Most bizarre thing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 24, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm looking for some really bizarre things that's happened to anyone. I was reading a post about fishing ghost stories. I was wondering what other bizarre stories there are. You can post it here but all stories will be included in the "What's your fishing story?" contest in the Channel Catfishing section. It does not have to be related to channel cats but can be any bizarre fishing story. Only write true stories, please. Winner of the most bizarre story wins 25 gold coins. Winner of the main contest wins 20. If the winner of the main contest wrote a bizarre story on this thread, that person gets 30 coins.

If you don't have a story or don't want to post, feel free to donate coins for the contest. :cool2:

Thanks
    Tight lines

Catman

2. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Okay, I guess I'll dive in. I've been thinking about posting this anyway.

I am lucky enough to have several catfishing rigs, so when I go fishing, I usually throw out at least 4 rods. It's usually a couple of Tigers, a white Catfish stik, and a Rhino rod all topped with 6500's or 7000's. I use hi vis Power Pro 50# line and 5/0 Gama circle hooks. One rig in particular is a med. action Tiger rod with a 6500 C4 LE reel. Okay, now for the weird part. The last 9 or 10 times I've been fishing, I've had bites on almost every rig I've set out, BUT... I've only landed fish on the med. Tiger/6500 C4 rig! Every catfish I've caught for the last three months has been on this rig. I don't know why. Sometimes I throw it out to the left, sometimes to the right, and sometimes right up the middle. My other rods get hits, but I can only hook up with the Tiger/C4. I'm beginning to believe I have a lucky rod on my hands! Hey, it could be yours for a million bucks! Who's next! Doug

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great story. I also use a Tiger rod (shakespeare) w/ a Tiger spinning reel. Sounds like its a good rod.:smile2: Let me know if you ever hook one with another rod. Thanks for sharing

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A couple of years ago, a buddy and I were fishing at Mark Twain. Right before dark we heard a coyote howling just over a ridge. Really making some racket. Next thing you know that coyote krept up on us. I mean within 40 yards and sat down and was staring at us. I know they're very skiddish, and this was unusual behavior. After about 15 minutes, he finally started moving along very slowly. I guess we were in his drinking hole or something. Anyway, it was kind of cool and weird at the same time.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a first for me anyway...I was fishing a small lake last monthIi had a couple of poles set with floats at different depths and one on the bottom. After about 30 min or so I decided the check baits and recast. I go to reel in the bottom pole and it feels like I was pulling something...maybe a limb I thought. There was a fella and his son fishing across from me so they yell "got something?" I'm not sure...I get the line in and had snagged a dead flathead under his bottm lip. He was stiff as a board:smile2: now I have never seen that before.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    This happened to my buddy while I was in the boat.

We were fishing a tournement on the Ohio River. Well we went to toss the anchor in and the rope was tangled bad and the whole thing went over. lost a nice anchor. Well of course i was laughing about it and we went about our fishing. Well we moved spots later, about 3 miles upriver.

We get set up and sit for a while, no bites, and decide to move again. Well we start to reel in and he says "man i snagged a log. it feels like a huge one" well he reeled it in slowly. then he got it under the boat and it started to fight! Everytime he would get it off bottom it would start swimming and fighting. I was getting excited because I thought he had a big flathead on. Well he did this for a while and finally brought it in. I had the net and when i went to net it i saw it was an anchor rope. I grabbed it and pulled in a nice anchor, same day he lost his. But to make the story even better, it was one of our buddies that lost it 2 summers before in that spot and we were with him. It was his favorite anchor and we gave him grief about it nonstop, u shoulda seen his face when we brought it into weigh in!

7. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    This is the story on how I lost my cell phone.
    I was fishing at a small pond that has some big fish in it, and me and two other people i was fishin with caught a few good catfish. Well I had to use the bathroom so i told the two two watch my rod, and right as I got my belt fastened back up......splash..... in went my Rhino rod and reel. Well I was feelin perty down and out but I didn't stop fishing. Later on one of my friends poles bent over and He set the hook and a catfish with my rod trailing from it's mouth (along with a good deal of line) surfaced and I just said to myself, I am not losin that rod again. So I take off my shoes and socks and dive right in and I find the catfish and follow the line in its mouth down to my rod and reeled in the line on my rod and then my friend went on to get the catfish. Well when I got out I realized that my cell phone in my pocket and it was swamped so that is how I lost my cell phone.

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    My most memorable fishing trip was actually a deep-sea salmon trip. I had bought a seat on a charter trip, and the night before, I had been monitoring the marine forecast. It called for 14-foot swells and rain. Despite that, the trip went as scheduled.

The weatherman was uncharacteristicallly accurate. To put things into perspective, there were times when I would look around and see nothing but water well above my head. Shortly after we got our lines in the water, the rain started.

Most folks went into the cabin to get dry, but I needed the fresh air to keep from getting sick. After a while, even that didn't help. I ended up spending three hours soaking wet, chilled to the bone, and throwing up over the side.

That wasn't the worst part, though. The captian decided to troll over a school that was being stalked by sea lions. For those of you who think these are the cute critters from Sea World, nothing could be further from the truth. They are federally protected theives; as soon as someone would hook a salmon, one of the sea lions would eat the thing off the hook. To add insult to injury, each time that happened, the unlucky fisherman would have three dollars go to waste; the rigs we used were designed to drop the sinker after a strike. We lost four salmon to the beasts, and two of those were mine. Somehow, we managed to persuade the captain of the futility of the situation.

Near the end of the fishing day, things looked up for me; I managed to land a salmon that was just legal. I was looking forward to taking it home and getting a picture.

When we got to the dock, we were greeted by a Department of Fish and Game representative. She was looking for tagged fish. Unlike the normal tags, the salmon tags are a bit of wire embedded in the fish's head. I was the "lucky" one with a tagged fish. The DFG representative cut off the head for further processing.

So, by the end of the day, I was out $9 worth of tackle, I was soaking wet, and freezing cold, and all I had to show for it was a headless salmon.

-- Rich

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    This actually happened to my father and his buddy in the early 70's. They were fishing a lake in March and catching a few cats while chatting with the local game warden. His buddy pointed out a 'funny looking log' in the water that was slowly floating towards them. As it got closer, they realized it was a body. Evidently a couple of duck hunters had drowned several months earlier. They pulled the body ashore and the warden called the coroner. After the body was taken away, they continued fishing!

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Me and my step-son were recently fishing at a local lake. We were sitting on a concrete dock. I was fishing two rods, one out realy far and the other in closer. I hooked up on the pole cast out the farthest. As I was bring the fish in, my step-son thought I was getting a bite on my other pole. He started to grab it but I told him not to because the fish had crossed lines. When the fish got in closer, I made the mistake of letting him rub my line against the concrete and snap- the line broke. Well, to say the least, I was a little mad. Then I realized my other pole was still going. I gabbed it and reeled in a 10+ pound channel using the tangled mess. The only hook in his mouth was the one with the broken line. The hook and line that brought him in was just knotted in the original line. Effective, but not worth trying to recreate.

11. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    :waaaht:

You win.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like my kind of luck lately. Great story.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I posted this a while back on another thread but anyhoo my wife and i were at a pay lake fishing for channels and she got a bite . then finally brings the fish in well when i start to unhook it i show her that it is'nt even hooked the whisker is tied in an overhand not around the leader about three inches above the hook !

14. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

i was out fishing for trout and i had on rainbow power bait and i landed a channel on it. And i went to clean my hook of the little power bait left on the hook by dunking it in the water and snaged a blue gill through the head with my hook. it was bizar

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    most bizar , i was snagging spoonbill and brought in a winchester 30/30 with scope and sling . i checked the numbers with local sherif and it came up clean i still have the gun and it works just fine .

16. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 2 most bizarre fihsing trips Ive ever had both come from one lake. A small lake called Black Creek Lake in northern Texas. We set out one day to do some catfishing. I had made some homemade cheesey doughballs. I hadnt made them very well and they wouldnt stay on the hook. So we were using shad or liver or somthing else. I got bored nothing was biting and was throwing bits of my homemade bait into the water watching perch come nibble at it. After a bit the perch got full and there was an abundance of leftover dough in the water. some carp started comming up and feeding on it. I put a treble hook on a rod with no weight. Added some bread form my sandwhich. The biggest of the 3 carp grabbed my bait and took off. We were at an area with about an 8 foot ledge so I needed to walk him down the shore to a lower spot. He got tangled in a log about 3 foot from the bank in an area where the ledge was only a 2-3 foot drop. I wanted to land the fish bad as this was a nice sized fish so I gave my rod to my dad and climbed down into the water. The fish unhooked at exactly the moment I got to him so I "Bear hugged" him, because I didnt have time to get a finger in his mouth. I waded to the shore were my dad was, and when I jumped to get out of the water, I landed funny and put a bit too much pressure on the fish. The fish squirted eggs everywhere. The carp was about 36-39 inches, and we guessed it wieghed about 15#'s

My other adventure was at the same lake. We were bank fishing and we could hear this noise that sounded like wind from the forets behind us. It kept getting louder and sounding more like extreme wind. After about 15 minutes we knew something was comming. From the forest popped out a dust devil, for anyone who doesnt know what a dust/dirt devil is, its similar to a tornado except not caused from a storm, and usually occur is really dry and hot areas. This wasnt an ordinary dust devil, this thing was 5-10 times bigger than any I have ever seen. It came raging through our fishing spot, we laid down on our gear so that it wouldnt go in the water. A mile up you could see rolls of paper towels flying around from camp sites it had gone through. It then went across the creek area we were at, and started pulling water up, making it now a water spout. It continued onto the land on the other side were it went through a boyscout encampment.

When it was gone the damage we saw was: our 15-20# coleman gas grill had been thrown over a 100 feet and was damaged. Our neighbors tents were torn. The boyscouts had about 3-4 of there 10 tent in the water. And papertowels, plastic ware, table clothes, etc were flaling for around an hour. I have never seen another dust devil even 1/2 the size of this thing.

17. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    One other one, in reguards to

"I posted this a while back on another thread but anyhoo my wife and i were at a pay lake fishing for channels and she got a bite . then finally brings the fish in well when i start to unhook it i show her that it is'nt even hooked the whisker is tied in an overhand not around the leader about three inches above the hook !"

That reminded me. Last year I caught a freshwater drum, on a weight. I was drift fishing using a egg sinker and then a hook with bait etc. I got a bite, pulled up this drum. I noticed the hook wasnt near his mouth and I assumed the hook went all the ways through and he went up the line. low and behond when we went to unhook him, the wieght went inside and turned 90degrees making it to large for the fish to spit back out. A simple turn of the weight release it form his mouth.

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We were panfishin at Houghton Lake in Michigan, It was tip up town weekend. For you none Yankees its a big party on the ice.Beer tents on the ice and I bet 1500 fisher people.anywat back to the story. I was jigging about 4 feet below the ice. I had a bite! ohh man its a good one!!after maybe 3 min of fish fight I pulled a 5 1/4 pound large mouth.wow cool but as I pulled the fish out of the water I found two jigging poles hooked to it.It wasnt bass season but I had two new poles! smokey

19. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Remember, I am going to select winners soon...

keep em coming

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    We were fishing at night in May. There was some distant lightning from summer storms. We noticed fish all over the top of the water. They were everywhere. I shined the light in the water and realized there had been a tremendous Mayfly hatch and the water was covered with millions of tiny flies.

We could not get nothing to bite. Fish were popping everywhere but they would not hit our bait no matter how we presented it. It continued for hours as we sat there listening to the spashes around our boat.

Suddenly there was a bright flash of "heat lightniing" that lit everything up tremendously bright. The fish spooked and as the hundreds of tail slapped on the water surface it sounded like a ton of gravel had been dumped in the lake! :eek:oooh:

I haven't had that happen since, of course I just stay home if there is a big Mayfly hatch. That was also the only cat trip where I have been totally skunked and caught nothing.