Moss Lake Info

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jimbow3, Jun 29, 2007.

1. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    Where are some good spots on Moss lake I live close but have never fished there

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Don't hear much about Moss Lake. I've never seen the lake myself although I've been close by it several times.

3. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    I guess not many people go catfishing at this lake

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I hear it is a real good crappie lake. Don't know about cats however.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only times I have been to Moss Lake were to covering drownings in my old news days. Like Mudkip, I have heard there are crappie in there, and I know there are some decent largemouth up to the six pound range that are caught there. Some say it is a well kept secret for crappie.

Considering the size, and that it is the water supply for Kings Mountain, there may be motor restrictions, or possibly a limit on the number of boats. Check with the town of Kings Mountain since I believe they annexed the lake in the late 90's

I do know they have small bass tournaments there since the Shelby Star publishes the results.

6. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have fished the lake for stripers which they used to stock. It has been a few years. I have caught a few small cats but that was before I got into catfishing and don't remember exactly what they were other than they weren't blues.
    The lake is small so it doesn't take a lot of time to check it out. A while back I lived across the road from the lake and I know a lot of big bass and some good crappies came out of it. Didn't fish at the time.
    The lake requires a permit which you can get at the landing. It is Kings Mtn water supply and they set the regulations for lake useage.
    Don't remember any boat size restriction.:big_smile:

7. catfisher44

catfisher44 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey jimbow3,

I have fished Moss Lake for years..always had better luck at the north end of the lake, sometime on the Buffalo Creek side, and other times on the far right Northern tip.

I plan to purchase a new boat soon (old one died), and will look you up for some fishing. I love to crappie fish this lake also. I live just 4 miles from the landing....

Took me awhile to find this "New Site" lol

8. BuzzingCatfish

BuzzingCatfish New Member

State:
    NC
    Several years ago, I used to fish up the creek near old stubbs road. There was a nice channel that had a good bend in it before the lake opened up. Anchor upstream and cast into ~ 12 ft of water. Several nice blues