Mosquito Lake - big catfish in north east ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ryansmith714, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ryansmith714

ryansmith714 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive heard that there were some big cats in mosquito lake, and i was wondering if this was true and where on the lake they are. i was out there today and i had no luck at all. The water is still very warm and has very low water levels. And also has alot of sea weed so any help would be great. thanks

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes there are Yellows in the lake. It was stocked by the state back in "67" with 10,000 fingerlings.

I found a spawning drum on the NW side of the lake ashore after a big storm back about 3 yrs. ago.

DH got a few there n have heard (hearsay) that 2 guys got a couple of REAL BIGGINS there.....hearsay, even with onne of the guys photos.

:wink:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I also have heard there are nice Flathead in there and have seen some nice pics at Causeway Bait and Tackle Shop. Stop in there and talk to Linda, she knows a lot about the lake. Well held a NEOCATS tournament there earlier this year, but no big ones were brought in. The water was low then also.

4. Dizzywater

Dizzywater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Brother-In-Law and I have fished Mosquito for Flatheads several times this summer. We had two nice ones on in early June, but couldn't hold them, landed a couple smaller ones. The fishing went cold in July, so we didn't get out again until last month. This time we had 80# Trilene Big Game and 7/0 circles. Landed a 9 pound Flathead last week of August and last week we got a 26 and a 31 pounder. All were taken from or near the causeway. This lake gets fished hard for walleye, crappie and catfish, it is amazing how productive it is!

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jim! Also thanks for sharing the info.