Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Balex123, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    It's a Russian rifle used mostly in WWII as a sniper rifle. It is a simple
    and rugged gun that can be made to hit reliably beyond 300yds. with
    iron sights. As good as either the Springfield or Mauser turnbolts but
    I think it is produced in an odd .30 cal round that might be a bit hard
    to get ahold of. I shoot a .303 Enfield and it's getting harder to find
    rounds for that venerable ol' lady. They are all wartime .30 cal long
    range turnbolts and have proven themselves for around 70yrs. You
    could do worse. I'd buy the gun and find out what needed fixing.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought one a couple of months ago from my local gun shop. 110.00 and I got the bayonet and all the other stuff with it. The main thing is get all of the cosmoline out of it. Mine has a new barrel, and I had to work it some too wear it in ect. I found an enormous amount of info on you tube. I shot a bunch of ammo thru it, and at a 100 yards for a blind fatman, I was hitting the bulls eye most of the time. I have found ammo as cheap as 5.00 a box of 20. I bought some 205 grain soft points for it at 8.99 a box, and am going to let my friend use it this year to deer hunt. The Mosin has a little harder kick than a 30.06. All in all, it is a simple straight shooting gun, and I'm going to buy another one in the near future. Later Andy

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Now I gotta go and buy yet another old military gun. I need a cure for my addiction.:big_smile::big_smile:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    The gun addiction huh lol.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes I'm addicted to guns. I think they are just like lays potato chips, you just can't have one. LOL I have a couple of SKS and now the Mosin, and one thing that has impressed me is the simplicity of the weapon. I do believe you can beat em up, throw them in a creek and leave them for a long time and they will still function. So far the ammo is still cheap. Although it isn't reloadable, it is affordable, and I have noticed some of the major brands of ammo is starting to produce reloadable ammo. The amount of info on You Tube is incredable on these guns, and has helped me a lot. So I'm an addict, and I hope to see you on the range. Later Andy

7. festus

festus New Member

I have one of those Russian Moisins, also with the bayonet. It had been sitting in the closet forever, and this past spring I got it back out and cleaned it up and found some ammo. It's 7.62 mm. My dad ordered it by U.S. Mail in the 1960's for probably not much more than $10. Can't remember if the ammo was from Gander Mtn or Dick's Sporting Goods, or if I ordered it from Cabelas, but it was inexpensive and easy to find.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i dont know if you can use it or not...but i would buy it as a colletors gun and if your not in to them sell it to a collecter!!!it is worth way more than 100$$$

9. festus

festus New Member

I have 2 of those British .303 Enfields, also Michael. It wasn't hard to find ammo. Only problem it was very expensive.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Some of the military surplus ammo is corrosive. Better to spend the extra bucks for non-corrosive ammo, than having to clean it up so well....That's the kicker for the older guns.

If ya want a movie to go with it, rent "Enemy at the Gates" bout WW2. Same Ruski gun.
    :big_smile:

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have a buddy who is a farmer, and that is his 'truck gun'. he kills deer, hogs, and coyotes with it and it will knock a deer flat. any of them i have ever shot have been really accurate. only issue i have seen with them was scope mounting. scout style or cantilever mount unless you want to get it drilled and buy a new bolt.

12. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I bought one for 88.00 accurate right out of the box after i got all the cosmoline off. Ithen went to cabelas and bought a syththic stock for 69.00 also had scope mount and bolt put on by a gun smith another 120.00 plus buying a low end scope of 70.00 for it . Its a great deer gun great for planking on Sportsmens warehouse you can get shells around 5.00 a box of 20 buy them in bulk its cheaper. Ive seen them sell as much as a 130.00 at gun shows. FUN GUN TO HAVE .

13. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana

Yeah Andy, Hows those Sks's. I ended up getting the Mosin and now I'm looking at Sk's. Think they both would look good together on the wall. After buying two long guns in the last week for the first time, I would say there addicting.

14. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Bryan, I have 3 sks's. The first on is an older one that I believe is a russian, although it is marked chinese. The reason I say this is it is very heavy. The other 2 are twins and considerably lighter. The wife like the lighter ones, as she only weighs in at 96lbs, she can use it during rifle season, and she has fun shooting it also. The ammo for the sks has gone up some in the last year, however they are still affordable to shoot, and an all around good gun. I'd compare it to a 30/30. as with the Mosin, get the cosmoline out of it. I bought my last one from a kid who didn't know about this, and he sold it to me because it jammed to much. I could tell he cleaned the bore, but it's all of the other stuff he didn't clean. I can tell you it's a good shooting gun right now and has yet to jam up on me.
    Anyway so far the foreign guns that I have bought are proving to be very reliable, cheap and fun to shoot.
    Later Andy