more power!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigsammy, Mar 7, 2006.

1. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Ok y'all,heres the question-how can I get some more speed out of my 9.9 elec. start Jonson?She's hung on a 14ft semi-v alumninum.The prop is a 9.25x10 three blade.The model #j10rces(not sure what the year is)She comes on plane a little slow I think.When she's up I can see the water spray bout middle of the boat.I've considered a hydrofoil but dont know if it will help.I'm tryin to get a little more out of her without hurtin her.I dont know anything bout props or pitch or even if its the right prop.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks in advance:cool:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd say about the only thing you can do is reduce the weight in your boat as much as possible. There's not much you can do to squeeze any more out of that little engine, so consider what you can do to the boat. Either remove weight or distribute it differently and see what happens. Make sure the bottom is clean too so you don't have any extra drag. And maybe buy one of those aerodynamic helmets like the snow ski jumpers wear to cut down on drag... ;)

A different prop might help, but it depends on what RPM you're currently turning. You want your prop to keep the engine at or near the manufacturer's recommended maximum RPM value at wide open throttle. If it's already doing that, a different prop won't help. Higher pitch (bigger second number) will give you more top-end speed at the expense of a poorer 'hole shot'; a lower pitch will get you out of the water faster but sacrifice some speed. But on a 9.9HP engine, you don't have much range to play with.

Drop a 20 or 25 hp engine on that boat and it'll move with considerably more authority!

3. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Thanks Mr T,I'm searchin google right now fer a helmet! ha ha I will take yer advice and move around some weight and lightened the boat the past couple a days and will see how she does.Thanks for the prop info.I'm workin on gettin an old 20hp merc up and goin not to mention dependable:rock-big:

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just put a hydrofoil on my boat, its a Stingray XP. I was having problems with my boat hopping up and down, because of the 376lb weight called a Mercury 75hp 4 stroke, after I put on this hydrofoil it was like a whole new boat, better holeshot, better top end, better fuel economy, got up on plane in half the space if not better, and stopped the hopping up and down. They make them for engines smaller than yours and they are simple to put on, and pretty inexpensive.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes get a hydrofoil! i put one on my 9.9 mariner and it really improved the performance!.i have it on an old heavy a$$ landau 14ft jon, and with just me and my gear that thing will flat out fly!

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) Hey ...why don't ya fix that 20hp merc I gave ya? That will solve your problem:p

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The cheapest way is to trade up in H/P. Those 9,9 were cut back 15 h/p and when you start trying to up grade them to a 15 then you wind up spending more money then you would if you traded up.

8. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have a 8hp nissan outboard on a 14 foot flat bottom it aint gonna get no speed tickets but its cheap to run simple and it teaches me to relax and enjoy the ride plus ive learned to fish where everyone else pases up

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That looks like a nice boat in your profile pic JAYNC. What kind of boat is that?