More Roosevelt Lake flathead catfish last night

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Nov 12, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Me and Patton got a chance to get out to the Upper Salt near the Diversion Dam on Saturday and left very early Sunday morning, only to be disappointed by the Cardinals this evening:sad2: . Oh well, but we did have some luck that night. Started off with catching a very oddly colored 1.6 lb flathead (deep blue in color), it was funny how small he was and he was probably hooked for 10 minutes because he couldn't pull hard enough to set my bell off. He took my worms and gave a chance to "break in" my new Coffey digital scale, if you can call that breaking it in. Later that night I landed a nice 41.32 Flathead off of a live, half-scaled bluegill, and he had a shade of blue on him as well (Its not the greatest picture, but I wanted to show the awesome scale). Not ten minutes after that, on the same pole, same hole, and another half-scaled bluegill I landed a 26.84 Flathead. A couple hours later, when I was just climbing in my sleeping bag, the same pole with the same bait began to strip line without me noticing (no bait clicker, just freespool with a little bell) and when I finally heard the tiny *ting* of the bell, he had me down to my mono backing and he was still running downriver. I managed to fight him back my way, and he became a decent 31.56 Flathead. Patton didn't get totally skunked though, he masterfully fought and landed a 2 1/2" Channel cat. It still counts, right? Very nice night, got down to about 42 degrees, but no wind, so I wasn't able to complain much. Fairly quiet for a holiday weekend, so I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Attached Files:

2. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Here is a picture of the first little flathead we caught. It amazes me how he managed to take a 7/0 Circle into his belly, but I cut the line off and he looked like he would live. I don't know if the picture does it justice, but this guy was deep ocean blue in color. The 41.32 pounder we caught after this guy had splashes of blue on him too. Is it the cooling water that causes it? Thats all I can guess. He was a pretty fish though.

Attached Files:

3. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Tony,

I have to tell you, you guys have done a superb job this fall in catching fish!!

I also wanted to tell you that I have fished that spot betore...I actually put my boat in there and floated downstream about 200 yards before the river drops off down the rocks. It is a really nice area, but I never fished it since.

You guys showed me up for sure this weekend. Especially since all I caught were a bunch of spotted channels.

I like the little blue flathead. It is strange to see something like that.

Anyway, congrats on the catches...will you be going out again?

Ryan

4. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It really sucks that you didn't have any luck, I know it may be a bit more of an investment for you to get out, but eventually you will get yours. I think I will be back there again this winter yet, as long as I am catching fish and am not completely miserable from the cold. Its sad that I would call temperatures in the 30s as cold, but then again I hate it soo much and that is why I live in Arizona. I will probably get out again in 2 or 3 weeks.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Nice looking fish and thanks for the pics.

6. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Hey guys my channel was more like 3 1/2" beast of a catch had my line stripping of my real i bet it weighed about .5 ounces almost snapped my pole in half with that catch. INSANE fight tony only managed a MEASLY 41, 31 and 26 pounders. NO way they put up the fight that mine did.:big_smile:

And he didnt mention the 7 pounds worth of seaweed fish i managed to catch while i was there those things put up some major fights lol:big_smile: . No but the sea weed was getting a little bit annoying i dont know why there was so much of it had to pull in one of my poles because it kept doubling over with sea weed.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice job....
    ~ Those are some big fish...

8. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Antonio.....great job, great fish. I'll bet that when you're catching them like that, it doesn't seem so cold. Your new scale looks great. Tell me more about it...make, model and where you got it. I haven't found a good one yet,
    Thanks.

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    nice fish guys! id like to see the blue flathead lol. weird.

10. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Tom, there's a link to the photo in post #2 of this thread.

11. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    My new scale is a Coffey Marketing 110lb Game Scale. They are a newish BOC sponsor, so if you check out the sponsor threads on the board you can find their website. They offer a BOC discount but I found it a little hard to reach them by phone (the only way to order) but the man on the other line was very helpful when I finally got through. He told me they guarantee the scale for 5 years unconditionally, so I am pleased. The scale is absolutely awesome, it has a blue back light, temperature gauge, and reads in lbs or kg in increments of .02 lbs. It has a large hook that Coffey even had dipped in plastic to make it easier on the fish. It is easy to hold and weighs very accurately. Cost me $62 including shipping, and it was well worth the money. Highly recommended.

12. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Those are some real nice fish, especially for one night, I must say that the color of the little flattie is quite common here in the Ozarks of Missouri. Don't know why, but see it quite often. Again, great night OUT!!!

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Those are some awsome fish Antonio.Makes me want to move back to arizona.Congrats on the catch.Thx for posting pictures.

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Indeed a nice scale, I got one at Sportsman's warehouse last month.. I have not been able to try mine out yet.. Hopefully I can this weekend.

15. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Tony....congratulations on the continued success. It looks like you've really got it dialed in now.

16. CatfishWarrior

CatfishWarrior New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Where exactly did you catch those cats I am headed there for my first time and need to catch big flathead cats .is the spot near the recreation area ?

17. Moffuger

Moffuger New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Nice fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........we r heading u there next week.........

18. J_Carter

J_Carter Well-Known Member

State:
    Va.
    Just get to the point why don't ya :laugh::laugh::laugh:

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Wow~ This post was dug out of the archives! For a moment there, I thought some of the old crew was back....

The salt above Roosie can be hit or miss.. But when you hit, it can go out of the park!!!

20. J_Carter

J_Carter Well-Known Member

State:
    Va.

I din't see that until you said something!!! 06!! and the threads still going LOL Glad I didn't say "nice fish" :laugh: