Moss, Moss, And more Moss,

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by catfish slick, Jun 19, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Anyone fishing the aqueduct these days. I was out their Tuesday for may be thirty minutes, and the moss was so bad I packed er up and came home and had my fish bait for lunch. Chicken Liver and gravy. Don't know how long the moss will last, Not to long I am hopping. Guess I will have to go do some down sizing on the squirrel population till it clears up. I have a new toy I am just dieing to go try out.

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    James this happens ever year, It will eventually go away. But it is a mess while it is hear. It is caused by the tempter of the water.

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    That's a bummer Philip, this is the time of year when algae can get pretty bad. I hate the way it clings to the line and makes a big mess. Sometimes it builds up so bad in places that you can't even fish it. I'm with you, hopefully the stuff won't be around for long.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    All I can say Phil is increase you weight size and shorten your leader hopes that most if it builds up ahead of your weight and leaves your bait relatively free of moss so the fish can find it .

5. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Hello Phil!!
    I was there last Saturday and only landed one 13'' striper and lost a few others. The algae was thick then but I was getting hit. I was using a little piece lead and a dropper loop about 20'' above the weight and drifting with the current. Everyone that I seen tight lining and tossing artificial were only fighting the salad.
    Then I went yesterday evening (Friday) and the salad was almost non-existent.
    Let me know when you want to give it another try!!
    Ron

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ron, You Name the date. You have my phone # Just give me a call.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well Moonlightn, A.K.A Ron, and I fished the Aqueduct last night from about 6:30 until around 1:30 in the morning. beautiful night, but we never had a bite. The moss was still with us but it didn't seem to be fowling our lines quite as bad. The night was not a total loss though, I got to fish with and meet a member of B.O.C. that loves fishing as much as I do, and we had a good long visit, and for me that's what about 90 percent of fishing is all about. meeting new people and making new friends.

8. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I had a great time! The good conversation made the skunk go down a lil' smoother. I can't wait until the next chance we get to try it again!!

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Man, I spent too much time working in pet stores, cause my first impulse on reading about WHY the moss or algae gets so bad was to go into a scientific distertation about water chemistry and how phosphates from decaying matter act as mirical grow when combined with sunlight. It's not the heat, it's the amout of direct sunlight the algae is getting. If there are shadier places and sunnier places, look for the shadier ones and there should be a little less salad, lol! I HATE trying to fish in heavy vegitation myself, but thick hair algae is the worste, the way it balls up and clings to your line.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Allen, Thanks for the chemistry lesson. But their are no shadier places in the Aqueduct, I guess we will just have to wait till that sun light is not quite so hot.

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ya, I'm not familiar with the aquaduct, but if it don't have any trees alongside it anyplace, or other tall structures to cast some shade for any considerable amout of the day, then it's going to be pretty much the same all over the thing. That hair algae can kill fish too. In an aquarium, if it gets out of hand, it's been known to get caught up in the fish' gills and suffocate them. Is that a source of drinking water or is it irrigation water? I'm wondering if they do any sort of water treatment on it anyplace along the flow? If it's for irrigating farmland then the LAST thing they are gonna want to do is put any sort of herbicides in it, and the fact that it has so much natural nutrient is going to make it all the better for irrigation. If it's a drinking water source then they might have some places along the flow where they treat it and the muck won't be as bad. Just a thought, but like I said, I know nothing about it.

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Allen,
    Yes it is a drinking water source, this is what keep's Los_Angeles from dyeing of thirst. But it's also used for irrigating farm land. You would need to see the Aqueduct to see just what it would be like to fish in. No trees no grass no weeds just cement and dirt. not your Idle fishing spot, But it has some nice Channel cat and stripers in it, and it is about the only spot I have close that I can fish.

13. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    In California it's known as the concrete river.