Morrels

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by mandingo, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    anybody found any shrooms yet?i went this afternoon and found 1 nice yellow one in a place where i always find them about a week before i find them anywhere else.i think with the long winter we've had,its gonna be a late season.the past few years i have found them before easter,and even then i found some that were already dried up.all the rain we've been getting is gonna get the undergrowth growing which is gonna make them harder to find in the next 2-3 weeks.

2. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Didnt you say that there are some at Osage? If so you'll have to show me one.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah ive found em there before.by next weekend they oughtta be poppin up like wildfire.there is some good lookin timber around there that id like to give a search

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    None here yet. But with the rain we have had the last 2 days and forecast for mid 70's next 2 days, I am sure they will start popping up by Sunday. Maybe a mushroom fry at Osage?

5. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
  6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i wish i could find as many as it would take to feed an army like whats gonna be at osage.it would be a good problem to have enough to feed that many people.i had a year about 5 years ago where i was giving gallon ziplocks full of them to guys at work,relatives and friends.i did'nt know at the time how lucky i really was to find a spot like that cuz it has'nt been the same since:angry:they were the biggest darn shrooms i had ever seen and there were close to 1000 in an area about a half acre in size.every year since the numbers have decreased not only in that spot but every spot i have ever known.anybody got a theory to how you dont find as many as you used to in certain areas?i have heard that over-hunting a spot is not the cause of decreased numbers.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i have heard that while collecting use a mesh type bag so the spores will fall while walking and help to produce more in the future.

8. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    i think the nutrients just get used up in that case and they pop up somewhere else where nutrients are more plentiful.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    that was a pretty good link jake,thanks.with all the crazy reports i hear about mushrooms,i cant believe them without seeing pictures.if i ever find that many big shrooms again i will for sure get pics.when we first found them,it was my 2nd year hunting them and i thought it would be normal to find em like that every year,but i was wrong!!i do use mesh laundry bags when i go to let the spores fall out,they say it works but i cant say it has ever left a trail

10. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    i've only found a few by mistake usually. this will be my first year that I actually go out actively looking for them.

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Ground temperature is very important to morrels as is moisture levels
    at that critical time when that temperature is reached. What is needed is
    a warm rain in the next 3 weeks or a lot of those mushroom root balls might
    just stay dormant for another year. Generally the consistent producing spots
    are near creeks that flow year round because their moisture levels are right
    when the ground reaches the right temp every year just from the relative
    closeness of the water table to the root ball. There's a fungus among us...

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Michael--Try some GOLD BOND on that fungus of the mungus. It'll bring the swelling down.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Different fungus, Mark! You can fry it up without hurting me this way.

14. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    Found a few small ones yesterday, another day or two of good weather should get them going.

Attached Files:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jerald your making my mouth water!

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Yeah, Tom, he does look pretty appetizing doesn't he:smile2:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thats funny !! sorry Tom but it was. :smile2:

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Found just shy of 100 this morning. Morel and cheese omelet for lunch, yum!!

Last nights rain really set them off.

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've been to six different places in the last week and haven't found any. Guess I'll have to check out another place tonight!

20. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guess I might have to put a bag in my turkey vest on Thursday. I figured with all this moisture we should have a good mushroom season!