mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by xnmcclurex, Oct 15, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    well i shot my first shotgun last night. i was shootin skeet at a sportsmans club using my friends mossberg 500. i liked the weight and the sights and i was thinkin askin for one for christmas. what do you guys think about this gun?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nick,I own two of em,I cant complain,They are very dependable . and the price is right. You might want to check out the "Maveric " line ,same gun as a 500 but less money. and the 500 barrels will interchange on them also.

3. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Like wise on the 500, I have put thousands of rounds through mine and it is still kicking. I have 5 barrels for it and am looking for a muzzleloader barrel. They made them for awhile off and on. They shoot well and even in a less than ideal environment.
    Just some suggestions, if you get a slug barrel get one with a cantilever scope mount so you can put a scope on the barrel and leave it on there when you take it off. My rifled barrel is an older open site one and I have a removable scope mount that is supposed to stay on target but I have to re zero it every time I take it off.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I do not care for the Mossberg 500. I'm used to my safeties being on the trigger guard, as all my guns are this way, and i'm afraid it would mess me up on top of the receiver. They are also harder to clean than my 870's.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a mossberg 500. Lots of them have been sold. The military uses them. They are VERY inexpensive for the amount of gun you get. Very reliable and a good all around gun. They will work with mud, sand, etc in them (use it as a boat paddle if needed). If you like it, buy it and enjoy it.

The only real negatives I have against a mossberg 500 are more personal preference than real problems with the gun (as seen at the top of my post here).

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have several shotguns, to include a 500 and a maverick 88. they are great guns. if you don't like the top tang saftety the 500 has, get the maverick with the safety on the trigger guard. like richard said, everything on the two shotguns is interchangeable. i like the double bead feature, and the front bead being white on most barrels is great in thick woods or dark cloudy days. with a little practice, they are as easy to disassemble as any other pump shotgun, and the only reason you'll ever need another shotgun is if you want another shotgun.

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    See I like the safety on top, it is close to the same location as my Remington bolt guns. My Mossberg has been fired so much and was so loose that if you fire it single handed is ejects the shell. I had to buy a few parts to fix it but it was not much $$ and it NEVER missed a shot. With the rifled barrel and a 4 power scope I have 2 - 3 inch groups at 100yds with Remington solid copper slugs. At 150-200 yds the groups are still under 4 inches. Mine is now 23 years old.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    mossberg is a good gun for the money

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have the 500 and my son has the Maverick. I had never noticed the safety position difference till reading though this thread. Both are great guns. I use mine mainly for turkey hunting and my youngest uses it for clays. The Maverick the oldest son has get used for everything from rabbits to coyotes.

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive got a Mossberg 500 20ga. Bought it for squirrels and such and as a backup deer gun. Our local wallys clearenced out magna ported rifled barrels with cantilever mounts and a factory bore sighted scope for $125. One of the best deals Ive got, gun is a tack driver. With the magna porting it is loud though. Good all around gun, espescialy for the money. Mine was $229 at a wallys with 3 screw in chokes, sling, camo hat, gun case and a little el cheapo cleaning kit. For $354 Ive got a gun that will do it all. I dont care for the tang top safety either, takes some getting used to. Kids etc use it more then I do so its not a real problem for me. I had a Maverick 88(?) 12ga. several decades ago + and it was a good utility gun. It had a fixed modified choke but we ran birdshot, slugs, buckshot and even steel shot when it was first mandated thru it and it handled it all very good within reason. Had synthetic stocks, ugly as sin,lol. Only cleaned it about once a year.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've had a 500 for 25 years and have never had a problem. great gun for the price.
    chip

11. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have been shooting them for years. I have found out when you go with a rifled barrel that you will have to see if the barrel moves. On most guns that you can change the barrels on the rifled barrels will twist a little in the receiver. When you fire them they torque. If the barrel moves so will the point of impact which can move every shot. That is why the groups of some gun are big.I have shimmed a lot of 870s and 500s to get them tight. All you have to do is shim the part of he barrel that slides into the receiver. You can use brass shim stock or cut up a beer can. The tighter you get it the better it will shoot. I have a 500 with the scope mounted to the receiver with a rifled barrel. The scope has held zero for the past 7 years. So I know that the barrel is tight. I have not had to shoot twice on any deer one shot one deer. Shimming any gun will cut the size of groups it will shoot. Even if the scope is mounted on the barrel are it can not twist and through slug all over. Hope this helps everyone.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    With the chamber being in the barrel the barrel could be at 90 degrees to the action and as long as the firing pin hits the primer the slug and barrel are always in line with each other. This is the same way a Ruger 10/22 works. I will agree that the motion in the action can throw the shots off if it is very loose and you are using a action mounted scope but the cantilever mounted scopes remove the possibility of any change shot to shot.

13. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Fit on most shotguns recievers and barrels is fairly loose. Not a high priority in "bird guns" or guns not intended for shooting solid projectiles. Thats why the custom slug gun makers and semi custom ones "pin" the barrel to the reciever. Theres a new company out revamping Remington 870's and 1100's into tack driving slug guns and thats one of the first things they do. Inherently thats why the bolt action and single shot shotguns are usually more accurate then the standard pump or auto.

14. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    That's exactly why my 870 shoots the same every year after swapping out the smoothbore for the rifled slug barrel. The sights are on the barrel....unless the sights move, they are always in the same relation to the bore.

15. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    For the money you can't go wrong. I always shot Remington till a couple years ago, Now a shoot a 935 auto.

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I can easily keep 3 shots at 1.5 inches at 150yds. That is better than some rifles.
    The reason semi autos are less is the shot charge is doing two things, cycling the action and pushing the slug and the shot to shot differences are there. With a solid bolt supporting the rear of the cartridge the only limiting factor in the guns is the barrel. This is why the higher end guns shoot better. No one is going to pay $500+ for a barrel for there Mossberg but that is what you are getting on the higher end custom guns. Pinning the barrel has nothing to do with it. A pin is not going to keep a 12 gauge shell form moving the barrel. Maybe if it was pinned in 4 directions but that would be the only way. The reason behind pinning the barrels is so someone does not remove a barrel that has had the head space altered for a specific gun. Many of these guns do not chamber on the face of the shell but around the rim and the bolts forward movement have been increased. Like a bolt gun. This cutting of the bolts face allows the bolt to shroud the case more and keep gasses form escaping. This would NOT allow a normal barrel to be placed on them as the cartridge would not space correctly.
    The Tar-Hunt company that made custom 12 gauge slug guns that were some of the best are not making them any more because the shotguns turned out my Mossberg, Savage and others are getting almost the same performance.
    These differences in actions for shot guns also hold true for rifles, Semi autos are generally less accurate than a pump and a pump is less than a bolt. Unless you want to spend $2000+ on a pump or semi Auto and compare it to a $300 bolt gun.
    As long as the chamber and barrel are in line the shell and projectile have NO IDEA which way the action or firing pin are facing.

17. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    If a barrel moves even .005 the POI will move a hell of a lot at 150yds. The barrel twists left or right which will tip the scope even on the barrel that way. So your sight picture it moves to because your scope is not centered perfectly over the bore. The key is to get it lined up and keep it that way. Pinning a barrel just keep it where it is supposed to be. Plus cantilever barrels the mount can bend to one side or up and down too. Some are way off from the factory some Remington cantilever scope mounts were not machined square the the bore. And the scopes would run out of adjustments to get them to zero. And it was not just them that had that problem. You would want the best out of what you have to do the job. And also Tar Hunt pins their barrels.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  18. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have read several articles on it and they like to point out how far off it can be but there numbers do not add up. I saw one that said barrel movement equal to a human hair can change the point 1 inch at 100 yds.
    OK How big is a human hair.... There is no standard answer. The average is about 0.0019.. inches. If you do the math this is much less than 1 inch at 100 yds. Also Again you are compairing a gun with a $400 barrel to shotguns that you can buy 2 of for the same money. There conversion is over $500 on your gun and after that you cannot remove the barrel and replace it for another type of hunting.
    If the scope mount was off of the bore centerline it still would have nothing to do with the point of impact change due to barrel receiver fit. It was a bad fit from the factory.
    The shooters movement form the gun being fired will have MUCH more affect on the bullets point of impact than the few thousandths of an inch the barrel is moving will, unless of course you can shoot a 12 gauge slug and not move at all.

19. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice xmas gift for anyone:big_smile::big_smile:

20. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    I'm an 870 man usually, but i wouldn't mind if you wanna buy me a mossy 500 for Christmas :wink:.