Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many have tried this since so much youtube space has covered it.

Bait is still hard to come by right now so my last two outings I brought along nightcrawlers and chicken breast. I've tried both marinated in garlic powder and strawberry jello. My experience has been a flat zero. Only thing that caught fish is nightcrawlers.
I wonder if it is the time of the year and maybe the chicken will work better in summer or fall. For now it seems like a waste of time and money.
Comments are very welcome!

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,052 Posts
Many times have caught cats, channels up to 20lbs, on cbmigp. Also one time that was all they would hit in daytime. Night fell. Nothing. Then caught a bunch on cut chubs. Cbmigp, not a nibble.

On Red in ND got my biggest over 20 there on chicken in jello.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,239 Posts
I tried the jello chicken a few times like you and didn't get anything.
The true test is when I started catching fish this spring I knew then that would be a fair shake for the jello chicken.
I had some bites and lost one fish on the jello chicken so far.
Does it beat cut bait not for me so far but it beats no bait for sure.

Nightcrawlers are the bait that gets you more bait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used it with very good results in the Susquehanna river. Last year in side by side tests with my son it out produced cut alewife for blue cats with fish up to 38" so it wasn't just little ones. It also caught plenty of channels. Zero flatheads on chicken but I expected that. Based on my own experience and some of the things said in some of the YouTube videos I think it works better if the catfish are feeding on clams and mussels. If the catfish are feeding on fish primarily then fish seems to be a better bait. Where I fish the average gizzard shad is over a pound and I rarely see hand size gizzard shad so maybe they don't get eaten as much in that river.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
6,185 Posts
Start exploring where the shad are.... This time of year they're in the creeks.....shad or jacks .... Sometimes live perch and cut buffalo🤔

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started using it as a backup this winter when I couldn't catch any bait on lake Norman. If I could catch bait I would split my rods with perch and chicken. I had mixed results when I had multiple baits but overall it performed very well. I caught multiple blues on it that were 5-45lbs and it definitely attracts a lot of channels. I prefer a natural bait but when I can't find bait this keeps me on the water fishing. I plan to continue using it throughout the rest of the year as an experiment to see if it continues to produce.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Im one off the few that I know of that use it out here in Utah. Mainly because cut bait works so well and people don't give CBMIGP a real try let alone the jello. I have a hard time getting cut bait because I can't get to lake early enough to catch it so I'm stuck with my surf and turf (night crawler and shrimp) or CBMIGP. I do fairly well it is hit and miss at times though

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried it a couple of times this past winter. I just used plain chicken, so I cant speak for the jello , garlic, etc. But I did catch some fish on it. Nothing over 20 pounds, but maybe I wouldn't have caught anything over 20 even if I had shad lol!

I will say this....im a 4 hour drive from DC (where I fish for blues in the winter). Makes for a long trip to drive down there to fish, catching bait is terribly spotty some days in the wintertime.

If I drive clear down there and cant catch bait...im 8 hours worth of driving in and don't get to fish. Knowing I can use chicken to (at the minimum) at least put a bend in the rods catching small fish is really nice.

Don't think I would use it for a tourney or anything like that and if good bait is available, then I'm using it....but chicken definitely saved at least one trip for me this past year.

Seems to be a lot of guys that catch decent fish on it, that wasn't my experience with it though. (Admittedly limited experience)

Sure feels weird using it too lolol!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My experience which is limited is that any type of cut/live fish is far better than my luck with chicken. However like mentioned above sometimes bait is tough to come by, so don't have much choice but to go with chicken.

I have started using some double hook rigs when dragging/suspending and put cut fish on the upper hook and chicken on the lower. I have mainly done this because I am running a larger hook on top. Still testing this but it seems like the chicken gets bit the most. I am guessing that the cut fish is what the catfish is actually targeting, but when following the scent it comes to the chicken first? Don't know but that is what I am guessing. I may switch the baits to see if it is just the back hook that is getting hit simply because they find it first when dragging.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
704 Posts
I supend fish it when I can't get fresh bait it does ok I used it plain with garlic and kool aid can't tell if one is better when it works it works when it doesn't it doesn't

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Tried all combos of chicken and the only thing I have caught is small channels. At least with night crawlers i can catch carp and drum aka ” cut bait”.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had decent results using cbmigp while drift fishing on Lake Ozark and the lower Osage River.
Don't recall ever getting bit on it while anchored up. Don't recall ever trying it on the Missouri.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I usually have some with me when I go out. I like to put garlic in with the jello. I've gotten a few channels on it but never had a day where that was the "it" bait. I run 4 poles usually and I take at least 4 different baits...I like the fish to have options 😂

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Since I'm old and from the BOC I'll enter this.
We were chatting about using chicken livers. Can't just pull one out of the package, put it on a hook and cast it out. Most of the time you'll see the liver fly elsewhere. Got to toughen them up some. One recipe was to lay them out on a cookie sheet. Add salt until they were white and let sit until you can see the liver again. Add powdered garlic until they are white. Flip them over and do the same to that side. Sit the sheet out in the sun for 2 hours, flip them and let sit for another 2 hours.
I did that with 2 containers, almost 3 pounds of chicken livers. Sat the sheet up high so my dog couldn't get to it. Got halfway across the yard and stopped. Went back for the sheet, carried them in the house. Dumped the livers in a bowl and filled with water. Chopped an onion, rinsed the livers, added a little flour and cooked them for my dinner.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I'm old and from the BOC I'll enter this.
We were chatting about using chicken livers. Can't just pull one out of the package, put it on a hook and cast it out. Most of the time you'll see the liver fly elsewhere. Got to toughen them up some. One recipe was to lay them out on a cookie sheet. Add salt until they were white and let sit until you can see the liver again. Add powdered garlic until they are white. Flip them over and do the same to that side. Sit the sheet out in the sun for 2 hours, flip them and let sit for another 2 hours.
I did that with 2 containers, almost 3 pounds of chicken livers. Sat the sheet up high so my dog couldn't get to it. Got halfway across the yard and stopped. Went back for the sheet, carried them in the house. Dumped the livers in a bowl and filled with water. Chopped an onion, rinsed the livers, added a little flour and cooked them for my dinner.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!:ROFLMAO:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts