Most embarrassing fishing experience

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman529, Nov 17, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So what was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you while fishing? Ten gold coins to the best entry. Five to the second and third best. I will select the three best entries in a week or two so keep em coming...

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    When I almost went fishing with Jerseycat9.........Whew, that was close, LOL:cool2:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hmmm well the list is long but I think the one that takes the cake for me is this one. I had been fishing all night and the sun had just started creeping up when I had a call a nature. So off to the wooded area I go. Well about half way through it I hear someone walking down a trail so I start trying to stop the stream and getting ready to zip up when I look up and it is an entire Sunday school class with teachers coming down for a lakeside service. My face was rfed as a tomato

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well, year before this in a boat with two buddies, all bragging about our casting skill. I put on a little heavier weight, give the ole heave ho & out she went..and went...an all the line come off the spool. They just recently quit calling me "the spooler".
    :embarassed:

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I just remembered mine.
    Back in the 1980s I just bought a 14 foot jon boat and rigged it out with nice swivel seats, carpet, rod holders....yea, I was set. Put a 10 horse evinrude on it and headed to a local lake about 900 acres in size. So I get there and launch the boat, pull the rip cord and the motor starts right up. "This is great" i'm thinkin to myself as I set the motor to full throttle and start headin out. So here I am, cruisin along when I decide to reach for a drink from the cooler, problem was the cooler was in the front of the boat, so I let go of the engine tiller and begin to step and reach forward to get to the cooler, Big mistake! LOL. About two seconds after I let go of the tiller the motor slams full right and the boat starts doin full speed donuts........round and round she goes as I was flung around, disoriented and trying to get back to the tiller, It was a difficult task to say the least. I would imagine anyone on the shore had a good laugh:lol:

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive had quit a few but nothing can even come close to this!!:embarassed: :lol: :lol:

Benji, thats got to be a classic. :big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Once when i was new to using long river rods i was fishing with my pop in law and i rared back and let er rip and thats exactly what happened there was a big ole oak tree and the line hit that thing and pop went the line then zzzzzzz went the reel and @#$%^ went me and my father in law said oh you might watch for that tree than i was re-spooling while he was catching fish

8. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    copycat that takes the cake

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    You guys defenitely got me beat. My girlfriend at the time and I took a couple that was friends of ours out on my boat to fish. The girls were just chatting while we fished the front/back deck. About an hour and a half after we start I get NAILED on a black/blue stone jig. I saw the bass jump ( had to be 12-14lb) and I immediately began to whoop holler and rave. I've got relatively strong line for flipping/pitching, so I immediately start trying to haul this big boy in fast. Everyone in the boat is just looking at me doing the crazy dance. Ive got my line super tight and next thing you know the bass spits it. And with all that line pressure I end up with a knew hood ornament, right on my nose. At this point everyone is just super quiet and begins laughing as I steer the boat to the ramp to head to the hospitol.

Having a 1/2oz. Jig hooked to your nostril is not fun, but having it in front of your friends is really not fun.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I was fishing with a friend across from a amusement park (which was packed) and my friend got hung up on a dock. So we trolled over to the dock to unhooker her line. Well I had one foot on the dock and one on the boat and a gust of wind hit the boat. I fell in. When I climbed on to the boat I got a standing ovation from the people in the amusement park. All I could do was bow.
    Jeeze talk about feeliing dumb! I hate wearing wet jeans.
    Bill

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    well I cant say if i was more embarressed or just scared.....a few members have heard this so... bear with me....

Several years ago, my husband and i went fishing. We'd tried different places and had been out and about for most of the day. I finally told him, I had to 'go', and walked over near some bushes. We'd looked all around and saw absolutely no one and hadnt heard anyone either. At that crucial moment when Im getting relief, I heard some men laughing and some shots were fired. Scared us mainly, about that time, he said.."OMG they see you!" I told him, "well I cant necessarly run with my pants down around my ankles either!" I finished what I started and walked back down to check my line. They were laughing and carrying on. Of all things...came over and wanted to talk:waaaht:. Awkward moment to say the least!

Oh, never did catch anything. :roll_eyes:

12. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Had been fishin with my uncle all night and had a large stringer full of 2-3 lb cats. He said it was time to go so we started taking everything to the truck. I brought up the stringer and he said no, just put em back for now and we'll fish for another hour or so. So I took them down and put the stringer back in the water. about the same time my pole started bouncing, so hastaly put the stick thru the stringer and reeled in my fish. We had already started another stringer so I put that fish on the new one. Time past and he said lets go and he went to get the stringer that was full. He loks and looks and theres no stringer. Then I remembered, I did'nt properly secure the stringer. So theres a stringer in the CA delta somewhere with about 30 cats on it. OOPS:lol:

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :lol: :lol: I'm sorry Bud but thats hilirious! I don't think thats an ideal way for one to pierce their nose if thats what they enjoy doing! Piercing the nose that is!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Yeah talk about being the butt of a joke... I heard jokes for the next month- (and what was sad was I was more upset over losing that MONSTER bass than I was about catching the jig with my face.)

" hey dude I broke my jig off, reach in your nose and grab me a new one"
    "at least youll be able to breath better with a third nostril"
    "oh sick dude you'll have a booger peephole"

etc, etc.
    such is the life of the village idiot
    **shrugs**
    :tounge_out:

15. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    No real way to make this a short story but I'll do my best to give the readers digest version.
    Many moons ago when I was around 10 years old (30 yrs ago) my dad took me and my two brothers on one of many camping/catfishing weekends on Hildebrant Bayou in southeast Texas. Hildebrant had and may still have two known critters in abundance, catfish and gators (ah oh).
    On the bank of one of the main feader creeks into the bayou, there was a semi clear spot where one well known gator would lay out and sun. Well known because it was not odd to see this gator a couple times each weekend just laying on the same bank sun'in plus the gators size. Looking back, it was probably 8 to 9 foot long but to a 10 year old this sucker looked like godzilla on roids. This feeder creek became known in our family as the "gator cut".
    Dad had a 12 foot jon boat we would run trotlines in. One morning, it was my turn to ride with dad to check the lines. One of dad's lines was about a 1/4 mile up "gator cut". About halfway through running the line, I had to pee-pee. When we finished running the line, dad pulled the boat to the bank. He stayed in the boat and started cutting up some more blood bait, I got out on the bank to take care of buisness. The brush in the area was about waist deep to me. When I'm about half way through going #1, I hear this sound that sounds like air being let out of a tire, kinda a high hiss. I can't see anything but my dad very casually says, "gator to your right".
    At this instant, I'm having visions of that big ole gator that suns on the bank making a meal out of my young, tender ... backside. I immediately pivot to the left and jump into the 12 foot jon boat, my pants still down to my knees, still going #1. Jumping into any boat is not wise, much less a jon boat. My feet actually land in the boat, but that is about the only thing that touches boat as my momentum carries me head first right over the side of the boat into the water, pants still down, still going #1. When I pop back up, my dad, still sitting in the boat, grabs my shirt collar, drags me to the edge of the boat ... this whole time he is laughing his head off. He points to the bank and there is my gator, still hissing at me ... it's a baby that MIGHT be two-and-half feet long. :big_smile:

Thirty years later, I've yet to make it through a Christmas without dad telling this story to ALL the new family members and in-laws. :embarassed:

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ~The winner~

laidbck111 - most embarrassing story

I decided to boost the prize to 20 gold coins, thought it would be better.

My other favorites were:

IrishO'Brady - a close second.
    FishBrew and rebelzgrl76 - good ones also.

Thanks a lot everyone, and reps to the top 4