Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salmonid got this ball rolling but I think it's time to get another idea on the drawing board for the DNR to consider for the future.

1.) This one has to do with limblines, set lines and trot lines.
Everyone knows these are strictly for catching large catfish in greater numbers than is possible with a rod and reel.

Now that we have a limit of one large fish per day on catfish, these methods are not only outdated and unnecessary but are extremly destructive to the large fish populations that we all desire as recreational fishermen. They only serve as a thinly disguised legal way for a few people to engage in the illegal practice of selling our public rescources.

Now is the time to speak up to the DNR on line 22 of their questionaire in the only recourse we have at the moment. The " comments " section. Wich will no doubt be ignored since this is a bass fishing survey but none the less maybe we can get a catfishing survey in a few years if enough people say something this year.

I implore all of you reading this to fill out that survey and make a post in the COMMENTS section. Tell them you too would like to catch a 50 pound Flathead or Blue someday on your rod and reel.
Tell them that going into a cove on your favorite lake and seeing 50 set-lines scattered around on every available piece of structure is demoralizing and borderline criminal.

Tell them that motoring up to a beautiful bend in the river only to see limblines tied to every overhanging branch for half a mile or more on both sides, leaves you with no place to set up and fish.

If the two rod rule is in effect to ensure that just a few folks cannot occupy the majority of productive fishing areas, then the limb-line, set-line, trot-line rules need to be RE-WRITTEN (ie: reduced to two lines/hooks per person) or outlawed outright. There is no longer a need for this type of fishing if the aim is to produce more oppurtunities for the vast majority of rod and reel anglers in this great state to catch a trophy catfish.

· Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If they won't go for protecting the whole state. There are 3 main rivers in this state just of the top of my head that could benifit from a ban on all types of set, bank, and limb lines.

1.) Muskingum
2.) Scioto
3.) GMR

Call it a site specific ban. Easy to do, just change some printing on next years rule book.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
good thread S-Man, but as a Creel i have brought this up to my boss. And i was told that when a ban on trotlines, bank lines, and jugging was brought up to Strickland he said no. Because they are considered primative ways of catching fish and he wouldnt ban them

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Nate, its not about banning them, just "limit" them to either 6 hooks or 6 single hook lines for each person to be in the water at any given time, same with Jugs. Pretty simple> Oh yeah, you must also be within sight of all of them when there out, so you cant leave them hanging from trees without bait for boats to get caught on them or trot lines across astream with no bait on them, Hell I almost drowned on a southern Ohio stream one time wading in chest deep water and got a bare hook stuck into my laces, turns out was a trot line someone just leaves in the water and baits whenever they are running it, it was probably the scariest time I have ever had in over 30 years of fishing, I couldnt reach it and it had me trapped, ( by myself miles from anywhere, if i tripped and fell, I certainly would have drowned, I spent an hour trying to get it, finally held my breath and went down to reach my shoe ( double knotted) to get it untied. enough of that, limit the hooks to what the rest of us are limited to, its pretty simple!!!

Salmonid

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Nate, its not about banning them, just "limit" them to either 6 hooks or 6 single hook lines for each person to be in the water at any given time, same with Jugs. Pretty simple> Oh yeah, you must also be within sight of all of them when there out, so you cant leave them hanging from trees without bait for boats to get caught on them or trot lines across astream with no bait on them, Hell I almost drowned on a southern Ohio stream one time wading in chest deep water and got a bare hook stuck into my laces, turns out was a trot line someone just leaves in the water and baits whenever they are running it, it was probably the scariest time I have ever had in over 30 years of fishing, I couldnt reach it and it had me trapped, ( by myself miles from anywhere, if i tripped and fell, I certainly would have drowned, I spent an hour trying to get it, finally held my breath and went down to reach my shoe ( double knotted) to get it untied. enough of that, limit the hooks to what the rest of us are limited to, its pretty simple!!!

Salmonid

A limit would be good but i dont see it happening. People would just continue to do what they want and most likely get a way with it.:angry:

· Registered
40 Posts
I would agree with a limit , But when you check all these limblines and outlines how many have names on them ? Not many. So a law won't work, when as once stated, " people do what they want". They break the law by not displaying names and addresses on the lines now, so it would only make another law being broken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.