Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Mosquito Lake

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  zcat 
#1 ·
Fished the lake this tonite for 3 hours.With my son caught 1 flat that went 3.7 pounds.Not all that big ,but our personal best . Had out bluegills and gold fish , fish took the biggist gill i had. Had to try out my new cabelas 11 foot live bait rods that is for the kid.Had my own for ten years,but added shakespear free runners to all 4 rods today. ups visited today.

#8 ·
Zcat

Yes that is what is said about Mosquito Lake & the Flatheads, even that is said over to the Akron, OH area bait shops.

Personally I leave most all the Flatheads go & only do R&R. Out of the 100 Flats I now have only 2 that I have I ate just to see how they taste. IF the BIG fish were safe to eat & Ohio's waters much cleaner and the mud bottom lakes had spawning areas and more Flats only then would I do set lines, jugs etc., etc. & harvest some to eat.

There were two claims with one photo of guys saying they caught/seen Yellows over 80#s @ Mosquito Lake. One I talked to one of them personally and he had a photo of another guy & him holding a very large Flattie. I still don't buy it 100% for sure!!!!!

I will not even claim CPR do to my opinion of anyone that would have a steady diet of Tabby Cats can't be all that smart in Ohio(again thats my opinion). So if someone thinks or wonders if I'm not to smart they can keep there opinion, LOL!!

I do fish the Ohio River just south of Eastliverpool, OH bank fishing and get decent Flats not huge though there. The only reason I'd fish Mosquito is if the Ohio River was way to high. I'm not a very well round Flatheader and If I was going to learn to fish the lakes from shore it would be Tappen or Salt Fork.

PS: Both the 80+ Cats were claimed on R&R.

"Happy Hunting the Flatheads"

:smile:

#9 ·
I eat cats out of ohio waters...only one lake though.....hoover reservoir. The water is clean and the fish are too. I don't eat them consistently due to the common sense factor you described, but I eat them a few times a month.

As for the flats...never had a go at them, I fish for the blues and channels. There is a local spot not ten minutes from me where my buddy is pulling out 20 pound plus flatties so I am gonna hit that as soon as I can seine some chubs.

#10 ·
BGRUMBLES

Yes B I do too but the warning in most all if not all of Ohio on the Cats that are on the bigger side, not me thank you.

Its the mercury that if I remember right that is in the meat and one can not get it out. The same goes for the warning now for some people on Tuna from the salt water....Mercury I believe.

:dribble: :cry: :beated:

#14 ·
Hello to all... been gone for a while but stopped by to catch up and wanted to comment on this.

Ive been told by a couple of different people that the reason the mercury levels are high in the fish test they do is because they grid the hole fish to take there samples from (Thats inards, bone everything)?? Any comments on that?
Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.