More helpful hints

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Have you ever dropped your digitial camera or cell phone in the bait thank, left it out and it rained on it or just sat it down some place and got moisture in it ? DON'T THROW IT AWAY, a high percentage of the time you can salvage it. Shake the excess water off of it, plus take the batteries out of the camera, and place it in the sun for several hour. You will see moisture accumulate in/on the display screen, this is a good thing, because it lets you know that the moisture is trying to get out. After it has been in the sun for several hours, place it in a zip lock bag with a moisture capsule or rice, reseal the package and let it be for 12 hours or so. Place the batteries back in the camera and see if it works, if not repeat the foregoing procedure. For the cell phone, take it out of the zip lock bag and plug in your charger plug to the phone. This will open up the electrical circuits and it should work. I have done this with my digital camera and cell phone within the past three months. Both are working fine.

The other day I got a message on my sonar screen that the GPS modem was not functioning. So, I called my electronics bud and he told me to discount all the rear plug ins and spray some WD 40 or Blakemores Contact cleaner on them and replug the unit. Everything went back to working like it was suppose too. While I'm on the subject of electronics (fish finders), has your unit ever gone down and then come back up again. This is the first sign of a weak or bad battery. The fish finder is more senstive to electerical flow than any other piece of equipment that you have. When you get back in from fishing, check for a bad cell and if none registers, charge your battery.

Are you young fellow taking care of yourself while you are out fishing. Such as using sun screen on a regular basis. If not, you need to read up on the subject. A lot of us ol timers are treated annually for skin cancer due to us not using sun screen or covering our bodies while fishing when we were younger. I have friends that have had parts of their external ear removed, portion of their noses removed, scars on their forehead, etc. due to skin cancer. After you use the sun screen wash your hands with soap and water and dry your hands before handling your baits. You do not want to transfer the odor of the sun screen to the bait.

When fishing in the sun and wind, you need to keep yourself hydrated and the best fluid for this is water. You do not need to drink a lot of water at one time, just take some sips of it and put it back in your cooler and repeat thruout the trip. Beer is not a good hydrated and in some states can get you in trouble if you drink and operated your boat.

Keep a plastic bag handy in your boat for trash, fishing line or any other thing that you dispose of while fishing or boating. Secure the bag when you are ready to travel on the water. When you take your boat out of the water, get the trash bag and put it in your truck, so it will not blow out of the boat onto the public highways.

Thanks for reading 'More helpful hints' and I hope it helps you when the need arises.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This is very good advice Mac. Only thing I'd make clear is to make sure you remove those batteries right then. Do not try to turn it on or check it out until AFTER you've followed Mac's advice to the letter. Might take a few hours, or even a few days to dry it out, but you'll be glad you if it works.

3. nelson133

nelson133 New Member

State:
    MI
    What works even better is a food dehydrator. I salvaged a phone and a Kindle with mine.