Morel Mushrooms

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Carp Killer, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone out there finding any shrooms yet? I went out yesterday and found 4 beef steaks so i would think the morels would be popping up anytime.

2. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    not yet man, im gonna go and try probably late april. i dont think they have sprouted just yet.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    yep; Found some my self and have seen a bunch that have been picked in the last week. Where in the very southwest Missouri.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    We have been finding some here in northeast oklahoma too.

5. KS_Mudcats

KS_Mudcats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Found some the other day around Riley County

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Been out for 2 weeks now off and on and have reached a conclusion or two that even though they should be fruiting there are other factors than ideal temps and moisture. No undergrowth providing shade here in W Ohio and the mycellium knows this cold spell coming is what it takes to make the scleotia fruit. I have hit every elm and ash I know within 20 miles of me and nothing, though some have found blacks nearby. Just wait til this cold snap is over and it warms up around here. It's gonna be good.
    Pics from 2005:
    http://www.ohiosevere.com/morel.html

Good luck to all.

7. I love morels but don't know where I would look to find them. I assume you start outdoors.....:tounge_out:

8. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    That's a great place to start then find a woods with Elm, Ash, Tulip Poplar and sometimes young Maple and old Birch. Look carefully in circles around these trees when the temps are 75 highs and 55 lows for a few days in a row. Move on to next tree of these types repeat rinse and repeat...ohh that's part laundry. Just repeat and rinse them off when you get home.

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around this neck of the woods we find them around sycamores. Very corner of Southwest Missouri