mossberg 500 or rem 870

• mossberg 500 12ga

• Rem 870 12ga

mossberg 500 vs Rem. 870

18K views 56 replies 49 participants last post by  Jbuck 
#1 ·
I myself am a true mossberg 500 guy. just like to hear some different opinions

#3 ·
Rem 870, I've had recurring quality issues. Plus the balance, to me, seems like it's muzzle heavy enough to use it on a tripod.

Mossberg 500, good quality, rugged, dependable and, to me, has good balance.

Mossberg 835, same as the 500 plus able to shoot 3½" shells.

:004:

#4 ·
i think its a personality type thing. if your wearing white tennis shoes, plaid pants and walk around swingin a golf club, your likely to go for th remington.:smile2: if your a no nonsense get out u my face type guy that wants a good relieable gun that can take some abuse then itll be a mossberg.:big_smile::cool2:

#7 ·
i think its a personality type thing. if your wearing white tennis shoes, plaid pants and walk around swingin a golf club, your likely to go for th remington.:smile2: if your a no nonsense get out u my face type guy that wants a good relieable gun that can take some abuse then itll be a mossberg.:big_smile::cool2:
I'll pretend i didnt' hear this. I dont own white tennis shoes, plaid pants or a single golf club.
My 870 has, however, been used as a boat paddle more than once. Its a fun feeling to break your shotgun down at the end of the year for a thorough cleaning only to find marsh grass inside:crazy:.

#8 ·
I think that they are both great pump shotguns. I think that the Mossberg
500 was the reason Remington started making the 870 express. They were loosing to much business. I have always heard that the military were testing
pump shotguns for military use. Both the 500 and the 870 had 1000 rounds
fired through them in one day and no misfires or jams. The only pump guns
that did that.
Mossberg got the military contract because price. This was pre-express and
the wingmaster was more expensive.
This is where the mossberg model 590 military& police came from.

#10 ·
i own both and never use my REM 870 my mossberg 500 and 835 are my favorite out of the two....actually my mossberg turkey gun out patterns my benelli at 40 - 50 yards.

#11 ·
I'm afriad that I have to dissagree on this one, I'm none of those things listed above and own an 870 and I'm one of the most no nonsense guys alive. No offense taken though:wink:

#12 ·
Even though I don't have the white tennis shoes, plaid pants or even a golf club, I do own a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I'm not knocking the Mossbergs as I have never owned one. Just voting in the poll and that's my choice.

#13 ·
As I own both 870 s and 500 plus several other pumps , does that mean I can only ware my plaid pants when I carry one of the 870s? What should i ware carrying a browning or benelli?
Either one will serve one will as they have passed the test of time.

#14 ·
As I own both 870 s and 500 plus several other pumps , does that mean I can only ware my plaid pants when I carry one of the 870s? What should i ware carrying a browning or benelli?
Either one will serve one will as they have passed the test of time.
I wasn't even going to mention that I own a few Brownings as well until you brought it up. I thought I'd be shopping for the plaid pants for sure in the morning.:crazy:

#15 ·
I dont own an 870,but I do own an older Ithica 12 ga,and a Browning auto 5, 20 ga , I have two mossbergs,one in .410 and another in 20,I hope my next purchase is an 835.:wink: ohh I almost forgot I do have a Remington,Its a model 11 ,aside from a broken mainspring,no problems in over oh I think 10,000 rounds would be conservative. It was my granddads before the Auto 5,now I've inherited both.That said I believe both are great shotguns. One fits all in the budget dept tho.:wink:

#16 ·
I have an 870, greatest shotgun I ever shot. Other folks talk about their shotguns, and I'm ok with that, I like my 870. I have another 12 ga its either a mossberg or a savage, not sure, it has been modified for use indoors. Purchased used and cheap, quite reliable,

#19 ·
i shoot both models and love them. i have abused the living hell out of both of them with no consequences. they do point a little different, but i am lethal with either one. i take my 870s out more though.

#21 ·
I sold all my Remington shotguns in the mid 90's with the Dupont barrel scare and never bought another to use but they are good guns. I had an 870 Express slug gun with rifle sights that was a deer whomper. 3" Breneke's was my choice of rounds and it would shoot them further then I cared to shoot. Mossberg was making some of the Remington barrels last I knew?

#24 ·
several years ago when I used to do the shooting sports I bought a 500 and an 870. The 870 did not last 100 shots with regulation trap loads before it was unshootable. The 500 just had its 75 thousand round shot through it with never a problem.
Conclusion Mossberg wins this round

#25 ·
several years ago when I used to do the shooting sports I bought a 500 and an 870. The 870 did not last 100 shots with regulation trap loads before it was unshootable. The 500 just had its 75 thousand round shot through it with never a problem.
Conclusion Mossberg wins this round
100 shots and unshootable. never seen that before except with a Colt AR15 my neighbor purchased. He decided he would start reloading and skip the whole powder measurment process and just dip his cases until they were full.:crazy: Don't worry not even a scratch.
I own two mossberg 500's one 18 inch plain barrel cylinder bore and I have one of the trophy slugsters with the rifled bore both are good guns.I own three 870's two wingmasters a 12 and a 20 bought them used no choke tubes both modified and 2 3/4 inch only.I own one express bought it used for 100.00 and it is the perfect loaner gun.I have owned three of the 835 ultimags I would sell one and swear I would never buy another.They done the job and I would give in and buy another right before duck season.All these guns would function and shoot but all the mossbergs would rattle while walking.All the 835's I had to modify the safety on , too tight.No big deal but it bothers me.I finaly broke down when I got a real job and bought a benelli in 1990 and never looked back.

#26 ·
LOL, i don't own a pair of plaid pants but am currently on my 3rd. 870. Personally i prefer them over any pump i've ever shot besides a model 12 winchester. I enjoy golf and may check into the plaid britches, or perhaps nickers and one of them low underpass hats.:eek:oooh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.