Mosquitos!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, May 12, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I went fishing on wednesday with a couple of friends. We got to the river around 4:30 and fished untill roughly 9:30. We all wore insect repellent, and since we were shore fishing, we also had a fire. When sun dipped down behind the trees, i looked up into the sky to see a humongus swarm of mosquitos. They were EVERYWHERE!!!! They did stay away from the fire because they don't like smoke, but as soon as one of us would leave the fire, we'd have mosquitos covering our arms, legs, clothing, etc..:angry: . Since we weren't catching much, we decided to leave early do to our "friends." Any suggestions on repelling mosquitos!?!?!?!

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Many of my friens who eat a fair amount of hot peppers don't have problems with skeeters. Repelents work for a while but you have to be careful not to contaminate your bait. I keep a citronella candle burning next to me on the bank it helps some but you have to alow for the wind. SE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

3. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i camp on the edge of a pine forrest on the mississippi.( big river state park). skeeters can be brutal. there is a horse riding group there. they came by one day and they were all covered in bounce dryer sheets. had them stuck in their hats, belt loops, socks, horse bridle, saddle, anywhere they could stick them. i had to ask, and they swore it keeps the bugs off. my wife does it now,says it really helps. they don't bother me much, they buzz around but don't bite.
    i have also heard you want to avoid eating bananas in the summer. something in them comes out your pores and attracks skeeters.
    if your in a cloud of bugs, smoke is probably the only thing that will help
    GOOD FISHIN"
    catwacker

4. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i bought some off outdoorsman that is like 98 percent pure deet and that i think it helps some i prefer smoke though

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    smoke doesnt help much for those texas coastal beach skeeters. was on matagorda beach one time when the wind laid so much that the surf looked like flat glass. thought walkin out on the 1200 foot pier would work but they found me. built a fire on the beach n even made more smoke by pouring boat oil on it. didnt help. next mornin there was a thick ring of dead skeeters around the fire. only thing ive found that works is repellant that has a high % deet. or lol standin in a cloud of ddt after the fogger truck passes by. anyone remember those?

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Those skeeter repelent candles work well. But one thing I've done several times, and this is only if you don't mind looking like a navy seal, is coating mud from the bank on your extremites, it works fairly well.

7. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    in the army we were instructed not to use anything with a scent, like the shampoo, after shave, cologn and deodorant. they said the mosquitoes are attracted to scents like that.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Also the color of your clothes make a difference I think the light colored ones are attractive, you can use Avon Skin so Soft that works for me and I have soft skin :big_smile:

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A couple of my neighbors swear by Absorbine Jr. I'm going to give it a shot when the skeeters get rowdy.

Ever notice that people who spend money on beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets are always complaining about being broke and not feeling well?

10. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one word ........permanone. Just don't put it directly on your skin. spray your clothes and then let them dry before you wear them, and no more skeeters, chiggers or black flies. works great. It can be found at home depot it is comonly used to spray homes for bugs. i make it up with half permanone and half water spray it on my clothes, let it dry and it will work for up to a week before you need to do it again. This works much better than DEET. Of course a weeks worth of river slime make them smell real nice!!!!!

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I read an article a couple of years ago that explained that's how those blood-suckin-varmits find their next meal, exhale and you're toast. According to this story if you are "light" skin.. complexion you are more apt to be impaled first. They also suggest that any scented spray actually attracts them too. The over all consensus is eat lots of garlic, take the skeeter repell pill, or try what I use, Avon Skin So Soft! Smells OK, has an oily base, will (very TRUE) take the varnish right off your rifle, pistol, shotgun, but works for me. I have a deep abiding
    dislike for those little beggars. I lost a very close friend a few years ago to a mosquito bite on the base of his neck "Encephalitis". One in a million at that time carried this deadly disease. They are not just pests.
    Don

12. Bill_Gibbs

Bill_Gibbs New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like a rain suit and one of them goofy mesh hoods over your face.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: THE IDEA OF THE RAIN SUIT SOUNDS GOOD .AT LEAST TILL IT GETS 90DEGREES OUTSIDE.THEN I'M AFAIRD IT WOULD BE JUST TO DARN HOT TO WEAR. I HAVE NOTICED AT THE RIVER CAMP WHEN WE FISH AT NIGHT THAT IF YOU HAVE A LANTERN DON'T KEEP IT RIGHT BESIDES YOU. OR TRY HANGING IT UP HIGHER IN THE AIR. PUTS OUT BETTER LIGHT AND THE BUGS GO TO THE LIGHT AND LEAVE YOU ALONE. MOST OF THE TIME ANYWAY. GOOD LUCK ,DON'T GET EATIN ALIVE

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :006: :0a25:

WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO THE BOC .ITS A GREAT PLACE TO PASS THE TIME. SOMETIMES I THINK I SPEND A WHOLE LOT OF TIME ON HERE. BUT I LOVE IT. AGAIN WELCOME TO THE CLUB BROTHER CATFISHERMAN AND NEW FOUND FRIEND.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thermocell.

The best money you will ever spend. I use them religiously during bow season for deer and in the spring for turkey.

16. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually spray the bug spray in the palm of my hand till its got a small puddle then manually apply it to any open skin. Seems to work alot better then just spraying it and it keeps the stuff out of your eyes. Using that with some smoke usually does the trick for me.

I'm not a smoker but if it's a bad mosquito season or area I'll take a pack with me and use to to blow smoke all over myself in addition to the bugspray.

Hope that helps

PS: Here's a good link I found

17. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yall,Here in oklahoma we got skeeters that are so big thy will fly off with your bait lol lol.I use Avon's Skin so soft bath oil.I put it in a small spray bottle .Brothers IT WORKS!!!!:big_smile:

18. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Mosquitos?! AH! RUN AWAAAAYYYYYY!!!

I hate those little nÜb bugs. I honestly do not see any purpose for a flying bloodsucking machine other than to annoy people and spread disease. They are rediculous mess ups of evolution.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've used "skin so soft". I know it's a girlie product but itworks pretty well. Learned it in boot camp (though they didnt let us use it).

20. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've tried some of the stuff you guys have posted and It's all helped.The best thing I've found to do is to take a shower in sportsman's soap (to get rid of smells) and dress in dark colors.Get a combo going-candle,sprays,smoke,fogger,etc.I pick a couple of those and it helps.Thanks to this post I have a few more tricks to add to my bag-thanks for the info ya'll this is why I love the BOC.