Most Effective Circle Hooks.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Roadkillwarrior, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What style or brand of circle hook do you guys find most effective. I purchased some KingKat circle hooks but havent had any luck yet but maybe ,most likely, Im doing somthing wrong.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I personally use Gamakatsu exclusively when I use circles. I would consider Daiichi, but the rest of them probably wouldn't make it into my tackle box.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I ALWAYS use Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks.

They have not failed me yet.

Be sure to use a bigger size than you'd normally employ.

The wider the gap...the better the "pivot" action works. This is what defines the circle hooks propensity to hook in the "corner" of the mouth in a high percentage of occurences. (Aka...automatic hookset)

You can't go wrong with a circle as long as you let the fish load your rod...running with your bait.

As soon as resistance is met...the "pivot" turns...and catches in the corner of the mouth as the fish moves along.

DO NOT set the hook...you are liable to jerk the hook out of the fish's mouth if the hook hasn't turned yet.

It's ok to sweep gently to the side after contact is made with the fish...in order to attempt to drive the hook deeper into it's jawbone.

Good luck! Just hang in there...but you some Gama octopus circles...keep your line wet...and be patient.

The experience will come to you.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks for me.

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are 2 kinds that I have used and had good success with. The first is Eagle Claw L2022 which is a wide gap circle hook, the other is Daiichi light chunk circle. I got my new Saltwater Sportsman today and I saw a new wide gap circle from VMC REF 7385, which I might have to try this year. Hope this helps!

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use to be a die hard Gamakatsu circle hook fan. Then I got a hold of Team Catfish Double Action circle hooks. These hooks are far superior then the Gamakatsu hooks. Not only are they a circle hook but you can also set the hook with them.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have been using some Owner Hooks called,"multi-use" they are a "cross breed" between kahles & circles. So you can set 'em yourself or let 'em load up either way. BTW they are incredibly sharp :big_smile:

8. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree...My fav is the Gamakatsu 8/0 circle as well...I have used many but rely on this one to be the most productive...

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Gamas and Lazer Claws I have used. I put a bunch of lazer claws on my jugs and they seem to work good at catching eater channels. I have not had any problem and the cost and availability of them are outstanding in my opinion. To target larger and more for the sport of it, I'd go with gamas like everyone else is chiming in on. I have been looking at the team catfish hooks, but the price for them kind of detours me away... not to say Gamas are cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only one i use is Gamakatzu 8/0 octopus circle 4x strong.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks from 3/0-8/0....

Simply the best. :wink:

12. youngbuck

youngbuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree thats what i use.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've used 6/0 - 8/0 Gama Octopus Circles with great success for some time now but I recently bought some Team Catfish 8/0 Double Action hooks that I've only got to use a couple of times but I think I'm going to like them as good hopefully better than the Gamas but I will just have to wait and see, I will have to fish with them more before I can make that call.

14. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Owner Circle Hooks 6/0-10/0 i love them to death. They are alittle expensive but they are worth it. they are like $3.50 for 4 hooks :eek:oooh:. (Because they made for saltwater)

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have used and like the Gamakatsu Octopus Circles. I wish I could find them in a larger size than 8/0! :sad2:

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    From what I hear, one of our sponsors will soon have them (Gamas) in 10/0 and 12/0.

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well if that does happen PLEASE let me know!!!! I been waiting on them to come-out with a bigger hook than the 8/0 a 12/0 built like the 8/0 would be nice:tounge_out::big_smile:

18. AlwaysFishin

AlwaysFishin New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use the Gamakatus octopus circle's as well. They are one of toughest hooks as well as most effective. Just have to remember not to jerk when setting the hook. The fish will hook itself.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea you did something wrong, kingkat circle hooks are dull at least the ones i bought were. the king kat rods are an excelent circle hook rod the king kat circle hooks are no good go figure. use the king kat ROD with the gamakatsu circles or another brand mentioned and youll be hooking up for sure.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when i first started using circles five years ago, i picked up some vmc vanadium octopus circles. they have never let me down once. i have been looking for somewhere to get them bigger, say a size 7/0. i put them up against the gamas and they are just as good, but cheaper.