Most fun I've had on Badin

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by floundahman, Aug 16, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I went fishing with my neighbor on Friday evening at Badin. The catfish fishing has been slow (caught 5 small blues all night). While he was throwing his castnet for shad, I threw out a sabiki rig. The white perch were everywhere and I was catching them on every cast! I caught 6 at a time, twice. They weren't big ones, but I caught more than 50 of them in about 45 minutes.

2. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man i spent all day on badin to day...had a great time catching lots of bait... but dame dident catch any cats:sad2: we were all over the lake, stared at the damn/tailwater and then tryed drifting down further, than at the tracks... are brim not catching any more?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I was out saturday and caught some. Caught 9 blues, nothing over 20lbs and caught 8 flatheads, biggest was at 30lbs. What you need to be doing is using those whiteperch for bait. this time the blues and flats love them.

Attached Files:

4. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What are you using to locate your baitfish on Baiden; electronics or are you just looking for ripples on top of the water. I'm headed down this weekend, but got nothing to put my bait in, just seeing if i can catch some before i build a bait tank. Any suggestions would be appeciated. I got a place on lakeshore dr, so anyplace around there would be good.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Patrick, Welcome to the BOC!. On Friday evening the baitfish were breaking the surface everywhere near the cove boat ramp. We had electronics but our cast net doesn't sink fast enough to catch bait much below the surface. We caught some smaller shad near the grass off the southern end of the island. After dark we used a green submersible light to attract some bait. It worked really well and we were able to catch bait "as needed". We never did find any shad any larger than 3" in length. Hope this helps.

6. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the welcome. Folks have had a place out on Baiden for 14 years, it was just 2 weekends ago that I figured out how to throw the cast net i've had for 8 months. I've always fished with hotdogs or chicken livers, but i netted a few baitfish and carolina rigged them to a circle and fish on...brother and i ended up catching 2 that went about 24 inches measuring from the 2x6 on the dock. Only fished for a hour and half right before sun down. Had a blast so i've been around collecting items i think could come in handy (bells, more circles, some head lamps, and hopefully a bait tank sooner or later) just gotta find the bait first before i dump a bunch of money into a bait tank that i can't fill up. Hopefully one day i will have a pic of me and mossy jaws as my profile pic.

7. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One more thing. Do you think that building a bait tank is worth it if i'm gonna mostly be dock fishing, or would i be better off shining a light in the water off the dock and just keeping them for short periods in a 5 gallon bucket with an aeroater in it?

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
  9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    sat morning I caught 20 or so perch at boat slip. then eased out into garr creek and caught threadfin in the net (lots of small stuff but got plenty 6-8), then went up to dam and caught blue backs by the netfull.

the bite was consistent all day but biggest fish was around 8 lbs. we had a good time but the big ones hid from us.

10. carelessthunder

carelessthunder New Member

State:
    north carolina
    for a bait bucket I had seen a guy take a five gallon bucket and drill hole halfway up the bucket then just tie it to the dock letting it sink about halfway down. May not be the best but very cheap

11. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've attached a picture of my bait bucket. It's a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled in the top and the top 4" of the side of the bucket. The larger holes on the top (2) and sides (2) are for tying the lid to the bucket (learned the hard way that this was necessary to tie down both sides). Tie the lid down with a small length of rope (I use 1/2" nylon rope @ 24" long). Tie a longer rope (4-5') to your dock and directly to the smaller rope on top of the bucket. The bucket will float upside down which allows water to flow through. The bucket I use has a cap that screws on which I can remove and slide my aireator hose into the bucket. This has worked well for me and it's very inexpensive.

Attached Files:

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    bait is tuff to keep alive, even in an expensive bait tank. best way to handle it is to "pick" which baits you will fish with live and put them in tank. if the bait is to large or small then put them in a bucket of ice. the less fish in the tank the longer they will last so if you know there is some bait you will not fish with live then dont put it in the tank. if it were not for wanting some live bait, then all bait would go in a bucket of ice...thats still fresh bait.

13. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was under the impression that Flatheads eat only live bait, and they are the ones that are biting this time of year...this is why i have been researching building my own bait tank. Have i been miss led or is this the case? I read that blues eat cut bait and live bait, and are more active during the spring/winter months.

14. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also something was said about a submersible green light to atract baitfish. If this is so were do i get one, and can't I just castnet them as I go. Can i use a flood light shined in the water to attract bugs and in turn attract bait fish, or will throwing a cast net throughout the night scare of my trophy catch??

How about something like this to keep bait in off my dock or do you think that the bait will beat itself up to much. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...4_100000000_100011000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Patrick, flatheads prefer live bait, however they can be caught on cut bait, especially in the cooler months. You can buy the submersible lights at Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, or Gander Mtn.

16. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks a lot floundaman, headed to gander mountain over lunch. Do you think that green is the best color?

17. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I useally use around a dozen live bait. I dont put it on every rod. blues are still biting, there just not as aggressive as spring/fall. flatheads do favor the livebait and I'll have alot incase they favor perch over bream,bluebacks,threadfins that day. when I say only what you fish with live in the tank... when you throw the cast net sometimes there will be 20-50 shad at times, if you catch 100 mixed baits and put them in a tank they will die quickly and you will have no livebait. last year I was catching blues out one side of boat in the deeper water and flatheads out the otherside in shallow water. nothing about catfishing is cast in stone, if you find something that works stick with it. I also try to put a "bait" rod out to catch a few fresher baits for long trips. when you get decent with the cast net catching bait will be pretty easy most days, and sometimes you have to go fishing for bait:big_smile:.

18. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For my bait tank i had planned on doing something like this. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88777
    I already got a guy that can get me a gas station cooler like that i just gotta figure out how to rig up the pump, what kinda pump, and other things about it, plus i'm not an electrican. I didn't plan on keeping many more that 20 live baits at a time. I've read that a rule of thumb is no more than one shad per gallon of water. I figure one of those coolers is at least 20 gallons. I see what you are gettin at though with the over packing the bait tank when you said put the rest on ice, if you catch a bunch of bait fish in your net. I also plan on doing a little striper fishing as well and think that a bait tank would benifit me there as well.

19. fisherhead

fisherhead Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jerry and anybody else...

Where do you guys catch the white perch? Do you just put a line down while you are throwing the cast net or do you have specific places you get them? What is their bait of choice?

20. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Chris, Welcome to the BOC! I used a sabiki rig to catch them last week. I had a 1 oz. bell sinker on the end. The perch were breaking the surface after small shad. I was fishing near the cove boat landing at Arrowhead Campground. You can catch them on minnows, livers, worms and small shad. The Sabiki rig is my favorite though.