More idiots on the GMR today. ( Part 7)

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just pulled in about 3:00 pm from fishing the Great Miami River at West Carrolton Dam and had the boat on the trailer and pulled around so a guy with an older Bass boat could get in at the ramp, anyways Im putting all my stuff away and half talking to this guy as he grumbled about the fact they pulled the docks this week so he uses a rope to tie the boat to the small loop on the concrete block ( base for the docks) so his boat wont float away as he backs in, anyways he backs in, and starts to pull out and then he gets out of his truck to check on t and by now, im all packed up and about 5 seconds from leaving when he yells "Hey, give me a hand, I need some help" so I run over there and realize his boat pulled free from the block and is now about 25 feet out from the ramp and now free drifting towards the Dam ( 10 or 12 ft dam) which is about 150 yards away, so he is freaking out and we quickly decide that we could launch my boat, and I could go get it, so he pulls out and I quickly pull in and launch the boat, anyways my boat was running funny as I came in and now it starts but wont stay started and in the process, the throttle cable came loose so I figure Ill paddle over too it and when I get to it, Ill drop anchor, fix my Throttle cable and then pull his boat back in, and so I catch up to it about 75 yards from the dam and yes, I can hear the rushing water and can see over the dam, it was quite scary!! So I drop anchor and fiddle with my throttle cable and get it fixed and then the motor starts and revs up, then when I put it into gear it dies, this happens about 20 times as I get within about 60 feet or so of the shore so I start throwing the anchor 15 feet at a time and pull us over to shore where he is waiting for me. I might mention my motor has been worked on 2 different times ( 400 dollars later ) and is now doing the same thing it did before?? Plus Im unemployed and so fixing it isnt an option right now so Im pretty sure the fishing season is over until spring when hopefully will have a job by then. That really bums me out but what made me mad was that when I get the boat over to shore, he jumps in his boat and tows me back to the dock so I can load up and he mumbles a tiny "thanks" and speeds off. Go figure, I can tell you if someone saved my POS boat from a total loss Id would have gotten his name and address and at the very least sent him 20 bucks for his effort and thats with me being unemployed, if I was working I would have been more generous. Part of me really wanted to see that boat on the news tonight but as a human I was called to help and did so, but again, its another case of stupidity on the GMR (Great Miami River) They just keep coming out even in the cold water.....

Until next time....
    Salmonid

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Let me say I am sorry for the guy Mark, Needless to say we have world full of jerks to day, But thankfully they don't out number the nice guys like your self I have helped a lot of people over the years and usually get it broke off in me every time, Last week a guy ran out of gas in front of my house, and he got out and started walking away, So I yelled at him and said hey I have enough gas to get you to the station, and I gave him my gas can for the lawn mower, it had about two gallons in it and said you can just replace the gas when you bring my can back. Well He put the gas in and Stopped at a house just up the street from my house. and never brought my can back. well a couple days passed and I seen his car their again, him and another guy were sitting in it. so I stopped and said Hey where the hell is my can. He said Oh, I will be right down with it. Well I have not seen him sense, come to find out he was moving out of town. So I got bit again. But you know what I will keep helping people Because It is in my nature and I am sure you are the same way. Thanks again Mark for being the nice guy.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good story on the gas, I have had simillar incidents, you are right, the world is full of Givers and Takers. I just never understood how the "Takers" can sleep at night.
    Salmonid

4. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I've had this problem on the Muskingum a few times. I was out just this past Friday. I was anchored up in my 14ft. deep v when a guy in a bass boat with a 175 h.p. came screamin by me. It was daylight, see saw me, but that did'nt make him slow down when he passed me within about 20yrds. Tossed my boat so bad I about fell in the river. I've had experiences with bass fishermen on the river and talking to them, and they seem to have a "look down on catfishermen" attitude. Now maybe not all bass fishermen think that way, and I my be wrong. But that is the way it seems to me.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Earlier in the day, i talked to a bass guy in a 20 ft Ranger ( top of the line ) and was pleasantly suprised he knew plenty about the cats and as he was suprised when I told him where the smallies should be and what i would throw at them, turns out on the way back down river he thanked me and told me "my" crankbait pattern got him 2 nice 13" smallies in a little over an hour as it was down right cold out there (40 overcast and slightly breezy)and he was leaving.
    It not the boat, folks, just some of the morons driving them that is the problem. It is everywhere Im sure but we certainly have more then our fair share of idiots here in the Buckeye state.:wink:

Salmonid

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Sorry to hear about your boat man, Jack has mine right now, he actually ask how your boat was running to.Weird that it is acting up now, after he just ask me that on saturday. I almost called you today too by the way to see of you had been doing any fishing on the GMR...Did you catch anything

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The cats have been hard to locate, water temps down to 47, I landed 2 channels today, had 2 more on, the bite was short today and the fights were a joke, like reeling in a wet rag. Both fish in the 3-4 lb range

And yup, Ill be calling Jack ( local Johnson dealer) tomorrow...
    Salmonid

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, if ya cant get the motor fixed your more than welcome to borrow my 9.9 tiller if ya want. see how nice us "cat" guys are?:big_smile:

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is unreal. You saved his boat which saved him money and what not. He mumbles thanks and speeds off. That is unreal. It is good to see you were the better man that day and even better to hear it didn't turn around to bite you on the butt.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark you must be a better man than me cause I would have been livid about that shoddy treatment. Maybe you were and have calmed down now but still that is some bad treatment. I will, and always have tried to help someone I see in need. But stories like you relate make me wonder sometimes if I should even bother. I could not imagine myself in that guys situation and then just drive off. I would have been shaking your hand to death and offering to wash your car for a month. I've been on the other end a few times where I could use just a bit of help and and I see a couple guys just standing and watching, never even looked twice, didn't offer to help.. Not their problem, I guess. What a great era we live in.

One other thing, I heard there was some kind of big game this weekend, anyone else heard about it?