Most Big Flathead Catfish Move Up-Stream To Feed!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Aug 1, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have noticed a few things over the years, but the one thing I can say to you is most of our big fish caught have took the bait, and moved upstream with the bait! When using baitclicker, you can pretty much get an idea between runs, even in a boat, whether its gonna be a small to medium sized fish, or a better one. Most fish 15 pounds or above seem to grab the bait and like to swim with their face in the current. Most of the smaller fish seem to run downstream. Just a little something I thought I would drop to those interested.....rollo

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info. I have not noticed that myself, but will have to keep an eye out. That sure is interesting. Do you have any idea why this is?

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, mine just run were theres structer, but my only big river flat that was 42 ran downstream, but this was right at a dam

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I think several reasons.. Most rivers have shallower areas above deep water. The flats seem to move more upstream to feed. But for some reason, the smaller ones seem to want to run across current or downstream! Larger flats seem to wanna keep their head upcurrent. I think this has to do with them being keen on their senses! A cats senses lay within their taste buds. Their eyesight isn't well! Kinda like a big buck, they grow, and become smart by age. A large flathead does the same! They eat accordingly, but keep their sences to their best ability! Thats my opinion. They move upstream mostly to feed, but to keep and get their sence to the fullest, they would rather stay with their head in this direction to get the most. A big buck uses wind to his advantage. A big flat will move against current to benefit his sences of smell and taste. They will use it to their maximum instinct!!!!!!..... rollo

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same hear jason, every big flat I have caught have went upstream.

I have never caught a lake flathead, have you ever had them run towards ya.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i havent had any big flatheads go up river on the run but after i hook them it is a different story.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jason i was talking about this to a few members not to long ago. i have only had one big one (which i lost) go across and down river. interestingly it was above a lock so maybe there is something to that. i had a few that were smaller that night and they went upriver. everything seemed the opposite of what it normally is when i fish elsewhere. has only ever happened like that in that spot.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was sitting here thinking about the bigger fish i have caught after reading your post Jason. On a larger river like the Scioto it has happened just the way you said but when i fish smaller rivers it usually is opposite. The reason being is that i like to fish at the top of funnels and down into the holes on the smaller rivers.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you was setting there thinking about the bigger fish you have caught, that must not have taken to long.:smile2:

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Caught a small flat friday night an it went up into the current. Now out at the lake here usually when I catch a flat they will first start out going away from me but then after setting hook it's like the flatty has no clue it's hooked an starts coming to me till it gets near the light then the fight is on!

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good post I also have noticed this. When that line goes up stream its seems to always be a nice fish.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like them slow runs, big baits, and moving upstream. Seems to good fish usually.... Maybe im nuts for predicting such, but have seen a pattern.... rollo

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have had lake flats run at me,down the bank and also out from me.

i think in the lakes it depends on which way the fish is going when he gets the bait the most.

most of the time when they have come in on me,i have casted about as far as i can get out,so i think i was getting them on the way in to feed.

14. Tuckertroop

Tuckertroop New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish rivers mostly but the flats I have caught in lakes it seems that the majority of them are coming in toward you. in my experiences I would say near 90% of the time there coming in.

15. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    About 10 seconds if that!!!!:embarassed:

16. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the info. if i have ever caugh a flat bigger than 2 pounds id try to relate...well im not doing any good complaining :cool2:

17. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Got a 15 lb flat last weekend and he ran with the current, screamed drag for awhile.

I've had plenty of fish in the same range swim at me though, especially from the bank. Have yet to have one swim at me (or upstream) on a boat though. Then again, just getting into it. :big_smile:

I hope this theory is pretty valid though, because if it happens I'll be sure to get waaaaaayyy too excited, hahaha.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've noticed that the channel cats i catch also run upriver but they usually breech the surface on the way in, the bigger flatty's run up river and stick to the bottom

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I always thought they did that for two reasons. 1, as Rollo said, big fish, like big deer, always keep their nose to the wind so to speak, even backing downstream, rather than turning around. 2, I think that they are active only part of the time. When they are active and feeding, they are taking your bait and looking for more. I always thought that a 40-50lb fish could eat 4-5 large baits in 1 night then lay there fat and lazy for 3-4 days. Just a thought.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also think most big fish breath better with the current passing this direction. Think about a feeding fish trying to stop, or try to ambush looking downstream! Fish try to put themselves in position to feed and relax. Their gills are designed to head into current!:big_smile: rollo