Mossberg ATR 100

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by rzrbk24, Nov 7, 2007.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I'm surprised my wife hasn't killed me. I already made a post about the new truck I got. The day after I got that, I bought me a new huntin rifle. There is 1 Wal-Mart left around here that sells guns and they had this one for $249. I've been looking at it for months and I finally got it. It's light but with the recoil pad built in I can barely feel it kick. Forgot to mention it's a .270. I got the cheap tasco bucksight 3x9x40, but it works great for me. I can't wait to kill my first deer with it.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Let us know how it does James. I think the 270 is a great choice.

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    sweet......270 !!! that is my fav cal . i have 270 savage model 110 synthetic
    ( it use to be mine ) passed it on to my oldest son.

4. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    That's what I've been using this season but it's my buddy's. He let me use it while he's in Iraq but I wanted my own. I also use to have a 110 in 300 win. mag

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i have that one too !!! savage also !!!!!!

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    It is hard to beat a rifle in the .26 (6.5 mm) thru .28 (7 mm) range for deer sized game. The .270 fits right in the middle of that so it is no suprise it is so popular for deer.
    I have a LH Savage 110 in .270 that I purchased off of Gun Broker cheap. It had a detachable box mag, a cheap wooden stock, cheap aluminum rings and bases and a POS scope. I stripped it down and installed a new stock and quality extras. Result is that I have a .5 MOA rifle perfect for eastern deer hunting.
    You can read more about my assembly process here;

http://yerfrockethellhound.com/RiddleofSteel2005rifleproject.html

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a Mossberg ATR 100 .30-06 spfd that I bought Jan.2006 and I love mine. I've been eyeballing the new Mossberg 4X4 in a .270 or .300 win mag but its gonna be awhile before I can buy anything.

8. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC

I had me eye on the 4x4 as well. I like the detachable magazine. I didn't know they had those for bolt actions. Maybe someday, but my next gun is either gonna be a 30-30 or a 12ga

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    im so proud... the mrs. got her first rifle yesterday. a mossy ATR in 30-06.
    with the built in recoil pad and shooting those remington managed recoil loads
    (ahem.. "supposedly" kicks like a .243 or so ive been told?) we will see if she can handle it. i dont think it will be a problem but if so ill get her the ATR in .243 and keep the ought six for myself.

hers came with a mossberg scope (read somewhere its a bushnell?) 3x9, seems okay enough for now but hey, gives me an easy way out for a birthday or xmas present in the future. LOL "no baby, its pronounced LOO-pold"

got it at an "academy sports" google them for the link, scope and gun for 298 as part of a combo kit and if i remember right they carry it in 243, 270, 308, and the ought six. going to the range on sunday to break it in. ive been over it with a fine tooth comb and thus far have nothing bad to say about it. its very light, almost too light for my tastes, the bolts smooth and well designed, trigger is clean and crisp, a good deal for sure.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Mossberg makes a great pump shotgun.:big_smile:
    I have two 12 ga. pumps myself, one is a 500 which I've have for 20 years and the other is a 590 which I've had for almost two years.

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    i too have a mossy 500 and love it. IMO its beauty of design is in its simplicity. is why i was drawn to the ATR, well, that and the myriad of positive reviews ive read and heard.

12. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    took the new mossy to the range, what follows is a pasted email i sent to a friend about it, saves me retyping it all...

went and broke in that new mossy 100 ATR. whew, three boxes of ought six in one afternoon is a bit much. either im getting old or my shoulder aint what it used to be. (*always remember to unbuckle the bib overalls strap on shooting shoulder hahaha) the rifle is nice with the only drawback being the trigger. very clean and crisp but ill swear the thing is set at twenty pounds. no creep whatsoever but id like to trade a tad of creep for about half the poundage on the pull.
    ill get that worked on later.

those remington reduced recoil loads i bought a box of, im not happy with. the reduction in recoil was indeed noticable however the accuracy was terrible. one out of five is a bad flyer and point of impact a good six to eight inches off from the standard loads i was shooting too. it liked the 180 grain soft points the best but ill go back to the range this week with some quality ammo to sight the thing in. all i did today was focus on breaking in the barrel. i dont care what the reduced recoil box says... they shoot eight inches high at 100 yrds. each shot did hit paper but thats all ill give them credit for doing.

the other two boxes were that federal cheap stuff in the blue boxes, one at 180 grs and the other at 150 grs. plus a handful of misc ought six rounds of unknown grain count cept a few 220 grns which u can tell by lookin at them what they are. range i was at doesnt allow FMJ so i couldnt use miltiary surplus for the break in process.
    the scope is okay at best but will be asking for a new one for xmas. i added another recoil pad to it to increase the L.O.P. and slid the optic back in the rings as far as it would go but i still need another inch or two for best eye relief. right now ive got a reliable deer killer at 200 yrds, thats enough for the time being. will let you know how it does later this week when i actually try to hit the ten-ring.

im really happy with this rifle, great value for the money

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    went and sighted the mossy in. conditions were terrible- 15 mph steady crosswind with 25 mph gusts. wally world was out of the 220 gr cartridges i like so i got the 180's. remington core lokt psp's.

my final seven shot group covered four inches at 100 yrds. shot a 4 group, reloaded, shot a 3 group in under about two minutes if even that long. given speed and windy conditions im all to happy to suggest this rifle to anyone.