MORE PROCESSING QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by koking20, Nov 2, 2008.

1. koking20

koking20 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    NOW MY BUDDY KILLED A DEER TODAY AND I WATCHED HIM CLEAN IT AND I WAS AMAZED TO HEAR WHAT HE TOLD ME HE SAID THAT BECAUSE THIS DEER HAD BEEN SHOT IN THE LEFT SIDE THAT NONE OF THAT MEAT WAS ANY GOOD AND WHERE EVER IS WAS BRUISED FROM THE WOUND NOW I WAS NOT IN A POSITION TO TELL HIM HE WAS CRAZY BUT THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKING SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THE GUIDELINES IS THE MEAT NEAR AND AROUND THE WOUND OKAY OR NOT I THOUGHT IF IT WAS CLEANED AND WASHED EVERYTHING WAS GOOD TO EAT SOMEBODY PLEASE INFORM ME SO NOW MORE GOOD MEAT GOES TO WASTE

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't eat blood shot meat but often it's not as bad as it appears either. I neck shoot the majority of my deer and there isn't much waste.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont eat the brused meat either. but cutting it out should not be very much meat loss if hit right. there is not much meat in the rib area so a 2 inch spot around a gun shot hole should not matter. now if it was in a sholder or something I would probable still only cut about an inch or two around the hole. but realy there shouldn't be that much bruising though.
    now a road kill that was hit by a truck, I would think that would all turn into a bruise and not fit to eat. so unless yall made the hole with the bumper on your chevy 4x4 you realy dont need to waste much at all.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Hopefully he didn't gut shoot it. I usually go for neck shots myself. Close range,I puta big hole in the head with my 7mm mag. It's overkill,but I don't like trracking wounded deer,And I don't hunt for the rack.

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Cut the area around the wound out and soak the rest of it in saltwater for about a day in the fridge. Whatever bloody meat is left just cut it out.

I did finish off a doe that was hit by a car once. The one whole side was destroyed with bruising and blood but the other side was good.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a similar discussion with a friend yesterday. After more than 20 years in the meat processing business, I've learned a little something from all the USDA inspectors I've worked with. Bruised meat is just fine. Actually it adds flavor to the gravy. Soaking in salt water does a good job of getting it out. Even if the deer is gut shot, there is no problem. I use a squirt bottle to spray a little bleach and water on the contaminated area and then rinse it off. It will kill any bacteria present. The best thing I have discovered is aging the meat. Never butcher one the same day you kill it. Leave it on the bone and put it in a cool place for at least 3 days. Constant expansion and contraction will break down the fibers in the meat and make it much more tender, as well as taking the gamy taste out. I have an old fridge in the basement with a whole deer in it right now. I killed it Saturday and will cut it up this Wed.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never had much bloodshot meat on my deer,Most times less than a 2 inch area around the hole is wasted,But I shoot for the heart/lungs and there aint much eating on a deers ribs.

8. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I was thinking about trying neck shots this
    season.Do you aim between head and shoulders
    or closer to the head or does it matter?

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It can be risky. The nine pointer I shot in the neck last Saturday dropped like a rock over a small bank. I sat in the blind another hour, but when I went to where he went down, he wasn't there. I hit him at the base of the neck but didn't get the jugular. He had crawled about 50 yards across the field pushing with one back leg. He was very much alive after an hour, so I had to shot him again. The doe dropped and bled out in seconds.

10. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Those that prefer the neck shot..............
    Goodness I might sound really really werid but the neck meat (If croked all day) will fall off the bone and man it is tender! I tend to make chimechangias on of it. Just wondered

11. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    Thanks,I think I will try it on closer shots
    this year and see what happens.

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Shoot a little above the center of the neck. You'll hit the spine and they'll drop everytime.

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I usually cut out as much bruising as I can, although it is usually not that much. Don't like wasting meat.