Most exciting camping trip you've been on!

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by tofish, May 15, 2007.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    mine i guess was somewhere in the white mountains out arizona. i was maybe 13 or 14. (had many others but this sticks with me) we camped with our neghbors for 4 weeks. made a dry camp somewhere in a wide spot in a dirt road that had a water pipe i remember that had leak we got water from. boiled it at used it for cooking and drinking. just before sunset, a blackbear came towards camp. mr linde picked up a long branch, started yelling at the bear and ran at it. we laughed as he chased it down the hill, and out of site. after awhile though, we didn't hear anything. thinking things okay, starting putting camp together. suddenly, heard some screaming, and saw mr linde running up the hill, the bear right behind him. (we were camped at altutude) he grabbed a aspin tree and shimmied up the skinny trunk. now he's up the tree about 15-20 ft, and the bear is pushing, pulling and chewing on the tree. i swear that tree was only about 8" in diameter. so, ,my dad, me, and his son go down, start chucking rocks, sceaming, and yelling, at the darn bear. finally, it gives ups. (at the tree, not with us) and grunts, growls, and then wanders off like nothing is going on. it took us (i'm guessing cause been a few yrs) about 15 minutes to talk mr linde into coming down from tree. ever since then, mention bear around, and he'd head for a tree. forget family and friends.
    gary

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    great campin story, thanks for postin, was too funny.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know if this is to exciting but was scary.me my uncle and his son my cousin was camp out hunting one time and when it got time to get up couldnt get doug up.we thought he was drunk.i went outside and the ground was covered with blood where he was throwing up the nite before.we took him in to the hosp. and it seems he had an ulcer rupture almost bleed to death before we got him there.

4. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not sure if I have a favorite camping story because I have too many to choose from. Since my freshman year of college, my friends and I have traveled all over to go on week long fishing trips. We have been to Table Rock Missouri, Dale Hollow Tn, Lake Pickwick Ms twice, trout fishing in Pn, and this year I'm heading to Watts Bar Lake in Tn. It is great getting out with the guys and doing nothing but fishing all week and just roughing it!

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i grew up in a camping family. (thank you mom and dad) we camped every summer. all over the western states. one day i was in tucson az, and the next was at 4 corners. where i had one foot in arizona, colorado, new mexico, utah at the same time. so many memories of those days. but, sadly, those days are gone now. (at least out here) too many idiots, phycos, (spl) and so forth. i tried to take my kids camping as much as i could. (i was in the marines, so was gone a lot) two out of five still love to camp, so guess that is good job. rest will, but need help still. LOL
    since so few seems to remember their most exciting camping trip, WHAT ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORIAL CAMPING TRIP? i'm refering to family wise now.
    mine was this one of many.
    about 7 yrs ago, (guessing now) my dad and i took boat to dorshack reservor in idaho. (he was about 82 then). we went up the lake about 50 miles and found camp. set up, and one of those sudden thunder/lightning storms came up. right on top of us. (we come smell the ozone and our hair was actually standing up at times). since tent was under tree's, we didn't like that, so we headed for table where we had tarp set up. ended up, making coffee and sitting up and talking all night. best time i can rememeber spending with him.
    now, i may have posted this before on another string, or mayber it was another forum. but this i will never forget.
    gary

6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Not my story but worth telling. This was aprox 25 yrs ago. My best friend's oldest boy Charlie was about 17 then. He told Charlie to get some of his friends and he would take them hunting on the deer lease. The deal was they were not going to take any groceries with them. They were only going to eat what they could harvest off the land, and they were going to have to cook it themselves. Those boys had everything imaginable to eat that week. From birds to frogs to Armidillo. The amazing thing about this trip is that all these years later, one of these boys will come by and tell my friend that they still think about that trip, and that was the most fun they ever had.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    am i the only one that remembers the camping trips? only a few have told theirs. all good.
    allright, here's another one i remember.
    this was my first deer hunt. was maybe 13 or 14. brother and i left las vegas, nv and drove north to pioche area. got there early in morning. put up tent, don made some coffee for him, (i drank coke) and we headed out first light. (we'd been up all night) found a spot on hill and set up overlooking valley and other hillside. i remember using glasses and seeing a buck on far hillside but too far to shoot at. don saw too. we both watched it move down hill slowly. about a hr or two later, i took drink out of canteen, and realized buck we were watching was a tree stump. we figured we needed to get up and move around as were falling asleep sitting there.
    we decided that i would walk low in canyon and he would walk along the top. after a ways, he called me to come up to him. there was a little dust bowl about 3'x8' and two perfect cat paw prints in it. said that the dust was still settling in prints when he got to it. (we were being stalked). now we got nervous. that night, we got ready to to hit the tent and sleeping bags. had pistols by sides, just in case. during nite, heard what we thought was a woman scream in mortal pain. (first time ever heard mountain lion scream). needless to say, we didn't sleep good much the rest of night. never got a sight of a deer. but for first hunt, was probably my most exciting hunt ever.
    talked to ranger that afternoon and he said the cat was probably just curious about us. could of fooled us though.
    gary

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Loaded up our gear in the boat and went across a lake in Colorado to Elk hunt, bear sign everywhere woke up to a bear nosing the tent then walked off.
    One night parked the boat over a beaver run, they kept us up all night slapping their tails on the aluminum hull, we never figured out what that noise was till the next day. We thought it was bears messing with the boat.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: I suppose my favorite would have to be back when my oldest daughter was in the Girl Scouts and they had a Father /Daughter weekend camping. Had to sleep in a 2 person tent.Miserable weekend weather wise.We had sunshine to start,then that night it started raining ,then sleet,then snow.We woke up next morning and couldn't move.Couldn't figure out what was so heavy on top of us.The stupid tent had fallin in on top of us with the snow and ice on it. Other than that it turned out to be a really great weekend. I would 'nt trade that weekend for all the gold in Fort Knox.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    camped out at the old coastgaurd station in port oconner texas one time.freak storm blew in and blowed all the tents down.what boats didnt sink got blowed away.coastgaurd choper found mine 200 foot up on dry land took 9 of us 3 hours to get it back to the water.never did find all the boats.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    My grandfather's brother (we called him Uncle Walt) had a great camping spot near Lindsay Oklahoma while I was growing up. We used to camp there fairly often when I was a kid, even though it was about 2 hours from home. It had a fantastic fishing pond that was deep, clear, and full of old dead trees. My dad taught me how to bass fish with a rubber worm at that pond, and he also taught me the joys of catfishing with dip baits there. One time while camping there, we just got there and got camp set up when I set out for the pond to fish. I walked up to a steep ledge and looked into the clear water to see a log with a huge catfish tail sticking out from under it (he was 12 pounds, enormous to me back then.) I ran and got dad and he took his big rod down there (now my big rod & reel, by the way) and dropped some spongebait by that log in the water. I said "Dad, that fish is just sitting there ignoring your bait, you ain't gonna catch him!" Dad reassured me that the fish wouldn't ignore it forever and walked off. About 20 minutes later, dad had that fish on the bank and it was the biggest channel cat I'd ever seen before. Before nightfall we'd caught another about the same size & we tied the stringer to a tree branch before going to bed that night. When I got up the next morning, I ran to the tree to look at the big ol' cats again and they'd ripped the branch off during the night and swam away with our stringer. I was severely ticked off.

Another time at the same pond, we camped there with our school superintendent and his family. Dad brought everything he could think of that time, including a lawnmower. He mowed us out a baseball field and we played softball in the evenings on that trip. It was awesome. We found an area where the perch were nesting, and we caught perch after perch while dad would clean them and drop them immediately into the grease. He finally got sick of cleaning & cooking perch and told us to lay off. While fishing on that trip, I had my first encounter with a cottonmouth. I told dad to look at that snake way across the pond, he was headed our way. Dad told me that the snake was more afraid of us than we were of him (yeah right, he didn't know it was a moccasin.) About 2 minutes later, mom and I were fighting that snake off the bank with fishing poles and dad beat him to death with a wooden softball bat. That sucker headed straight to us and never veered. He wanted to come get us for sure. Man, I hate moccasins. On that trip, my sister got a hook buried in her finger for the first time as well. The hook went into her index finger and curled around the bone. Off to the emergency room!!!! That was one lesson I didn't have to learn myself.

I was very lucky to have parents that took me camping. I loved every minute of it. My kids are now campers too. We take them camping several times a year and we all fish our guts out the whole time. :cool2:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd have to say that the most exciting camping trip was when I was on my way back home from Lake Ouachita, looked in my rear view mirror, and discovered that I was towing a fireball. I had put a couple of bolts into the side mounts of a battery so I could hook my trolling motor to it. Seems the gas tank got up against the bolts, burned two holes in the tank, and set the gas on fire. Burned up some tackle, my paper graph recorder, and warped the boat very bad. Would have been worse if a passing motorist hadn't stopped with a fire extinguisher.

But the most memorable trip happened way back when I was a teenager. My dad was home on vacation, and we decided to take an overnight fishing trip up above Chattanooga. We had a little trouble getting there. A blowout on the left front. Pulled the spare to put it on, and it was flat. Rolled it about three miles back up the road to a gas station, and aired it up. Rolled it three miles back, put it on, drove a few miles, and it blew out. Took one of the blown tires and started back to the nearest town. Got a ride, so it wasn't too bad. Bought a used tire and had it mounted. Started back to the car; lucked out and got another ride. Put the tire on and made it to the river. By this time, the day is almost shot, so we did a little fishing and heated up some cans of something for supper. Slept in the car. Next morning, it was misting rain. We built a fire to cook some breakfast, ate, and were standing around the fire trying to decide whether to fish or just quit and go home. I noticed an 'old' guy putting in a jonboat--both he and the jonboat looked like they had seen better days, but I went over anyway and started talking to him, hopoing to find out if there was somewhere we might bank fish and catch something. He was a commercial fisherman, and when I asked him what he used for bait, he said, "Ivory soap." I didn't want to call him a liar, but I didn't do a very good job of looking like I believed him, either. So, he took me over to his boat and showed me a case of Ivory setting in the boat. He shoved off in the boat, and I started back up to the fire, just in time to see a stray dog that had been hanging around lift its leg and pee all over my dad's legs. Needless to say, that was the straw that broke the camel's back, and we packed up and went home.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my wife hates camping, so i consider myself lucky when i can get her to go.

we were camped out by cheyenne oklahoma, killing the fish, kids were catching fireflies, i got her an air matress, nice big tent, all the good stuff. well before we went to bed someone had left out 3 loaves of bread. you know the story, the coons showed up for dinner. i guess they had a dispute over who owned the bread, because they got to fighting and snorting and all the stuff a mad raccoon will do. wife wakes me up frieking out, because she didn't know what it was and she had to go pee. i got my .45 and was going to break up the fight, but they all looked so comical when i popped out of the tent i couldn't do it. there was a coon on his back with another one locked onto him, another one standing on the table with the bread in his mouth, and a few others just standing there. they kind of dissolved into the trees, and then one dashed out to get another piece of bread and was gone. it was hilarious, although my wife didn't think so.

one of my more memorable camping moments.

i got another one, if yall don't mind a long post.

we were in scouts camping up in hull valley in idaho. it's a gorgeous place way up in the mountains. well i have always liked snakes, and this camp was covered up in rubber boas. they are a cool looking innoffensive snake that decoys predators with its blunt tail, and they almost never bite. well we had caught a mess of them, and decided to store them in the scout leader's tent. not being malicious, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. well we got to trout fishing and doing pretty good, and by the time we got back to camp we forgot all about the snakes. the scout leader got back after we were in bed, but we heard him when he turned the light on! i thought he was going to kill us, there must have been 20 snakes in his tent, haha.

14. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think my story is going to be a touch different than most peoples stories LOL. I have 3 sons, and they love to be scared. I taught my boys when camping we do work then we play, whether we are on a fishing camp out or a playing camp out. First we set up camp, then we take care of fire wood, then we eat. These boys love scary stories and mishaps in the woods. They love it so much they used to invite all their friends. We went to our favorite primitive camp ground on the river. We had 13 tents, 17 kids and 12 adults on this camp out. After all the work is done, and the meal taken care of and the sun goes down, we sat down around the fire to tell ghost stories. During the middle of the scariest part of the ghost story a mysterious dummy (that I hand made and brought along) came crashing down out of the tree on top of one of the friends of my boys. We camped for a full week that year with all of us. So every night was a different haunting, a different scare, and a different target. The boys named the now famous dummy, that played his part very well for several years after that week. They called him Machette Mike. LOL. Was a great time. Every year after that our group of kids got bigger and bigger. The kids begged us to take them. Boys and girls LOL