Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Nobody Special, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My wife has a little plastic pond that had some water plants in it. I dumped it out because mosquitos were breeding in it. Is there anything that can be put in the water to keep the mosquitos out and wont hurt the plants or the dog when he drinks out of it?

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Put you a couple of little bream in there thay will eat the wiggle tails.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Wormer that you use on dogs is just poison that won't kill the dog at the recommend dosage, get some cheap liquid wormer and pour it in the water, may have to experiment to get it strong enough to kill the skeeter wiggglers, but it should do it.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    petsmart has a some stuff to put in the water... i don't remember what its called... my friend was having the same problem, and he said that he put this chemical in there and hasn't had anymore mosquitoes in his pond at all, his dog drinks out of it all the time and has been just fine, i don't know if its meant to be pet safe, but i would imagine that it would be... after all, it doesn't kill fish, and the water has to be pretty good not to kill the fish

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Oh yeah, you can put just enough mineral oil in the water to put a skim on it, won't take much, and the skeeter lava can't breath through it. Cheaper than womer.

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks, I'll try the mineral oil and see if that helps.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Grumpy I don't think you should be Killing them Mosquitos down there in Your neck of the woods Because I think its Your state Bird Isen't it?L.O.L.Bigcatman0816.:big_smile: