More Fox River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Polish Moose, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out two of the last three nights, flatheads remain consistent if not big. One 7.5 lbs out of Batavia, and one 7 lbs out of St. Charles both quickly released. Missed another one in St. Charles when I went to set the hook on the hit and got sawed off on something down there. One second I'm free spooling, I set the hook, nothing, completely sliced off on something nasty. I keep hoping it was a smaller fish, it makes it easier to accept.

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Told ya...braided line:lol:j/k .Did you get to go out last night?I just seen the missed calls.My gums wouldnt stop bleeding ever since i got back from the dentist,so i just took some medication and went to bed early.Did you get to try the spot last night?I`m definitely,100% for sure going out tonight.Give me a call.

3. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if you're fishing around concrete and stuff I'd go with 20# mono and not braid. I don't know if that's what you were saying Ryder, but that thicker mono and get scraped and still hold if there's some give in the drag.

Shawn

4. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shawn I'm with you, I like mono (although I think I'm spooled with 30 lb test). I know some prefer braided line, but I do not. If you crank down the drag on 30 lb mono, that is plenty of power. Certainly more than enough for the Fox. To each their own, tight lines!

5. tikiman

tikiman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that stinks but the others are not too bad.

6. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Personally I think Braid is the way to go... it has no stretch and is very hard to cut... you can feel every bite on the line.... But I use big game Mono as a leader line so your not constantlly cutting your braid up.

I Use Spiderwire 80lbs Ultra Braid... comes in yellow package.... Its "VERY" strong and Casts smooth with No tangles...doesnt fray.... other than most other braids... Its the best Braid you can buy other than the Berkley Whiplash (if you can find any)

So you line your Pole with the Braid... to a 75lbs or 125lbs Triple Swivel connect a 7" 60lbs leader of mono to a 2-4oz wieght, and the other line set as a 24" lenth for 60 - 80lbs mono with a 9/0 or 10/0 circle hook...
    And your ready to rock'n Roll.. You get the best of both worlds.... Strong Sesitive line from the Braid.... and your Stretch of the Mono for when the Cats rub up agaist Rocks and Stuff.

I pulled Some Mosters Using this setup... but also works well on the Small Cats too. :wink: :cool2: