 hours and was just about to climb down when three bucks came came charging across the tracks and came to a screeching halt right in front of me. A nice 6 pointer was closest at 10 yards with his back to me. I love that shot because it provides a large target and a hit anywhere in front of the back legs will put them down at that angle. I picked a spot right at the last rib and let the arrow go. Somehow the shot went high...real high, and hit the buck right in the back of the head! It sounded like a rock hit by a baseball bat. He went down like a sack of potatoes and never even flinched. Two inches higher and it would have been a clean miss. I'll never forget that shot even though it was technically a bad one.
    Tell us about you most memorable shots. I'll bet there are some good ones.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I was in the salt ceder, down next to the low water along the colorado river. I was hunting the ole fashioned way, of stalking with my bow. My brother and I were "creeping" into the wind, and had planned to spend the night as it was near 100 degrees and would be comfortable just laying down anywhere. I had seen many big "river mule deer" and had even pulled back on one or two and did not let it loose, as there were bigger bucks further out. I'm talking about the old bows now. I had a Bear Kodiak Mag. "bare bow" all of 65lbs pull, and the short model at that. Finally, I saw my buck, and took the shot. The "razor head" made its mark and it sounded like I hit a big hollow box. we sat down for a while, and with it getting dark, we had to start looking for it..... we were unable to find it and so we retired for the nite. Gosh, you know those summer nights are long... you hear the varmits, this and that... left my bow strung all nite for protection. In the morning we looked with no luck. when our dad came to pic us up in the morning, and asked how we did, I said that we had seen 5-6 deer, and one elk that I missed. You see we were on Indian land and maybe I just dreamed I got one.
    Later that year, I came back to the same area real early, and beded down to wait for the sun to come up. Later a skunk came walking through and I just "shooshed it away". Soon, I could hear something walking in the water next to the tules, and saw a nice "fork" and took it out. It went a short distance and it fell down. I alway thought that using a rifle with a scope was not fair hunting. I had used my Model 94 several times on other trips with no luck. So I got drafted and my life changed somewhat. I have shot two, and only landed one. Can't pull that old bow anymore, and can't do the crawling and walking to boot.

bayrunner ray

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Since i've only been bow hunting for 2 seasons now I can honestly say that EVERY shot has been memorable, even the misses, but I would have to say that it's probably a tie between my 1st deer, a doe that I killed last new years eve and the 10 pointer that I shot back on Nov. 12 of this year.

The doe was about a 15 yard shot which stuck in her left front shoulder. The mechanical broad heads I was using were unable to penetrate the shoulder blade and the arrow broke off. I couldn't find the blood trail at first so I started getting worried and called a friend who came to help me and found the trail right away. Darn thing ran 4-500 yards before dieing. Even though the broad head didn't penetrate and the arrow broke off the razors were still in her cutting with every step she took. That shoulder was so bad we had to throw that whole leg away.

The buck was heading toward my cousin who was about 75 yards away in a ground blind (I was in a stand) and it either caught his scent or saw the blind and stopped about 35-40 yards from him, turned a walked right by me at maybe 15 yards. I double lunged him and stuck the arrow in the ground behind him.

I will always remember both kills, but just in case, I have the broken arrow which killed the doe mounted on a nice oak plaque and the buck is at the taxidermist right now! :big_smile:

Eric

4. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Without a doubt it was a little forkhorn that made the mistake of giving me a second shot. It was election day 1999, out of school for the election. I had my dad drop me off in the morning and I was planning on walking back to my grandparents after the morning hunt. Well anyway shortly after daybreak I have this little guy come walking by me at what I guessed was 30 yards. I drew back and let one fly and it went right underneith him. He jumped and ran about 20 yards, then for some reason turned around and came back to the origional spot. Well the second shot went right behind his shoulder and I heard him crash about 60 yards away. To be honest I was surprised when I walked up on him and saw he had a small set of horns, I had not seen them prior to that.

My first deer with a bow, but not my last and Lord willing there will be several more to come in the future.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    For me it would be the first doe that I killed with my bow. She was about 15 yards away quartering slightly. I let the arrow fly and it went into her and stopped when it hit the shoulder on the opposite side. She didn't vet very far!

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've hunted all my life and have made some memorable shots some were good shots but most were blind sow luck. I've killed 2 squirrels with one shot on several occasions twice with a 22 wich was pure luck. One time on a muzzlelaoder hunt me and a friend was walking along the bottom of a draw and 2 deer came running along above us about 75 yards. I throw up and shoot and the lead deer drops like a ton of bricks, ( again luck normally if its running or flying its pretty safe from me ) the other deer skids to a stop and the guy I'm hunting with is just standing there with his mouth open and I tell him to take the other one and he missed it standing there broad side. The most memorable bow shot would be on a little 8 pointer I shot. I was at the bottom of a draw in a tree stand and the deer was on the other side of the draw from me he had stopped in an opening where I had a clear shot but was a little further than I like to shoot. The deer was standing broad side with his right side toward me So I aim a little high to allow for the drop and let it fly I here the arrow hit like it hit hard bone and the deer dropped in it's tracks. When I got to the deer I seen what had happened apparently the arrow did not drop and would have went over the deer but he must have turned his head to the left when I shot because the arrow was directly in his left ear and lodged under his right eye. ( Again blind sow luck )

7. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I was in the 8th grade. Used my dads 22 marlin bolt action. Was hunting bushy tails along a hardwood ridge and saw a turkey fly up on the roost. That turkey was 80yds. I put the crosshairs above his head and pulled the trigger. Peeow....................Thump! That turkey started fluttering around but hung on to the limb. I bolted another round aimed, peeow.......thump! That time the turkey let go and hit the ground running, I started after him and lost him in the ceders but heard him fly into a small sweetgum. I popped out of the ceders and there he was 15ft up. Peeow......he came down for good and I went home the proudest kid east of the Mississippi. Turned out ot be a jake so I kept his beard in my wallet all year long. I know this is not a bowhunting story but oh well........my most memorable.

8. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not really all that memorable but of the probably 75 deer I have taken with a bow have never had a broadhead blow a hole in 1 this big honestly that is the entrance hole it exited the brisket. 2 days 2 deer 1 stand. Doing my part taken the does out LOL... I have seen about 40 deer in the last 2 days sitting in the stand.

Attached Files:

9. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dang it wrong picture

Attached Files:

10. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    40 yrd bow shot on a young doe came in a dark put 35 pin on her held a little high and let her fly. The deer didnt move and by the time I put another arrow in she had already laid down to die:eek:oooh:

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Had to be the the "gut shot" I got on a cotten tail... "god awfull squeel", my paw was proud... it was a very long shot, tasted good.... didn't need all the noise though!

bayrunner ray

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Paraguay 1977, Clipping along a dirt road on a ranch in Paraguay. Out of no where pop out 5 rheas, (Humongous Flighless Ostrich like birds, 70 pounders). They are hauling butt running 30 miles an hour in front of the pickup my buddy is driving and suddenly the birds cut hard to the left trying to escape into a pasture. I am in the front passenger seat and hang an arm out the window a take a shot with arm out the window and stretched in front of the windshield and shoot 90 degrees in front of my buddy's nose. Super bird hauling butt collapses. I hit it through the neck with my trusty 38 S&W. Feathers for feather duster brought $5, hide fetched another $8, and the meat gotten eaten in a stew for supper. Did I mention hunting javelina with a thompson 45 machinegun full auto. Things were wide open down there back then. Thank goodness I finally ourgrew it.:big_smile:

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Good topic Billie. I shot a little doe between the eyes one afternoon and she did just like that one did of yours, not even a wiggle. But I think the one I like to remember the most was a nice little 9 point. It was late October and they were really working the white oak acorns. I had 3 stands set up on a ridge so I could hunt regardless of the wind directions. Well, I over slept. Crap, I never oversleep and now it's daylight. But I was going anyway I just didn't want to walk into my ridge stands and mess them up so I threw a climbing stand in the truck and headed to another place I had been looking over some but had never hunted. I slipped in best I could and got set up as quick and quiet as I could and checked the time. It was already 9:00. I got to looking around and I thought what a wasted day and I sure hoped nobody came by and saw me hunting where I was at because I stuck out like somebody on a telephone pole in a Walmart parking lot. I was in the edge of the woods on a fence row with a pasture out in front of me and the deer had been coming through a break in the fence by a huge white oak. I noticed that a bunch of the cows out in the pasture were watching something and I knew it was either a dog/coyote or somebody by the way they were acting. Well, turned out to be a deer. He came through that hole in the fence and started popping acorns at what turned out to be 19 yards. I can still see the arrow disappear into him and as soon as it did blood just spewed out. He never got out of sight he went about 15 yards and piled up. When I got my stand and deer loaded up I checked the time again and it was just a few minutes after 10:00. When I cleaned the deer I saw why the blood spewed like it did cause I had shot clean through the top of his heart. Oh, and later on I showed a couple of my buddies where I had my stand that morning and they both agreed that the tree I was in was no good because it was too open and there wasn't even anything to break my outline.

st

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Two stories come to mind, here's the first.

Years ago (Muzzy days) I was hunting an 80 acre property around Stilwell KS where I got my first P&Y buck. I was perched in my tree stand up on top of a bluff near a road coming up out of the bottoms.

A doe pops up out of the bottom and is on a beeline towards my stand. I get my bow drawn and settle the pin on target just as she comes within 15 yards. I release the string, and at the same time she turns to the right (away from me). The arrow sinks into the ground in front of her, and she tears off like a bat out of heck. It appeared to be a clean miss, so I got down from my stand to retrieve my arrow.

Laying on the ground near my arrow was a clean patch of deer hide about 4" by 4". I walk in the direction the doe ran off, and there's blood everywhere on the ground. I came to a barbed wire fence and there was blood all over the strands of the fence! So I hop the fence and travel another 20 yards, and there the doe lies.

I look at the doe, and find the patch of skin was off of her throat! The Muzzy broadhead had entered just under the skin, with two blades cutting off the piece of hide, and the other two slicing the jugular vein. The doe was completely bled out! Was definitely the cleanest field dressing job I've ever done!