More shad than you can shake a stick at!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by huntoften, Aug 8, 2008.

1. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Took me a while to find them in decent quantities, but when I did I had a net so full I could barely pull it in the boat! Kept a few dozen and shook the rest back in...then the action was on! Thanks to Steve's techniques for drifting I had an awesome afternoon yesterday...caught at least 20...maybe closer to 30 blues in about 4 hours of drifting. The fish were very shallow...most in the 6-10 foot range. No big fish, but plenty of 4-5 lb fish. Biggest was probably 7 lbs. Several fish came before bait could get to the bottom...they were that aggressive! Didn't keep a one though...will have to when the wife goes on Sunday...she's not so much into C&R :big_smile:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy I'd love to have a day like that.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like a great day.

The days when you can get more bait than you can use in a single throw sure help offset the days you spend 3 hours looking for just a few...

Glad to hear the drift fishing action is turned on - I'll be down on Sunday with my 8-year-old daughter and we're hoping to tear them up!

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    James sounds like you had a great day on the lake. And it is sure nice to be able to find bait like that. Good luck to you and your wife on sunday. Marty I hope you and your daughter have a great time this weekend also. Always a great time when you have the one of the kids with you.

Tom

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on a fun trip. Good luck Sunday taking the wife out with ya.

6. sigpros

sigpros Member

State:
    missouri
    My friend and I had never thrown a net before bought a little 5 footer at walmart and started to throw it off of his dock. We caught a bunch too. we chalked it up to begginers luck. I might have to try that drift fishing sometime.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats and I hope that you continue your success

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    That's for the update, good job.

9. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I must have left the stick at home this trip. Same location, same wind, no shad except for the threadfins. Caught on a drum and used him for bait as a last ditch effort. Managed a few mall blues and some small channels. Lots of boat traffic, I wonder if having wave runners and tubers run over the spot you're trying to fish has anything to do with it :angry:

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love wave runners, they're the greatest:angry:

Glad you had the good day though. Those make up for the waverunners and the small fish days

11. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I've heard its illegal to bag a waverunner.

That may be justa rumor tho. :0a10:

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Just remember its not the wave runners fault. Its the dummy riding it you want to knock off it:smile2:.

Tom

13. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The waverunners were running in about 3 foot of water at times, I just kept hoping one would wipeout and stick in the mud! :wink:

14. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The only good thing about the asian carp is keeping the wave runners in check. I havnt seen someone knocked of a runner yet but my hopes are still high.

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the trip now if it just worked out that well everytime it sure would make things easier.