Moreau River Near Jefferson City

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Trent_V, May 29, 2007.

1. Trent_V

Trent_V New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do any of you guys have good luck on the Moreau near Jefferson City. I have only tried a couple of accesses and have been skunked. If you know of a good spot could you tell me how to get there and what you used to catch anything? I appreciate any advice in advance.

-Trent

2. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Moreau is my main spot for catching nice 2-10 pound channel cats and occasionally a few flats. The problem is that most of the public spots really do suck. I think there is just too much activity on and around them, as well a a lot of pressure from bank fishing. The good spots are mostly on private land, considering that almost all of the Moreau runs through private land.

3. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry for the multi-post, but I have a PM waiting for a reply and I only need to post a couple more times to be able to reply to him.

As far as what I use for bait. I think of it this way. I'm land locked ( no boat), so instead of looking for the fish, I need to entice the fish to me. I usually carry 6 different stink baits (dough, dips, punch bait, nuggets) in a variety of brands and flavors , preserved catalpa worms, frozen shad guts and sides and a minimum of 4 doz. nightcrawlers, and sometimes crickets and grasshoppers. I catch fresh bait as I fish.

Shad guts...are my magic bait. They never fail to catch fish.

Shad sides...I only use when fishing for blues on the MO river or it's so hot and dry your only gonna catch snappers.

Stink baits...I use mainly in the early spring or in ponds and lakes

Catalpa worms...are supposed to be really good catfish bait, but I mainly catch baitfish with them.

Nightcrwlers...another magic bait. you'll catch everything on nightcrawlers.

Crickets...for baitfish.

4. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now...where to fish...I can't tell you how to get to my private spots out of respect for the land owners, but we can buddy up and with certain understandings and I'll take you there. I'm always looking for fishing buddies!

From what I understand the 50 East Access is really good bank fishing at night, but I've never found it to be.

The road/dam on the west side of Binder lake is supposed to be good spot at night too...but I've never found it to be. For some reason those cats only like chicken liver, and I'm not gonna fish with something I'd rather take home, fry up and eat myself. :)

A really good public spot that I found has a washed out boat ramp, so it's closed to boats and there is almost never anyone else there fishing. Cedar Creek Access. It's just north of Jeff on Hwy 63, on the left just before the petrolium distribution place (which is also on the left). If you see it you went a 1/4 mile too far. Turn around there, head back towards town and make the first right off the hwy. Then right on the outer road and then left, avoiding the driveway with all the radiation warning signs posted.

I also fish right across the river below the bridge and Smoky Waters by Osage City. I've caught some real nice blues out of the MO river at Smoky Waters.

All the other places I go are a short distance out of town, but I don't get to those too often as I don't drive.

5. Trent_V

Trent_V New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those are all spots that I have either fished in or thought of fishing in. I have fished at Binder lake way too many times to count and have heard that people catch some big ones below the pavillion on the east side of the lake by all of the downed trees. I have never had anything above 5lbs there. Another access that I think could be good if I learned how to fish it would be the Sandy Hook access out highway 79. I will shoot you a message next time I'm fishing down in the area. Thanks again for the advice.
    -Trent

6. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dave,
    I need someone to fish the river with me in Jefferson City, not fun going alone. I have a 20 sea ark for river fishing.
    Allen

7. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Trent,
    The Sandy Hook Access north of town is a good place if the water goes down and the rocks are showing, If they arent you are just out of luck. I fish there A LOT. there are a few places up and down highway 179 that you can get to the river from by parking and walking. Just be careful and not trespass on private property, (I usually walk down train tracks).

8. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ALLEN!! I need someone to fish with in Jefferson City with a 20ft SeaArc!!! I've sent you a PM discussing the situation. After 11pm tonight I'll be ready to go until noon Monday.

9. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trent, because of work, at the moment i'm only fishing from Sat. night from 11 pm untill Mondays at noon. Drop me a line on saturdays and your on!