Mossberg model 500 20 guage

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 1sporticus, Dec 11, 2007.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey all of you gun people. I got my wife the mossberg 20, and she likes it fine. However when she shoots a slug, it kicks her pretty hard. I put a recoil pad on it for her, but is there something else that can be done? Later Andy

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andy,The only thing that I can think of is one of those shoulder pads like some trap shooters wear.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy,
    What kind of recoil pad did you put on the gun? There is quite a difference in recoil pads. I use kick-eez pads on all of my trap guns. They are a very good pad and really cut down on the felt recoil.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Andy there's another reason to invest in one of those 357 rifles. Momma needs it, as it won't hardly kick at all, and will match the ballistics of a 20 slug energy wise. It's rapidly becoming a have to have.
    I think ya ought to sprent for one of the Marlins ASAP.
    :wink:

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you could consider getting the barrel ported or find one already ported

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya thats what i would say too . it works :big_smile: :cool2:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use the 12 guage model with a ported barrel and it doesnt kick that bad.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My grandson shoots one using 2 1/4 in. shells. Range is only good for about 30 to 40yards though. Has a 7 in. drop at 50 yds.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First think & remember that this has to be removed one day for inspection and gun maintenance.It should be installed with such in mind.The coins have to move with the recoil by compressing the rubber and at no other time.

Needs=gasket punch in slightly under or at the stocks hole diameter.A old truck,tractor,heavy equipment inner tube as the rubber is thicker and tougher.Modern car & bicycle tubes are thinner and deteriorate I found.(Different materials)? Pennies or nickles,sheet lead or sheet copper left over from making old engine head gaskets or liquor stills.Thick lead (sinkers even)and copper can be beat out into thick or thin pieces to work and you can cut it with a heavy duty gasket punch.The lead sinkers can be trimmed and shaved with a knife.Heat lead and copper and let it cool to soften as temperature changes will make copper,lead and lead sinker alloys harden with time.

Most old long guns had wood stocks with a deep hole drilled in the butt and a bolt or machine screw that held the stock to the action at the bottom.Old pennies were copper and were heavier and did not rust like our modern steel pennies.Nickles were used for stocks with larger holes I have used steel pennies lately as this is all I have.I am going to continue as if we are using truck inner tubes,pennies and the most common hole size.

Measure the diameter of your stocks hole and punch out gaskets to fit inside.Put 2-3 rubber gaskets on top of the stock bolt/screw head to protect it.Put 1-10 pennies and then 1 rubber gasket and continue until you get stock almost full and then finish with minimum of 3 gaskets to protect Butt Plate.You want your But plate to snugly and slightly depress the stack.The more metal the more weight which helps recoil.The more rubber the lighter.It seems to get diminishing returns if you use too much rubber and not enough metal in between to compress it and have the moving weight.You are simply lessing and spreading out the duration of the recoil with this.All has to be able to move by compressing the rubber when shooting but not at other times.

When you fire the gun,each of those coins will start moving one to 10 at a time and will then will reverse the order which smooths out the shock of recoil over a longer period of time.

Nothing is perfect.The firearm is heavier.

Shotguns = It will add weight and will affect your wing shooting by affecting your swing.This has been good for some and bad for others and you have to relearn your firearm if you are very familiar with it.

Rifles = It may well effect your impact points and your sights will have to be readjusted.Also the rubber washer compression.It may or may not work as it may affect critical accuracy if it all does not move exactly the same in millions of a second each time in the stock.This is why recoil suppresses and such are far more popular and mostly used with shotguns.Also why changing butt pads and such often changes impact point.It ain't always the fit as you can change some materials with price range and often change impact in rifles though all dimensions stay the same.It may be ever so slight but it does affect things.

Shooting since I can't remember was my way of adapting to recoil I believe.As My body deteriorated,recoil became extremely painful.I had to consciously adjust to recoil for the first time in my life.I added coins this way to my shotguns and rifles.This extended my use by years.

I think skinny wiry built folk often give and thus absorb recoil better than most as a rule,if they learn how to give with it.

I think recoil has a lot has to do with each individual person and I do not think it is a macho type deal as many women and children handle it far better than some big and extremely tough men that I have personally known.The recoil macho men that I have personally known did their best in front of a mirror and impressed that image far more than all others they ever knew just as they do with everything else in life.I learned this from observation and my stint trying to be one as most boys go through this as a stage.Some never learn their capabilities or have none and so feel the need for self impression for life.Sorry for the "tirade"as it has been called,but such folk seem to always be around to ridicule folk and not help.Most of them flinch slightly or close their eyes upon firing!heh,heh.Watch them close some times!

I have been fortunate enough to shoot a Daisy Red Ryder to a 460 Weatherby twice.The first time was enough for me but as was said at the time. Any fool can do it once.You really have to be crazy and stupid to do it twice!Besides,if you shot it twice,you did not pay for the shells.Once,you did.I wish I had bought the shells and observed for several weeks as my shoulder hurt and was sore in the joint for a long time.My 94-104 lb.hillbilly wife repeatedly shot my 835 with 3 1/2 in. shells and my Kleingunther in 300 Wby.with a max. hand loaded 220 grain bullet and the recoil suppressor screwed off.Not only did she shot both repeatedly but in all positions.It would most likely break her deteriorating older bones now.

I hope this is of help to some one.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey thanks Peewee, The Wife weighs in at a whopping 95 lbs. I have heard of doing it the way you suggest, but nobody had explained it in this detail. I do believe it's worth a shot, no pun intended. Keep the ideas coming folks. Later Andy