mossberg 500 vs Rem. 870

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by rocco641, Aug 21, 2009.

mossberg 500 or rem 870

1. mossberg 500 12ga

2. Rem 870 12ga

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I myself am a true mossberg 500 guy. just like to hear some different opinions

2. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Dept issue and I love the gun it shoots good. Buckshot and slugs at 50 yds right on without scope and its easy to mount flashlights lasers and other mods I love it and wouldnt give it up if I had too..:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Rem 870, I've had recurring quality issues. Plus the balance, to me, seems like it's muzzle heavy enough to use it on a tripod.

Mossberg 500, good quality, rugged, dependable and, to me, has good balance.

Mossberg 835, same as the 500 plus able to shoot 3½" shells.

:004:

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i think its a personality type thing. if your wearing white tennis shoes, plaid pants and walk around swingin a golf club, your likely to go for th remington.:smile2: if your a no nonsense get out u my face type guy that wants a good relieable gun that can take some abuse then itll be a mossberg.:big_smile::cool2:

5. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I dont think you could go wrong with either one

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'll pretend i didnt' hear this. I dont own white tennis shoes, plaid pants or a single golf club.
    My 870 has, however, been used as a boat paddle more than once. Its a fun feeling to break your shotgun down at the end of the year for a thorough cleaning only to find marsh grass inside:crazy:.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think that they are both great pump shotguns. I think that the Mossberg
    500 was the reason Remington started making the 870 express. They were loosing to much business. I have always heard that the military were testing
    pump shotguns for military use. Both the 500 and the 870 had 1000 rounds
    fired through them in one day and no misfires or jams. The only pump guns
    that did that.
    Mossberg got the military contract because price. This was pre-express and
    the wingmaster was more expensive.
    This is where the mossberg model 590 military& police came from.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Both great guns.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i own both and never use my REM 870 my mossberg 500 and 835 are my favorite out of the two....actually my mossberg turkey gun out patterns my benelli at 40 - 50 yards.

11. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm afriad that I have to dissagree on this one, I'm none of those things listed above and own an 870 and I'm one of the most no nonsense guys alive. No offense taken though:wink:

12. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Even though I don't have the white tennis shoes, plaid pants or even a golf club, I do own a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I'm not knocking the Mossbergs as I have never owned one. Just voting in the poll and that's my choice.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    As I own both 870 s and 500 plus several other pumps , does that mean I can only ware my plaid pants when I carry one of the 870s? What should i ware carrying a browning or benelli?
    Either one will serve one will as they have passed the test of time.

14. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I wasn't even going to mention that I own a few Brownings as well until you brought it up. I thought I'd be shopping for the plaid pants for sure in the morning.:crazy:

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont own an 870,but I do own an older Ithica 12 ga,and a Browning auto 5, 20 ga , I have two mossbergs,one in .410 and another in 20,I hope my next purchase is an 835.:wink: ohh I almost forgot I do have a Remington,Its a model 11 ,aside from a broken mainspring,no problems in over oh I think 10,000 rounds would be conservative. It was my granddads before the Auto 5,now I've inherited both.That said I believe both are great shotguns. One fits all in the budget dept tho.:wink:

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have an 870, greatest shotgun I ever shot. Other folks talk about their shotguns, and I'm ok with that, I like my 870. I have another 12 ga its either a mossberg or a savage, not sure, it has been modified for use indoors. Purchased used and cheap, quite reliable,

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've shot both but own only Mossberg. I have three actually 500 12ga, 590 12ga and 500 410ga. My mom bought me the 500 12ga when I was 15 years old.

18. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i love my 870 with the slug barrel i have can hit a paper plate with a red dot almost every time with open sights am i am 57 and not as steady as i once was just my 2 cents

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot both models and love them. i have abused the living hell out of both of them with no consequences. they do point a little different, but i am lethal with either one. i take my 870s out more though.

20. ol'catmandoo

ol'catmandoo New Member

State:
    S.E IA
    gotta love them 500's