More Merc 40 trouble

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Chief, May 25, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well after my disasterous trip to the river i dropped my boat back into the pond and couldnt even get it to start. i noticed when i took it back to the previous owner when i couldnt get it running before that he squirted some gas down where the spark plug went should i try this? i just cant believe it, i had it up and running real nice and now it wont start..talk about dissapointing:angry:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you have to prime your motor through the spark plug hole, you have more problems than you think. I'd suggest you save the pennies and get to to a reputable marine mechanic - your motor, your fun and your life could depend upon a "well" motor.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can squirt fuel in it and start it then you have a fuel supply problem. Some where inbetween the fuel tank and the carb.
    List what all you have done to fix the problems that you had.
    Go ahead and squirt some premix thru the carb and see if it will fire off and then get back to me. We will start at the tank and work forward to and into the carbs.

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well i squirted some premix down into the spark plug hole and got it to start. once i flip it out of choke it dies.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

To me it sounds like a fuel pump problem. Do you use plastic or metal gas tanks?

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it came with a metal tank. i took it apart and cleaned it real good when i first got it and checked all the fuel lines up to the motor

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the line loose from the carb to the fuel pump and see if any fuel is getting thru it. Those diaphragms are real tender in the fuel pumps and also if you don't have a in line filter on it I almost bet you have trash under the needle seat stopping the fuel flow. If you can borrow another tank to hook to it it might have a line collapsing inside but some where the fuel flow is stopping.

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    originally that was why i couldnt start it, there was a crack in that line so i took it back and the previous owner replaced it with a clear one. i've noticed there isnt a solid stream of fuel coming through it if i spin the part that the pull start engages more like every 1/4 inch there will be a little fuel.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Willard knows what he's talking about, so I won't interject here. But I will say this: scrap that metal tank and get a plastic one. The only metal tank worth having is a stainless steel tank. Anything else equals too much trouble.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton if that tank had any rust in it at all when you cleaned it out do as was suggested and get rid of it..

Clean that fuel system again and replace the fuel pump If that clear line is not fuel line then take it off. Gas will eat up the insides of a line that is not made for fuel.

That pick up tube going down into the fuel tank could have a pin hole rusted in it and when the fuel level gets below it then it fails to draw fuel. Get that fuel system completely redone or fight this gremlin for ever.

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    alright i'll save up for a new plastic tank