The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
That kayak looked to be awful stable. Are they more stable than a canoe? How about sitting in one? I can't sit much with my leg's folded because of lack of room under the seat. Watching that temps me to look for a kayak.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
Don, you might look at "Kayak Catfish" on youtube. He has used a couple of kayaks and has a specific video out on each explaining how he sets his up. His newest one was mainly because of a sore back from setting very low. It has him more on top of the kayak and because of stability is wider.

Now his kayaks are the higher end ones and are not cheap but he has said several time that he does not buy new kayaks but instead waits till this time of years and there tend to be several on the market with a big mark down because someone lost interest or doesn't have time to use it.

By knowing the brand and model, you can lookup the length and width.

If I weren't 70. I would have one or more. I could call what I have a kayak but because of my age and physical abilities now, it is 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. :coffee:

tight lines

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I am addicted to Kayak Catfishing U-tube videos, Mr. Johnson can't release them fast enough to suit me. My wife's birthday was Tuesday before last, she wanted either a band saw or a kayak. I got her both but had to order the Kayak which didn't arrive until yesterday, she took it out on the pond despite the cold. My knees are bad and if I get my butt lower than my knees I can't get back up so Kayaking is out for me. Thanks for posting the video I enjoyed it..

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would like to have one for the river, but would have to have one 36 inches or so wide. I would be servicing trot lines and it would require a lot of stability, possibility a outrigger.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Don, you might look at "Kayak Catfish" on youtube. He has used a couple of kayaks and has a specific video out on each explaining how he sets his up. His newest one was mainly because of a sore back from setting very low. It has him more on top of the kayak and because of stability is wider.

Now his kayaks are the higher end ones and are not cheap but he has said several time that he does not buy new kayaks but instead waits till this time of years and there tend to be several on the market with a big mark down because someone lost interest or doesn't have time to use it.

By knowing the brand and model, you can lookup the length and width.

If I weren't 70. I would have one or more. I could call what I have a kayak but because of my age and physical abilities now, it is 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. :coffee:

tight lines
Thank you. I'm 73!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts