Mosin or brit

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Wally_jr, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    starting to get ready for deer season already this year. i cant decide between my brit .303 or my mosin nagant. I really want to use my mosin but cant find any 150gr ammo for hunting. i think 180 is a little too heavy for most deer south of kansas. what do you fellas think? i shoot center targets at 100yds and weight isnt an issue. or if anybody reloads would they be willing to load it with 150gr i will pay the cost of supplies and time? i am a little scared of handloads to many stories of the big buck commin out and a misfire happens.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    theres lota of places to buy surplus military ammo . what caliber is the nagant ? you might try cheaper than dirt ,sportsmans guide, or Midway USA for ammo,bullets and dies. on the other hand the 180 gr bullets should work as well as the 150s not that much difference if you arent shooting over say 200 yards hope this helps ,maybe some other members can add some input also because i'm, not real familiar with military rifles but good luck and welcome to the boc

3. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the info, i have seen what 150 does inside 100yds, and it didnt get a chance to open up but i saw pics of deer my buddy shot with 160 at 130yds that opened up it was kinda grizzly. but thanks for the input. i have found the surplus and winchester makes a .762x54 for the mosin its in 180 i am just curious.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've never shot a 303 enfield but i used to own the indian enfield in 308 cal. That was a heavy rifle but accurate. I like the mosin nagants alot. I used to own one back in the day but my ex made me get rid of my collection. now I'm trying to figure out how to get my wife to let me get a mosin and an sks (great plinker).

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot 170gr and 180gr in my 30-06 & my 30-30 because they are the most accurate in both guns and I can load the same bullet in both cases. They weight doesn't matter as much as the type of bullet when it comes to mushrooming. Round nose bullets will always open more then military style bullets because military rounds are not meant to mushroom much. (Geneva Convention does not allow hollow points.) Any soft nose bullet will do the job on deer. I've been re-loading for 25 years and have never had a mis-fire! If done properly, they are as good or better then factory ammo.

6. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the input guys!!!

7. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    you can find soft nose ammo for the moisin. Norma ammo co make it. you just have to find it