Morning Madness from the Upper Santee!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mudfishmusic, Jun 14, 2008.

1. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Put in on the Congaree about 7:00pm yesterday. Fished for bream for bait until about 9:00. Set up anchor just after dark on the Santee about 2 miles down stream from the convergence of the Congaree and Wateree. Caught an 8lb blue at the first stop but things seamed slow. Pulled anchor and started working our way back up stream. Caught 5 more in the 5-15lb range before 2:30am. Just decided to make our last stop when whammo - the wife ties into a 30 lb blue!!! I had just dozed back off when I was rudely awakened by the bait click. Set the hook on a 34lb flat head. I told the wife I was whipped but her comes 4:00 am and I'm back up reeling in a 56lb blue. Blistered my thumb on the spool trying to stop him from making it into heavier cover but I think I'll survive. Caught two more little channels this morning. I'm whipped today and my boat stinks to high heaven but that's what I bought it for and man what fun!!! All fish were caught on bream (mostly live but 3 on cut bait). Tried some cut herring and a few shrimp I brought back from the beach but those lines didn't even get a nibble all night.

PS any suggestions on a better set of scales. I've got a digital set but they only go to 50lbs and my brasss spring set is hard to read. Trying to hold those rascals up in the wee morning and get a good reading will flat wear you out.

Attached Files:

2. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Ya'll realy put it on them. Makes me want to come down to the big C and try my luck.
    PEEDEE CAT

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Great catch and looks like y'all had fun from the smiles I see in the pictures.:big_smile:

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    funny thing about catfishing, even a fast night can be slow but the fun isn't so much in what you catch as it is in just being able to go.

5. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We had a good night and the best part was the moonlight. It was so bright that once your eyes adjusted, you could read bold print on a soda bottle and see the fish coming to the top from bank to bank. I've never spent a whole lot of time fishing anywhere other than the Congaree...just haven't seen the need.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great report, Lawrence. Just shows why we sometimes stay "just a little bit longer". :big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an amazing night fishing, congrats on the trip

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great story. Had almost as much fun reading it as you did catchin' 'em!!! Nah... :)
    Bill i SC

9. catfish_express

catfish_express New Member

State:
    south carolina
    those r some nice catches i have been tryin to get around tht area for a while but just wasnt sure how the fishin was but it sounds good to me . could you give me a good landong to put in at where my truck will be safe.

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been fishing the Congaree for 20+years and using Bates Bridge Landing on Hwy 601 mostly. My truck was broken into there once about 10yrs ago. The area that we fish can be accessed from Low Falls almost as easily as we were in betwean. Low Falls is better lit and a little nicer landing. Both are pretty vacant at night and I don't know if there is anything other than ethics protecting you either way you go. I personally don't worry about leaving my stuff at either one.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a great night of fishing, and thanks for the report!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrats on a great night of fishing and try the coffey scales, they are a sponsor here on the boc!!!!

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I put in at the public landing at Pack's and go up river and fish that area. Never had a problem there (so far). It a busy landing and well lit.

14. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It all depends on what side of the river you are coming from. By boat Pack's and Low Falls are about the same but by land I'm guessing they are about 45 minutes apart. Pack's is certainly the nicer landing and and I assume they are still reliable for bait. That is the biggest problem fishing the section of river we were on. The nearest places to buy live bait from the south side of the river are in Santee and Sandy Run. Both are about 35 minutes from the landings. If you live 5 minutes from the water like I do, that makes for about an hour round trip to get bait and get back. I usually opt for just hitting the river an hour early and catching whatever I can for bait. In my experience the big boys will choose a live bream over anything else I've offered them on any night of the week.