Morel post

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Mar 10, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I think there are quite a few morel hunters in BOC from comments I've read.I know its a little too early yet but not much.Last year I found them on April 23 which is later than usual.What I'm proposing is when you start finding them make a post on here with date and approx area.Dont give away any secrets but it may help if you know others are finding them near you.Anyone willing?:smile2: Catfish and morels go together.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think I may look some this year. I have never hunted them before.
    But from what I have heard I am missin out.:smile2:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They are good,as soon as I find some I'll post it on here.

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I'm in.
    Its been a few years since I've found them in big numbers, but there were times when hunting them with my Dad, we would come home with grocery sacks full.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    im in Ray.
    last year was a freak year for morels,i hope this year is at least close.
    im not sure if you could find the morel thread from last year but there was quite a few pics in it.
    the past few years i have found them in one spot along the river before easter.i find them there about 1 1/2 -2 weeks before ill find them anywhere else.the sun hits the spot all day is the only explanation that i can come up with:confused2:

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i take a pic of them every year just to show off, my whole famliy goes out and hunts them and we come back with a bunch of them

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I had them in my backyard last year. Makes it easy to find them.:wink:

8. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    man, its been years since i've have morels. sure does sound good.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Will post when I start hunting. If you have never hunted them, find the cottonwood trees and you will find the mushrooms. Don't know what it is but around here they go hand in hand. Find a strip of cottonwoods that have been logged and you will hit pay dirt.

10. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around here it's the sycamores. I do a lot of trail riding during mushroom season.lol

11. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I'll be out lookin when things start up.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Count me in. I'll post up my results.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Around here whenever we find a big patch of them, there's always a standing dead elm tree in the middle of them. They like hardwoods for sure, but the elms standing and rotting with the bark falling off are the ticket to patches.

14. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I too would be happy to share my results. I used to go down around Hartford on the public land and did real well. I don't turkey hunt down there anymore so it is time to find some new spots up this way. Good idea for a thread. Timing is critical to finding morels!

15. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    My dad and I hunt them every year here in KY. We find them from aroun the third week of March till about the same time in April. Brown ones first then the white ones. UUMMM DELICIOUS. I love em for breakfest with bacon eggs and gravy. Makes your tounge smack your brains out. lol

16. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I'm in!! I have a buddy who fishes the Missouri up around Keyetsville, north missouri, and when he starts he calls and we fill up the boat with them:eek:oooh:

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    The last few years I've been trying to get them started in my yard by letting some dry out and put them in water and pour water around my yard.I have a couple of apple trees and I've found a lot of them in old apple orchards so maybe I'll get lucky.

18. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Ive always heard that morels replenish themselves by drying out and their spores being spread by the wind. This being the reason people use onion sacks and stuff so the spores can drop out while packing them through the woods. just my 2 cents

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K