More trouble

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by psychomekanik, Apr 7, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First i'd like to thank you guys for the help you offered with my carb problems. i finally found the right parts, rebuilt them and got it running great. the flooding problem was from a cracked and shifted venturi. it must have been creating a heck of a vacuum and sucking too much fuel out of the bowl. i got this thing after it had been sitting awhile. i put a new water pump in it right off the bat. now my lower unit is taking on water. i'm not sure if it's the prop shaft or on the input side. might i have done something putting the water pump in it? or is it likely just an old seal poblem. i did get a little fishing line wrapped around the prop the first time i took it out. it didnt seem to get down to the shaft. but, who knows..anything common to these engines you can think of?? i'd like to reseal the whole thing. (lower unit) i do have a service manual for the engine, but i'm just trying to be really careful. am i going to ruin the prop taking it off? or just the hub. any suggestions on what parts i'll need, what websites you like, and any other suggestions would be really helpful. it's a 40 horse mercury 4 cylinder 2 stroke. ser#0g475370 mo#1040411td

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you get the pictures I sent yea on that lower unit? I would pressure test it to see where it is leaking at. It doesn't hurt a thing taking that prop on and off. Take the drain or fill plug and go to a hardware store or some where and get the right size brass fittings and fix it where you can pump a little air into the lower unit. Take it off and set it in a can of water where it has the water pump submerged and pump a little air into it and the leak will show up.
    I have used bicycle pump to do this. If you do this with a compressor be sure and not to put over 6lbs of air to it. If you do it will rupture every seal in it.
    My self I would change the lower water pump housing out with new seals and put new gaskets behind both drain and fill screws before I went into the prop shaft.

I may have the wrong person on the pictures. I got this CRS problem.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats a really good idea. (pressure testing it). i'll rig it up with some fittings and a regulator and use shop air. right on brother!! i found the complete lower end seal kit. but i want to make sure i get to the root of the problem. i think this will do it. thank you very much..
    Mark

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks again Willard. i rigged up a regulator, and a guage with a homemade fitting. i used a 1/4 brass nipple end. and ran a 3/8-16 die over the top of it forming new threads to match the vent. dropped it in a barrel of water and found the shift shaft seal was the problem. forget the complete seal kit. i just ordered the one seal..it worked slicker than a dogs ummmm, chewbone!:big_smile:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Always good to hear when a good plan comes together. Thanks for the follow up.:cool2: