Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any good tips for the little pesky buggers this year? I've seen listerine, bounty dryer sheets, ect. Thermacell seems like the real deal...but it is pretty pricey for the refills. Just curious as the nats were driving me crazy yesterday on river during day, I just can't wait when I go out at night when the mosquitos try carry me away. Any sugestions well appreciated! Thankyou Smitty

· Registered
481 Posts
Thermacell works great, but you are right about the cost of refills, and if it is windy at all it will blow your protection away. The best thing I have found so far is Repel Sportsmen Max 40% deet. I know that is a high amount of deet to apply to skin, but it works. Sometimes the gnats swarm anyway, but I need a way to keep the ticks off my clothing, so I go light on skin and heavy on pant-cuffs and such. I often hike in to fishing spots through areas that are swarming with ticks and usually find one on me after a fishing trip, but I've yet to be bitten. Those pests drop out of trees on you and there seems to be no escaping them. The 40% deet can be hard to find but I found it at a good price from Walmart.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
ya i also use the repel sportsman max. works good. just keep it applied liberal to the skin. it holds em off. if ya fish off the bank start a fire. it usually helps if i throw a stick of wetter wood in to get more smoke. smoke keeps em away good

· Registered
343 Posts
I use thermacells, place them just upwind of you when you're fishing. When using DEET sprays, don't spray anywhere near your baits. Also, don't rebait or handle your baits with DEET on your hands. As a rule don't touch baits with any foreign smells on your hands (gasoline, tobacco, DEET, etc.). I guess that's the bowhunter in me coming out. As for fires: flatheads stay away from foregn lights. So if you are possibly fishing for flats - no fires or lanterns, use small red or green LED headlamps.

· Registered
1,215 Posts
I use thermacells, place them just upwind of you when you're fishing. When using DEET sprays, don't spray anywhere near your baits. Also, don't rebait or handle your baits with DEET on your hands. As a rule don't touch baits with any foreign smells on your hands (gasoline, tobacco, DEET, etc.). I guess that's the bowhunter in me coming out. As for fires: flatheads stay away from foregn lights. So if you are possibly fishing for flats - no fires or lanterns, use small red or green LED headlamps.
like he said its not so much as the fire its the smoke ur after.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.....I know if it is windy the bugs are not as bad anyway....So I just bit the bullet and got a thermacell. I will get it in the boat asap! I hope I'm not disapointed. Thankyou Smitty

· Registered
3,130 Posts
1st of all, you've made a smart purchase on the Thermacell. I've put these units to the test in Canada while Bear Hunting. They are by far, the best thing around for mosquito protection! Developed by the military, I believe they have better work!! lol.

Anyways, from what I've read, try to keep the Thermacell away from fish. The repellant is supposively toxic to fish. I'm guessing this means keep the unit from direct contact of the fish, especially if you're practicing CPR ( catch, photo and release of the fish).

Yes! the refills are costly for the Themacell, but I can guarantee, you'll be a more confortable fisherman and will be able to stay out fishing longer!!

· Registered
4,103 Posts
take a fishing partner with sweeter blood,keeps them off ya pretty good,lol. get some B-12 vitamins and dose up real good on them before you leave home the B-12 in your blood is a natural repellent, repellent with high deet percentage helps as does those deet packages you wash you cloths in, around here the bugs are out from dusk till about 10:30 in the summer after that the bugs seem to go away for the most part. Although I had a luna moth last year that though my headlamp was sexy,darn thing wouldn't leave me alone.

· Registered
98 Posts
I tried the therma cell but really didn`t like, it worked 3 or 4 times but I had to hit the buttom 30 or 40 times to get it to light and then it got to where it wouldn`t light at all so I wasn`t too happy about throwing that money away.
I tried the Off fans and I am having pretty good luck with it, I always run 2 of them in the boat.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
long time ago there was a oriental gal who was always fishing near me at a certain spot, she would bring along about 15 charcoal briquettes every time she went fishing and stack them in two layers in a tiny circle downwind of her, she would light them up and all evening toss on a few green leaves, or handfulls of green grass, making a heck of a smudge that kept her free of insects I think. I know I never saw her slapping at bugs when I was.

· Registered
324 Posts
I spray myself down w/deep woods off. Stops most of them, but they drive me crazy around the eyes and ears. Also use the personal fan by off (dont know what its called) It wont work by itself but seems to keep them away from my face. Between the 2 of them I have a nice hassel free nite.

· Registered
346 Posts
If you roll around in mud and cover your entire body, you wont have any bugs to worry about! I guess you just gotta decide if its worth it :cowboy:

I gotta say, this year if I'm going night fishing, I wear pants/long sleeved shirt and boots (even in the 100 degree heat of summer). It keeps the bugs off, keeps ya free of poison ivy (just be careful when washing/handling your clothes at home), and generally I don't feel too hot. At night the temp may drop from 95 degrees to 75, and my buddies are freezing cuz of the change in temperature, and im all cozy and bug free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.