Mosquito repellant

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by blindfly69, Jul 12, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok well its happened to me more than once...i've been ran out of spots (literally running) because the mosquitoes were sooooo bad.....what do ya'll do to keep them away?

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i use off sportsman usually try and get 40% deet

but i wanna get some 100% deet and spray it on my shoes.. at least to try it out..

it works ok for me but i would like somethin a bit better
    but like i said most of the time it works perfectly.. better than off IMO

Jeff

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Max Deet and Thermocell, they will leave you alone. Eat a diet high in Garlic also, it helps.

4. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thermacell!!

I wont leave home without it!

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    If they are bothering me I use the Thermocell. Most of the time they do not bother me, don't know why.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love the Avon products, but I'm biased because my wife sells them. They are cheap for me and they work.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    whats the deal with the thermacell

do they repel gnats and stuff...

Thanks

Jeff

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    oh yeah and is it true that bug spray will mess up your abu for good?

9. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Wow guys, I've never heard of Thermacell. :confuse: Woulda been nice to know about a week ago when I spent the week camping. People thought I had a rash I got bit so much.

10. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Thermacell is the best on the market by far. It is EXPENSIVE, but it works. Now as for the BEST repellant the works, that would be 3M Ultrathon. It will repel mosquitoes up to 12 hours. And it really WORKS. I've tried them all, and it is the best out there. God bless.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    THERMACELL,THERMACELL, THERMACELL, Whoever Invented It Ought To Be Rich !!. The Only Repellant I Use Is Repel Woodsman Formula But ONLY On My Clothes, It Makes Me Sick To Spray It On My Skin & I Only Use That When My Thermacell Runs Out Or If It's Real Windy When The Thermacell is Not As Effective, HTH Elliot

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Perhaps Thermacell is someting I will have to look into. I mostly use a small smokie campfire and any repellent with a 40% deet or higher. Remember the amount of deet doesnt mean it repels better it just repels longer. I can handle geting bit but I cant handle them in my face or buzzin in my ears.
    They can sure drive you nuts!:waaaht:

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If You Don't Go Out & Buy A Thermacell, I'll Probably Send You One. Believe Me You'll Be Jumping Up & Down On Your Soapbox Screaming, "I Can't Believe I Didn't Get One Earlier":tounge_out: :tounge_out: Elliot

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    After doing a little research these seem to be great except, they only last for twelve hours? Then another $6 for a refill? I am out sometimes 6 nights a week I think it would get to be pretty expensive. Does a breeze kill the effectiveness of them?

15. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Avon sells a lotion called SO SOFT Works pretty well. Good luck. Darn mosquitoes must DIE!!!! LOL

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hrm... and the last time I sent catfishing I wsa out there for 18 hours....

Frankly, I sit in the dark with a long sleeved shirt on. They seem to leave me alone for the most part.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use Bounce dryer sheets and they leave me alone. I read that on here a long time ago, and it works for me.

18. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I am out anywhere from 8-11hrs a night when I go out. I usually wear a sweatshirt, but these Minnesota mosquitos are thick -n- viscious and with this hot weather we are having its too hot to be wearing a long sleeve shirt let alone a sweatshirt. I too sit in the dark. The only light I use is a red led head lamp that doesnt attract bugs. I guess it could be worse, we could have snakes here.:lol:

19. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what exactly is a thermacell?

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota