More info about dead carp.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Threadkilla, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's pretty wild, Todd!

Bill in SC

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just showing a BOC buddy dead carp in a creek that runs thru my property JUST YESTERDAY.... then I come across THIS thread:crazy:
    Walk up the creek onto others property and there are dead carp EVERYWHERE! I wondered what the heck? Maybe some chemical? Now I wonder... koi herpes? Wonder where I can find little carp rubbers? anyone know? a bait shop restroom perhaps? :confused2:lol

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If anyone happens to come across a carp that is dying, but not dead, try to recover it and place it in a cooler, completely covered in ice, then contact DNR. They can arrange for someone to pick it up and have it autopsied by the folks that do that sort of thing, in order to determine exactly what the cause is.
    Scott Lamprecht is one of the top biologists in the area and he can arrange for an examination.

5. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy so far I am just seeing dead ones but there was bunch of them in angle Cove yesterday.
    I saw at least 50 or more floating on water.

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was on Moultrie last weekend and noticed all the dead carp as well. Didn't see any dying carp. But I did see about a dozen large river herring floating dead among the dead carp. Looked like they had small tan spots on them. Hope its nothing to worry about.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, a lot of the river herring and shad die off after spawning, so it isn't too unusual to see some of them this time of year.