Most accurate

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 13, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Okay guys post something about most accurate rifle you have owned or shot! Mine personally was a springfield trapdoor bought at a flea market!! Man can I tell you a story on that gun that will leave you laughing!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a few first a mod 788 rem. 223 i get 5 inside a dime at 100 yds. second is a 788 rem in 243 win . I get 3 inside a penny at 100 yds. third is an old model 25 glenfield .22 I get all day inside a rabbits eye at 0-50 yds.oh yeah ,offhand too.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now that is some shooting!!!

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    under 50yards i would say a target air rifle i shot at the range. Steyr..i think it was. beautiful gun and more accurate than any professional will ever be.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I would like to add that is from my hand loads and LOTS of bench practice.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Marlin 1894 lever action 357mag, 5 rds 3/4" at 25yrds offhand.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats really good shootin Boots ,thanks for the input. and i got an 1894 marlin in 30-30 I used to shoot shillowettes with ,sweet rifle.

8. Mr_WhiskerHunter

Mr_WhiskerHunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a mod 25, it'll shoot thats for sure, and I have an old mod 70 in .30-06 that i inherited from my granddad that'll clover leaf at 100 yards all day long.

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well this old trapdoor when it came into my possession was wrapped in freezer paper and full of grease!! 3 hours later I got most of grease cosmaline I think they call it!! Its nasty!! Well the next day I took it to a friend of mine and he called me and said it was clean and he thought it had never been fired!! I hustled down to shop and bought me some .45-70 loads and headed to range. To my amazement it shot about a 1'' group at 50 yards. It was now time to play!!! I started playing with the windage and elevation till I got a group of 3 inches at 150 yards. Now I thought the clanger at 300 yards would be fun well 15 rounds later I found the sweet spot!! The clanger was a 18 inch square of 1/2 metal held by a chain!! I decided to rest and watch the action for a while. Later a guy pulls up in brand new truck dressed head to toe in Bob Allen shooting attire and produced a new sako rifle, lepold scope and 20 boxes of shells. I thought this would be fun to watch so I settled behind him and watched as he took scope and mounted it and when this was accomplished. To my amazement he struted down to the 100 yard marker and placed a target!!! It was funny as hell and I thought well he knows what he is doing!!! He set up a spotting scope, placed sand bags , put on a sissy pad and began firing !!! With each shot he cussed louder and longer!! I could hardly hold in my laughter!! Finally I busted out laughing , he turned and said oh you can do better? I said mister I got a rifle that is over a 100 years old and I wont waste my ammo on shooting it at such a short distance!! Well I cant type what he called me!! I told him do you see that clanger out there at 300 yards? He looked at me like I was crazy!! He started on a rant that no way could that rifle hit it let alone get a bullet there!! Id said well want to make a friendly wager? Well now a crowd had assembled itself around us. He had put himself in a corner. He screamed at me if you can hit it once in 10 rounds we would just swap rifles!! Now being fair I offered 2 out of 3 he laughed himself silly!! He cleared his stuff off the bench and man did I put on a show messing with him . Playing with the sights, licking my finger, letting dust run thru my fingers. I had him hooked and he was mine. I touch off first shot set rifle down, when he started lauging when it was cut short with a clang!!! Now those old .45-70's dont travel fast but sooner or later they get there. His face was a combination of frustration, to being had, I intentionally missed next shot. Now is was for all the marbles!!! I shot the next shot off hand just to mess with him!! A familar clang rang out!!! He was a gentleman and honored his debt. But being a gentleman also I set down with him and explained how to sight in a rifle, we started at 25 yards and got her on paper, then we tightened it to a dime. We took a couple of shots at 50 and 75 yards. Right on the money!! Now I said lets see what she will do at 100 with a little of adjustment she shot just under a inch!! I said now take a shot at that clanger and he heard the sweet sound!!! He asked me if I was going to take his rifle? I replied why would I want a rifle that took 17 rounds to hit a clanger when it on took me 3? I told him next time think before he made a bet. We remained friends for years. Thats my story and Im sticking to it!! :tounge_out:

10. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey Will,
    I enjoyed your story. I have one of the old fellows that I'll drag out and shot once or twice a year.
    Richard, I have several of those Remington 788s and they are all good shooters. Ugly but accurate. Remington still should be making them.
    Bill

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had the privilege of being allowed to fire some of the competition rifles and pistols of the 60's.I have no idea of their official accuracy after all these years.I will never know what was the most accurate rifle that I ever shot.They all were proven to shoot far better than I could shoot.I was good but very far from great!I do know that they have far better barrels now."My" most accurate small bore ,center fire rifle was a Remington 222 at 100 yards,followed by a "reach out and touch me" KDF Kleinguenther K-15 300 Wby.mag.Ser.898704 with a 30 mm Swarovski 3x12x56 scope #303072,double set triggers,KDF muzzle brake,spare clip,Harris Bi-pod,military leather sling,a set of Williams open sights that were machined,mounted,sighted in,removed with screw holes plugged and the sights and special mounting screws kept in the gun case in case of scope damage in the boondocks.They should be accurate without sighting in.13 3/4 length of pull on a strait american walnut stock.The guarantee was 3 shots in 1/2 inch and 5 shots under 1 inch with a 180 grain.SFB Sierra bullet,Wby.,brass,Fed.#212 primers and 64.4 grains of IMR 4064 powder.They test fired it before shipping and sent you the target.I also had a 1" slip on recoil pad so that the custom stock would fit me from "T" shirt to insulated winter wear.And yes on a good still day,I could make it do it's thing!I sold my vacation to buy that rifle plus the money that I had been saving.It was worth it.That gentleman in Seguin Texas knew what he was doing.I am still in love with that thing.I had a Model 70 winchester in 7 mm Rem.mag that shot real well with "everything and anything" at and under a inch also.Now that is the kind of gun that is few,far between and priceless to a hunter.I didn;t believe there was a rifle like that.The impact point would move from changing shells,but it would group all of the same shells together until the barrel got hot.Most accurate rim fire was a Ruger Target 10-22 with match ammo,followed close by a old Remington pump,Old Rem.bolt action single shot target,Marlin 39A and a Marlin bolt action tube feed.These guns do fair to excellent with all fodder fed to them.I had a old single shot Winchester that the trigger was mounted and stayed in the stock when you removed the action.It shot better than a lot of the modern 22's.I surely miss my guns.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi folks,
    I have a weatherby 300 mag thats the most accurate rifle I have ever shot!

I had it free floated, muzzle braked, metal bedded and put together by a great gun smith.

very smooth:cool2:

Its a sub moa shooter

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is one sweet looking set up!!! I love the 300 and used it when I lived in Alaska. But the most accurate rifle I ever owned was a stevens single shot I bought at a garage sale for I think 15 bucks. She was a real live tack driver!! My problem anymore is I am afflicted with Parkisons and dont have the steady hold like I use to but I still love going to the range and tweaking things even with these unsteady hands!!:smile2:

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I"ve had 2 remington 788 rifles, both were chambered in 22-250 & both were tack drivers. Both rifles were sold to different people who offered too much, and both times I regretted it later, I guess I'm a slow learner.:embarassed: If I could find a 788 in a .243 I believe I'd be a happy puppy.

My best shooting is a plain-jane remington 700 adl in 7mm rem mag. It's a shooter. I've shot side-by-side at the range with people shooting rifles that cost 3-4X as much as my rifle, and their guns wouldn't outshoot mine. I guess I got lucky in getting a goodun, I don't know.... maybe it's the proper break-in, I don't know. Regardless of how it came about, it'll shoot better than my abilities.

My favorite rifle is a remington 600 in 6mm with a 6x swift scope on it. I know, that's a lotta 6's LOL!!! I always wanted one, and last year I found one. When my little boy is old enough to hunt, he'll start with this one. It killed the first deer I ever pointed it at, and that's good enough accuracy for me. It will barely shoot a 1.25" group (I haven't experimented much with ammo with this one) but it'll kill deer, coyotes, and other assorted stuff. Besides that, I just like it.:roll_eyes:

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a model 7 in a .243 and she is accurate. But like you I had a model 70 pre 64 22-250 that could reach out and touch stuff at 400 yards. My next favorite was a 220 swift I shot it so much I toasted rifleings after about 4000 rounds but she killed many of prairie dog!!:tounge_out:

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey brian, is that a harmonic dampener from svl? i was wondering if you had shot it with and without on your rifle, and if you saw any difference in accuracy. i have been thinking about putting one of those on my weatherby .30-06, and don't know anyone who has one! thanks bud.

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

HI,
    I talked to a lot of folks before trying it. I turns three shots in to a one holer or a mickey mouse but it was well worth the 16.00 dollars I spent on it. Its weight is next to nothing. The rifle is a real good shooter but Im glad I put the SVL on it.

I hope that helps

Brian

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got a stainless a-bolt browning in 270 with a swarovski 3x12x50 with a 30 mm tube on it. it will take out a quarter everytime at a 125 yards off a dog box setting in the back of a pickup truck. the scope has the heavy cross hairs in it so i just cover up the quarter and let it fly. its fully stock down to the trigger pull. i do shoot hand loads in it though. i have a few 22-250s also but they wont stack like the 270 will. could be the scope difference i dont know but i really like the 270.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My most accurate black powder rifle was my TC Renegade. 50 yard groups with 50 grains of powder would go into one hole, three shots. 50 caliber, three shot group measured 55 caliber.

Rifle is my Rem. 700 LT 308. It cloverleaf's all day long with 168grn match ammo. The thing that makes it the best hunting rifle I've ever owned is that no matter what ammo I put in it, it hits the same point of impact. I've shot a group with 5 different bullet weights from 150 to 180 grains and in 8 different loads. Three shots from each box. Total for 15 shots was 1 inch.

My most accurate handgun had to be my PPC revolver. 1 inch group at 50 yards.

Wish I could say these were "off hand" groups! LMAO!!!!!!!!

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great story kkyyoottee. Mine is an old Ruger M77, in 30-06. I can pretty much hit anything I can see with it. My favorite shot was killing a White Tail at 278 yards with one shot.