More rare then Bigfoot....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats right, this Saturday, Mellon, Dinkbuster and myself will be searching for the rarest of creatures to inhabit the murky waters of the Great Miami River, Winter flatheads?? Nope, Blues?? nada , Big carp??? uh uh, no folks, this is serious business and only under the almost as rare river conditions as we have right now, where the water is chocolate and up 6 ft! It is under this recently rare conditions ( draught this summer) that the chance to actually catch a species so few and far between that no matter how cold, how wet, or how much snow there is, we must take our chances as the opportunity to get a rare glimse of only happens a few times a year and the window is upon us!!

I will have the gear all mended up and ready as the anticipation sets in, I will will not be getting any sleep until the river crests tomorrow and by Sat am will just to start dropping and pulling the flotsom out of the eddys where this elusive creature roams. Of course anyone who fishes the GMR with any regularity has already figured out that I am talking about the gizzard shad. Wish us well as this may be the last time to get any for the next several months as Im am using shad from this past April and I only have a few left.

The cast nets, waders and buckets have been patiently waiting all summer and the time is now!! Go forth Shad hunters and may your nets be fruitful!!

Happy hunting!

Salmonid

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    come on down river a few miles to evansville and you can sink a boat with them they are so thick most of the time...

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a heck of an idea! :big_smile:

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, the lower GMR is chock full of shad but once you get above the dam at Hamitucky and then each dam above that the numbers get thinner and thinner, if it were not for the Stillwater River, I doubt there would be any at all up here. :smile2: They are impossible to catch except durring high water when they congregate so that is why for the last 7 months durring low flows we have been shad-deprived:sad2:
    Wish us luck, they are now calling for 4-8" of snow on Sat here in the Dayton area so I may have to eat my own words......:eek:oooh:

Salmonid

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    have fun guys, i hope you are throwing from the boat though... waders sounds alittle dangerous after all this rain..anyways, goodluck and be safe. rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mark there is no need to go so long without them all Summer, you get ahold of me anytime during the spring and summer and I will get you all the shad you need. The Little Miami is alot easier, when i get them there it usually takes about 20 minutes to have a couple months worth..:wink:

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just got back from the Bigfoot sighting trip and long story short is 3 of us all ptching castnets, ( Dinkbuster, Mellon and myself) for 3 hrs,at about 6 different spots and 150 miles later and the total result was...........(drumroll please) 1-8" shad and I managed a 5 lb smallmouth buffalo. ( Dink took a picture) Water was cranking!!, Chocolate and full of trash but nary a shad to be found:angry:

If your out, be safe!!
    Salmonid

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where has Mellon been hiding at? I am sure the behind the scenes version of todays trip, as reported by Mellon, will implicate someone! :smile2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Plan was good. Execution was good. Results priceless. LOL!

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i went hunting today...and was cold....can't imagine what people thought when they seen you guys in the water throwing nets like you were gonna starve to death....lol:roll_eyes: rollo

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't really implicate someone, but I should have listened to what my body was telling me: I got up @ 6AM and didn't feel right. I started puking like crazy. After that I felt better, so I arrived at the meeting point. I will also add that I Bryan Mellon, was the 1st to arrive at the meeting point, which is a 1st. We should have taken that as a sign that it was not a normal day! :crazy: Anyway, we drove the 70 miles to get to get to the spot. Things were not looking good, as we saw zero signs of shad. Heck, we even got stopped and checked by the game warden. The game warden said, "I have never checked three guys in Decmber trying to cast net Shad". No kidding??? Maybe because only true full blown idiots would do such a thing! :smile2: Well now, we're 70 miles from home during the worst snow & ice storm of the year so far. :roll_eyes:

All in all I'm glad we went becasue if we hadnt gone, we would have swore that the shad were stacked in there like crazy!:eek:oooh:

13. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dink,

This trip will make the next BOC newsletter! :smile2:

You all get Ranger Tabs for the florida phase surviving that water fun :wink:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    :0a20:All I have to say is...that's one of the most hardcore things I have ever seen...!:eek:oooh: That is a bummer you didnt get any, but wow. I thought I would go out in anything, but you bros have got me beat thats for sure. Now I have to go out in the morning or I will feel like a wimp...:worship::wink::smile2:

Nice pics.

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    With Mellon and Dink involved, its always an adventure and I think thats what I enjoy the most about fishing with those guys ! Its not always about catching fish ( but it does help) Gotta love being out with other diehards, it just drives me that much more to want to keep on going. Ill be cast netting tomorrow at a local place at some point that we think has a few shad hiding in it.

Salmonid

16. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, let me ask a dumb question. I've never used gizzard shad for bait, but if you guys go to those extremes to stock up for later (I'm assuming you are freezing them), apparently it must be killer bait. Better than threadfin? or is it the size that makes them better?

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The bigger the better for sure, but other than skipjack, you can't find a better bait around here atleast.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What the heck is Threadfin? :confused2: I don't know if I've ever heard of that before. The larger ones are best for Flatheads/Blues. In my opinon the Channel cats are fine w/ smaller pieces that may have less oils in them.

19. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    H2O....my understanding is that Threadfin shad are normally the smaller 2"-6" shad that typically run in huge schools and the Gizzard shad are the ones that commonly get to be 12" and over. I have netted both this year, but only get the big gizzards once in awhile.

I attached 2 pics of what I'm talking about.

I have used the big gizzards as cut bait with good results but at times it seems if the live smaller shad worked better.

Attached Files:

20. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I usually have pretty good luck catching gizzard shad in the local lakes in NE Ohio. Yes, it is by far the best bait I have used for channels. My favorite place will usually produce enough shad for 4-5 people on an all night trip (during warmer weather of course). I hace a harder time catching them after it starts getting colder.